Oil pressure

Old 09-17-2008, 06:36 PM
skipjobe
CRAFTSMAN

Default storm

We got slammed thank the Lord we came out out healthy, I had 8 major trees fall and missed all the buildings. No power and my generator crapped out. Ran great for two days coil failed. back ordered to October. BBQing alot of meat before it spoiles mon by. I guess we will get back on the oil pressure next week or so.
Old 09-17-2008, 09:12 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: storm

Originally Posted by skipjobe
We got slammed thank the Lord we came out out healthy, I had 8 major trees fall and missed all the buildings. No power and my generator crapped out. Ran great for two days coil failed. back ordered to October. BBQing alot of meat before it spoiles mon by. I guess we will get back on the oil pressure next week or so.
Dude, i've been wondering about you since your last post. i'm glad you and your family made it thru with all in tact and no major damage to your house. I know it may be weeks before all the power is restored, but health and saftey is formost and the other things will fall in line. For me IKE, totally missed me, it went northwest. I just got my yard back in order from Gustof today and that was 2 weeks ago, and donot want to see another in my lifetime.

Zip.
Old 09-25-2008, 08:18 PM
skipjobe
CRAFTSMAN

Default oil pressure

We are finally straightened out from the storm, waiting for adjuster. Lots of clean up.
I called Melling today. They think the oil pump is cavitating at higher rpm, they recommended a pump with 10% higher volume part # 10552c with a anti cavitation oil screen that bolts on. I guess I will order one and give it a try.
Old 10-06-2008, 05:12 PM
skipjobe
CRAFTSMAN

Default oil pressure

Changed the oil pump on Sunday, I installed the pump that was in the motor before it was rebuilt that worked fine. Set the oil pick up to 3/8 from bottom of pan added a factory filter and still start loosing pressure at somewhere between 5500 and 6000.
I called Melling and they think the pump is cavitating, but this pump did not cavitate in this engine before up to 6800
The only thing I can think of is I had the builder add a torque plate to stiffen up the motor. Any ideas? I am stumped.
Old 10-12-2008, 02:13 PM
ocalasp76
SHOW GUEST

Default FROM FLORI-DUH

On SBC motors there is an oil by-pass port located in the oil filter mount. We always plug this port so we have pressure at high RPM's. Also, we use the Fram HP-4 filter, it's more free flowing. Check out the port hole after removing the filter. Good luck.
---JIM----
Old 10-13-2008, 05:39 PM
skipjobe
CRAFTSMAN

Default Oil Pressure

I put on a moroso pan and removed the oil cooler now we have 80 psi @ 6000 rpm. Thanks
Old 10-13-2008, 05:54 PM
ocalasp76
SHOW GUEST

WOW....What could be the blockage in the cooler or its lines?? :shock:
----JIM-----
Old 10-13-2008, 10:36 PM
outlaw256
RACING JUNKIE

is there any other way besides blockage that could cause oil cooler to be the culprit.i just traded for a car that has a cooler and the oil pressure is about 20 at idle and 40 going down the road. way to low for me but the car dont rattle, knock etc. im planning on freshening her up this winter but i sure would like to drive her for now.anyway i cant think of anything in a coo;er that could cause that but blockage.
Old 10-14-2008, 08:22 AM
suicidebomb
RACING JUNKIE

If there are any rubber lines going to or from the cooler, and those lines were expanding( ballooning), wouldn't that cause the pressure to drop at the gauge? I don't know, it might not be enough to show that much of a drop. Of course if they are hard lines, this would not apply at all. Just a thought.
Old 10-17-2008, 04:56 PM
skipjobe
CRAFTSMAN

Default Oil pressure

The oil cooler on this car has water going to the radiator rather than oil. So I suspect it was the pan.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -