Internet Car Buying

Old 02-17-2008, 06:55 AM
Oldewalnut
SENIOR BUILDER

Default Internet Car Buying

I know I'm new to this site. I have a few nagging questions and thoughts.

First off, I'm not a youngster, so, the new ways of doing things thru technology, don't come that easily to me. On top of this, my wife works for a body shop that has dealt with both custom and race cars. I have seen some of the "blind" purchases made by individuals. Let me just say, some of the vehicles were "less than advertised" when compared to the ads. That of itself has me leery of sending someone a check and then waiting for a vehicle to be dropped off at my door.

I've been scouring this and other sites, possibly looking for a car to use as a new project. I haven't bought a car for racing purposes in 30 years. I'll grant, things have changed but buying a car is still, buying a car. Some of the ads, just seem arrogant in their wording. First off, ads with no pictures. If you have no picture of the vehicle, I just bypass the ad, why would I want to purchase something I have no idea of what it's potential appearence is? Admittedly, I just bypass most of these.

My next point, regards sellers discouraging "tire kickers". Here again, I appologise for this but, I don't care how well worded an ad is. I'm still going to have questions. That's always been a part of the buy/sell game. Your going to get alot more gawkers and lookers than you ever will buyers.If you aren't willing to field questions, how serious are you about selling?

On the other hand, yes, I understand, one gets tired of BS. That guy yanking your chain just might be trying to see how firm you are on your price or he might just be real skeptical of whether what you have is really, "what you say you have"? Look at it another way, how many times have you purchased something only to find out it wasn't exactly what you thought it was. It's one thing, if it was a $60 dollar item from a swap meet or flea market, yet, it's quite another if it's a $6,000 or more rolling chassis purchased from 3 or more states away. Or worse, from clear across the country.

On the other hand, I guess I'm just too old fashioned, "old school", as my co-workers refer to me. I need to see a car before I'd entertain making an offer for it. That's why I told a friend I won't even bother with EBAY. I have a co-worker that purchaced a Corvette form California, it was not the car he expected for the money spent. If I purchase something from here, I will make the trip to see it before you'll get any money. If that's a deal killer, then I won't waste my time.

In the end, "caveat emptor" (hope I spelled that correctly) still pevails. Hope the long rant doesn't get me in trouble here.

Just a spiel from an old guy thinking he might like to drag race again,
Old 02-17-2008, 07:32 AM
lively
RACING JUNKIE

LOTS OF GOOD POINTS IN YOUR POST!!! I AGREE THAT YOU HAVE TO BE VERY DUMB OR GULLIBLE TO BUY SIGHT UNSEEN. I WANT TO ASK ???? AND IF THE BUYER DON'T WANT TO ANSWER THEM THEN I CAN GO LOOKING SOMEWHERE ELSE!!! :roll: :roll: TIREKICKING IS PART OF THE PROCESS[ LIKE IT OR NOT] 8) 8) --I DO SELL AND TRADE ALOT!!. WELCOME TO THE SITE AND LET US KNOW WHAT YOUR LOOKING FOR [ WE MIGHT BE ABLE TO HELP YOU FIND IT] :lol: :lol: :lol:

LIVELY IN ILLINOIS
Old 02-17-2008, 09:43 AM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Very good points. I personally would never buy a car without driving/flying to see it and at that I'd take several pictures of the car so you knew everything was going to be there for either when you came back to get it or sent someone to get it. Its a sad but you have to look for the deal you want and cover your rear doing it.
Old 02-17-2008, 10:57 AM
Oldewalnut
SENIOR BUILDER

Default Old Cars;

Thanks guys.

What I'm trying to find. I have been trolling the waters for an 80's-90's Mustang roller with an unmolested suspension. Mods are OK but really don't want a tubed, tubbed big tire car. Truly, if I could find an 80's car that could possibly be used for NHRA/IHRA stock eliminator, that would be even better. Probably get my a-- handed to me on a platter, sure would love to do a Points Meet again.

As I stated in my introductory post, I still have a 1966 Chevy II Super Pro car that hasn't seen the light of day in 20 years. The friend that partnered with me on that car is wanting to start it's restoration sometime this summer. So, I already have the big tire, fast car. It's going to take ALOT of work to both bring this car back to life, in addition make it current for todays racing. It is going to be a long term project.

I've looked at plenty of cars, just haven't found one that hits me just yet. My plan is pretty simple. Just want a car that I can tosss a "junkyard motor and transmission" into and take it to the local tracks around here. Just want to get my feet wet again and relearn the ropes. Not looking to go fast. Plus, I started out in Fords and I want another one. Then maybe I can re-enter the class raciing realm?
Old 02-17-2008, 11:38 AM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

I have a buddy that is a mustang nut I wouldnt be suprised if had something your looking for. I'd hate to guess how many cars he has right now :shock: I will check with him.
Old 02-17-2008, 12:41 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: Internet Car Buying

Originally Posted by Oldewalnut
I know I'm new to this site. I have a few nagging questions and thoughts.

First off, I'm not a youngster, so, the new ways of doing things thru technology, don't come that easily to me. On top of this, my wife works for a body shop that has dealt with both custom and race cars. I have seen some of the "blind" purchases made by individuals. Let me just say, some of the vehicles were "less than advertised" when compared to the ads. That of itself has me leery of sending someone a check and then waiting for a vehicle to be dropped off at my door.

I've been scouring this and other sites, possibly looking for a car to use as a new project. I haven't bought a car for racing purposes in 30 years. I'll grant, things have changed but buying a car is still, buying a car. Some of the ads, just seem arrogant in their wording. First off, ads with no pictures. If you have no picture of the vehicle, I just bypass the ad, why would I want to purchase something I have no idea of what it's potential appearence is? Admittedly, I just bypass most of these.

My next point, regards sellers discouraging "tire kickers". Here again, I appologise for this but, I don't care how well worded an ad is. I'm still going to have questions. That's always been a part of the buy/sell game. Your going to get alot more gawkers and lookers than you ever will buyers.If you aren't willing to field questions, how serious are you about selling?

On the other hand, yes, I understand, one gets tired of BS. That guy yanking your chain just might be trying to see how firm you are on your price or he might just be real skeptical of whether what you have is really, "what you say you have"? Look at it another way, how many times have you purchased something only to find out it wasn't exactly what you thought it was. It's one thing, if it was a $60 dollar item from a swap meet or flea market, yet, it's quite another if it's a $6,000 or more rolling chassis purchased from 3 or more states away. Or worse, from clear across the country.

On the other hand, I guess I'm just too old fashioned, "old school", as my co-workers refer to me. I need to see a car before I'd entertain making an offer for it. That's why I told a friend I won't even bother with EBAY. I have a co-worker that purchaced a Corvette form California, it was not the car he expected for the money spent. If I purchase something from here, I will make the trip to see it before you'll get any money. If that's a deal killer, then I won't waste my time.

In the end, "caveat emptor" (hope I spelled that correctly) still pevails. Hope the long rant doesn't get me in trouble here.

Just a spiel from an old guy thinking he might like to drag race again,
HEY Robert...I'm in Franklin, IN just down the road from you.
Old 02-17-2008, 01:50 PM
aaaaaaaaaaaaa
MASTER BUILDER

i would never send the money without lookn at the car IMO...most people are either liers or idiots...so go look at the ride
Old 02-17-2008, 03:57 PM
Oldewalnut
SENIOR BUILDER

Default Re: Internet Car Buying

[quote="Tod74
HEY Robert...I'm in Franklin, IN just down the road from you. :D[/quote]

Tod,

Hmm, that's kewl. You may know one of the guys that has gotten my interest rekindled. Do you by chance know Rick Willard? He's a shade younger than I, we go back better than 30 some years, when we were both street racing. Through circumstance, Rick and I ended up working together, spent alot of time reminicing. He stayed involved with this, mainly building street cars.

I'm not much connected any longer. Been away from this stuff so long, I'll look like a real rookie, if I can find a way to get involved again. This is one of those things that you can get away from but it stays in your blood. Where I live, if the winds blow right, I can hear the cars over at Brown County Dragway. Back in the day, spent alot of time there but that's been 20 years ago.

I'll have to find a car first. Go over there and harrass Jimmy Callon and the rest of his family. Used to work with Jimmy at the Arvin Plant. He tried to get me reinterested a few years back but the timing just wasn't right.

Nice looking Nova by the way. Maybe we could hook up for a cup of joe sometime,
Old 02-17-2008, 04:32 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

I worked at the Arvin plant for 12 years before they closed it down.

you mean "Jimmy C" he don't know me but I know of him.
Old 02-18-2008, 01:30 PM
Oldewalnut
SENIOR BUILDER

Default The Arvin Plant

Originally Posted by Tod74
I worked at the Arvin plant for 12 years before they closed it down. :D

you mean "Jimmy C" he don't know me but I know of him.
Too funny! I think most everyone from about 6 counties has worked there at one time or another. Or has had a relative that worked there. I was a double dipper, spent better than 20 years at the Greenwood Plant, closed it down, then spent another 10 at Franklin. Odds are better than not, we've crossed paths. For sure we know alot of the same people, LOL.

Small world.

And yeah, Jimmy C has got alot of noteriety.