witch is the better one msd6al or 7al-3

Old 11-26-2008, 06:38 AM
jmarksdragster
RACING JUNKIE

I ran a Digital 6 in my old car with no issues. Two step and rev limiter are built in as well as a start retard. A Digital 7 has the ability to adjust the timing curve for individual cylinders as well as a different one for I believe up to 6 gear changes. Some models have slew rate adjustments, retards the timing if the RPM's climb too quick. Not legal in some classes though. Inputs for NOS retard also adjustable. You don't want to be holding the coil wire on this one!!!! :shock:
Old 11-26-2008, 07:45 AM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

I looked at getting the digital 6 also, but didnt not have a 3 step or retards built in for nitrous.

The digital 7 is the cats a$$ other then one fault it has, they have a trip out circuit on them. if they trip box is done for 24hrs untill it reboots... I lost count the people who were watching a day of racing because of this.
Old 11-26-2008, 10:44 AM
jmarksdragster
RACING JUNKIE

I have not had an issue with that on the new car, that feature is on the 7530T, others don't have it. However the ones without are not legal in some classes.
Old 11-26-2008, 01:38 PM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by jmarksdragster
I have not had an issue with that on the new car, that feature is on the 7530T, others don't have it. However the ones without are not legal in some classes.
Correct and wouldnt that be a pain in the rear to sit out because of that :twisted:
Old 11-28-2008, 12:15 PM
ep33510
SHOW GUEST

Default msd 6AL vs 7AL3

talgregory

If you are already using a two step and such and just want to step up the boxes output take a look at the MSD 6631 HVC box & the MSD 8250 coil. The boxes output is the same as the MSD 7AL3 and has the same foot print as a MSD 6AL. If you run the MSD 7AL3 be sure to use the MSD 8251 coil to get everything out of the box. Also a couple of headsup things about the MSD 7AL3 as for setup. You will find that once installed you will need to advance your timing 2 to 3 degrees to get the engine to run right. Also if you don't use the RET'S #1 - #4 make sure to have zero chips in each socket. If you don't the box will lose its mind and ruin your day!
Old 11-28-2008, 05:57 PM
dparker
RACING JUNKIE

Hey Patrick,
I've ran a 7al3 for the last 10years and have never put anything but zero chips in the retard slots. What am I missing out on. Should I be taking advantage of the retard 1-4? And if so where do I start.
Old 11-28-2008, 06:57 PM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by dparker
Hey Patrick,
I've ran a 7al3 for the last 10years and have never put anything but zero chips in the retard slots. What am I missing out on. Should I be taking advantage of the retard 1-4? And if so where do I start.
I think what he was saying was make sure you do have Zero's in them, talk a nightmare if you dont. Causes all kinds of issues, misses if you do not zero them.
Old 11-28-2008, 07:54 PM
dparker
RACING JUNKIE

I always have. But I have always wondered if retarding the timing down track might give me more MPH. What is each slot for? And when would you use them?
Old 11-28-2008, 08:04 PM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by dparker
I always have. But I have always wondered if retarding the timing down track might give me more MPH. What is each slot for? And when would you use them?
Being the 7al3 takes 20-25 degrees out for start retard most dont run it, they wire Retard 1 for 10 degrees for start retard, I use my retards for nitrous only which is what most use them for.
Old 12-04-2008, 03:23 AM
pkracing50
SHOW GUEST

i have a 7531(haven't used yet) does this box have this "trip" deal on it? can't say i ever heard of this one, and not looking forward to it either lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -