409 chevy will not start when it gets hot

Old 05-20-2012, 01:50 PM
nashtychevy
SHOW GUEST

Default 409 chevy will not start when it gets hot

Have a 64 ss impala Convertable With 409 Only 5000 Miles On rebuild ,Top Down Weather Wont start when You Drive The car And It gets Hot .New Battery New Napa Gm Starter It Does Have The Orginal Voltage Porcelain resistor It Wont Even Turn Over Its Just Plain dead ,When Cold You Hardly hit The starter and Its running ,Any Suggestions Would Help thanks Tony
Old 05-20-2012, 03:05 PM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

Do you have juice any where else? Lights work? Radio ? Heater motor ?
Old 05-20-2012, 03:44 PM
nashtychevy
SHOW GUEST

Originally Posted by DrivingMissDD
Do you have juice any where else? Lights work? Radio ? Heater motor ?
Yes I Have Juice To Everything Else Including Lights Radio Horn Heater Thanks For Your Help Tony
Old 05-20-2012, 04:00 PM
bcw49
SENIOR BUILDER

Your starter may be getting heat soaked. Is your exhaust close to the starter? You may need to get a shield for the starter, or a remote start set up, or a mini starter that will have more clearence between it and the exhaust. Just a couple of idea's that might help. Sounds like a KOOL car.
Old 05-20-2012, 04:07 PM
fla1976
RACING JUNKIE

Have you checked the cables for conductivity?
Old 05-20-2012, 04:47 PM
markdunlap
DYNO OPERATOR

Default 409

Do you have 12 volts to ground on the small wire on the starter solenoid when you turn the key to start?

If not back up till you find it.

If so, do you have 12 volts on the big wire on the solenoid.

If you have room, get a remote starter button and hook across the big wire and the little wire and see if it turns over when you push the button.

With the key on, it should start off the remote button.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:50 AM
roadkill2
RACING JUNKIE

Will the starter work if you jump from the Battery cable to the "S" terminal on the solenoid?

If it does, you probably need what is termed a "Hot Start Kit" which, basically, is a 12V-40 A relay, primary would be the "S" wire, and the secondary, a 14 Ga wire switched through the Relay to the "S" terminal on the solenoid.

GM's "better idea" (Way back when) was an 18 ga "S" wire and over the years, some of the strands in that wire apparently get frayed (especially in cars w/ tilt steering wheels) and with the new quarter wound solenoids, you don't provide enough amperage to make the electromagnetic switch in the solenoid work . . .

Went through this with my street rod a few years back . . Haven't had a starting problem since I applied this little device . .
Old 05-21-2012, 08:55 AM
hotrod1994
EXPERT BUILDER

check your timing my dads always told me if its set wrong after it get hot it will crank really hard idk just a thought
Old 06-05-2012, 04:43 AM
qiksix
CRAFTSMAN

I had a 350 do the same thing after a rebuild, turned out it didn't have enough crankshafft endfloat was picking up the bearing when getting hot.
Old 06-13-2012, 04:24 PM
Scooterz
RACING JUNKIE

I had the same issue on the last BBC in my 69 Camaro... it was correct V's, wiring looked good, I had a heat shield, etc... would start cold... but when hot & could barely even get a "click"/ or movement when starting. Bought a new mini starter. Upon taking the old starter out, I found that the starter motor base was not tight to the mounting plate... you could wiggle it some... just a little... I tightened it & used some Blue Loctite & never had that issue again. Good luck!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -