WARNING ABOUT EAGLE CRANKS!

Old 02-26-2010, 11:29 AM
kikgas01
APPRENTICE

Originally Posted by zipper06
I know it's out of pocket money, but if i owned the crank i would have it xrayed to see how deep the crack is. Magnaflux with not tell you this, it will only show the crack which you can already see.
About Eagle's operation, yes the forgings are rough machined oversea's just as Scat, Callies Compustar, Ohio crankshaft, just too name a few. Once they come to Eagle they are heat treated, rough ground and indexed, then polished then nitrided and elecro etched (logo) I donot believe most cranks are magnafluxed by any of the manufacturs.
I do think that Eagle should have stood behind the product though. I guess it has to do with who bought the crank, since most of the public cannot purchase their products directly, only thru their dealer network. In the situation that happened on the 2 cranks that i mentioned in the earlier post, living as close to Eagle as we did, we were in on the ground floor when Eagle started and bought direct, just as I/we still do from bullit, BTE, PTC, and a few other local manufacturs.
I'm in agreement with the other posters, talk directly with the shop/company that you purchased it thru, talking with Eagle directly, they won't feel the impact as they would from one of their dealers.

JMO

Zip.
Heat it up and oil oozes out of the crack..........
Old 02-26-2010, 04:48 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Heat it up and oil oozes out of the crack..........

That being the case the crack has too go all the way to the cross drilled oiling holes. I would think xray shots would show that and would be enough to get Eagles attention, especially since the crank shows no other physical damage. Probably a $50.00 investment to get back some of the $500.00 plus original payment for the crank.

JMO

Zip.
Old 02-26-2010, 08:20 PM
cncmotorsports
MASTER BUILDER

All Eagle cranks are finished over seas, they do not finish any of them in the USA. As for issues, I could write a book of the problems we have had with there products over the last 8 years. All in all, Eagle is by far the largest, aftermarket supplier of cranks and rods. Yes, it sucks, but this stuff happens.
For the money they are a good product, but you have to check them out very carefully before use.
If you bought this crank from a well known buyer that does some volume with eagle, they could have warrantied the crankshaft for you.

Did you balance the crankshaft ? and are you running a fluid Damper ?
From the looks of your pictures this looks like a scratch, not a crack.
Did you check the sizing of the journal ?
Old 02-27-2010, 07:09 AM
promod45
JUNIOR BUILDER

Default cranks

i had bought a eagle cast crank for a 455 pontiac and the journals looked good and mic out good but the rest of the crank looked like it was swiss cheese it was the sadest crank i have ever seen and sent it back and i got another one that looked the same, it was not even close to smooth on the counter weight like a stock cast crank from chev or ford or any other car company. After that i have not been a big fan of there stuff but i have seen there top line cranks and they looked good so i would have to say there lower end is not what i would buy
Old 02-27-2010, 10:26 AM
deepockets
CRAFTSMAN

so asuming it failed due to bad forging, who's crank you gona run now?
Old 02-27-2010, 12:25 PM
kikgas01
APPRENTICE

Once again,the crack is all the way through, oil oozes out the crack when heated, no need for xrays. I bought a ohio crank.NO fluid dampner and it was purchased as a balanced rotating assembly...
Old 02-27-2010, 12:58 PM
deepockets
CRAFTSMAN

cnc motorsports, i have one of your 4.150 mopar cranks on my watch list on ebay that i'm considering, how would you handle this in the event of it happening?
Old 02-28-2010, 05:00 PM
cncmotorsports
MASTER BUILDER

This is a touchy case to handle, you need to carefully take everything into consideration.
Poor engine building practices cause most failures, however we have seen our fair share of product failures do to poor quality.

If it was a balanced kit from us, we could get the crankshaft warrantied.

This is the toughest thing everybody needs to look at. When your dealing with Chinese or imported products, there is no constancy with any of it..

There is a reason why it is less expensive, you get what you pay for.

All in all, Eagle does have some flaws, but they do make a pretty good product for what you paying for it.

As for the cast cranks, some of them are pretty rough, but they are designed for mild performance.

www.cnc-motorsports.com
Buy threw the site, much cheaper, or call
Old 02-28-2010, 06:50 PM
kikgas01
APPRENTICE

I got what I payed for LOL.. :lol: The crankshaft still sits in my garage. Works excellent for a doorstop. I`m sure most stuff is good, I just got a bad one. Things happen. A better question is,did I learn from my experience? It sits right next to my Moser axel that snapped in my old Camaro with a 468. They(Moser) sent me a new one and didn`t want the old one. I snapped the end clean off.
Old 03-21-2010, 01:01 PM
mopar1962
JUNIOR BUILDER

how was your oil pressure before this happenned? what psi? To many variables to consider but heres a good next build,try a 400 block,440 block main webbing is crap when compared to a 400 block,and the 400 has a bigger bore,stroke it and outrun a same built 440 all day long.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -