Sellers: Do you really wonder why your stuff doesn't sell?

Old 02-28-2014, 02:44 PM
bhp2dopp
SHOW GUEST

Default Sellers: Do you really wonder why your stuff doesn't sell?

So this is a bit of a rant from a potential buyer, but it boggles the mind that some people honestly expect to sell a vehicle "over the internet" with some of the pictures posted and info given.

Long story short, I'm looking for a mustang roller. I've contacted several people (sellers) both in text and in phone calls made where we've always had a conversation.

As a seller myself, I know how much a royal PITA tire kickers can be. Either you are serious or you're not. I agree I don't want my time wasted anymore than any other seller does.

But to all you sellers, when you say you are going to "take pictures of X,Y,Z" actually do it! When you say you are going to check to see if you can find that lost title, actually do it! When you say you are going to give a complete list of items on the car, actually do it!

I simply cannot understand it tbh. People wonder why there are tire kickers, yet say f' all in the add in the 1st place. Then there's the add of a car taken with a cell phone camera at midnight that must've been taken when the photographer was at a full blown sprint!

I mean, does anyone want to actually sell something? You took the time to write up an add, and even thought about how much to ask for it. Why in the heck can't some of these sellers realize that a website that has potential buyers all throughout the 50 states and beyond, how they might actually want a good picture or good information about a car before they waste either driving all day with a trailer, time off work, fuel, money, etc.? Is this concept really hard to understand?

I see soo many godawful posted adds here, I've just plain stopped responding to them. And when the seller doesn't do what they say they are going to do (take a picture, give some details, ((really hard stuff I know))) for something THEY are trying to sell to a potential BUYER, how good do you think the transaction is going to go over with someone who is having to road trip to make it out there?

I swear, it's like common sense is completely thrown out the window nowadays. The best one's though, are the sellers that specifically write "serious buyers only / no tire kickers / don't waste my time!!! etc.," yet have one picture of the car (a crappy one at that) and a whopping 4 sentences of text trying to explain the whole thing. My favorite ending "Too much too list". What do you people expect? Not for anyone to ask questions?

Sorry for the rant, but I was just hit with 4 out of 4 of sellers that are essentially wasting MY time. And I'm the easiest person to deal with. I have the money. Just give me the info for crying out loud lol!

Just an observation on my past week's experience trying to BUY!!!! a car.
Old 02-28-2014, 03:45 PM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

All good points. Maybe a section in the classifieds, posting a 'guide' to SUCCESSFULLY and EFFECTIVELY listing your stuff for sale, is in order......
Old 02-28-2014, 05:50 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Yep..Agreed.

Now come buy my 4 sec 10.5 1967 Outlaw Nova. Don't waste your time with those (everbody has one ) mustangs.....Jk lol...on the mustang anyhow...

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 02-28-2014, 07:28 PM
mytmouz
RACING JUNKIE

As a 'former' seller, I can point out what made me stop running ads. You take pictures, post a price, give a description, then the 'buyers' want ten thousand pictures. Waste time doing that and the follow up messages and calls about the same thing over and over, then they offer you 3500 for 13,000 ride. I realize a buyer wants a bargain, and to be sure what they get, but my time is valuable to. Funny how asking for a deposit to cover your time and effort makes them disappear...

Flame away! Lol...
Old 03-01-2014, 03:05 AM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by mytmouz
As a 'former' seller, I can point out what made me stop running ads. You take pictures, post a price, give a description, then the 'buyers' want ten thousand pictures. Waste time doing that and the follow up messages and calls about the same thing over and over, then they offer you 3500 for 13,000 ride. I realize a buyer wants a bargain, and to be sure what they get, but my time is valuable to. Funny how asking for a deposit to cover your time and effort makes them disappear...

Flame away! Lol...
Pretty much why my Nova is not advertised right now but on the flip side a few years ago I sold a top notch 63 vette well over the 60k mark to a man out of the country. You better believe I dealt with all that you mentioned and then some. Botton line had I not went ahead and posted the ad I might still have the vette. This tire kicking is part of it the question is what your willing to put up with.

I may try the Nova again here in spring if a local guy doesn't get on board.

Old 03-01-2014, 06:34 AM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

Selling race cars on the world wide web is akin to online dating ....LOTS of dreamers, phonies, scammers .

:shock: :shock: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Old 03-01-2014, 09:47 AM
bhp2dopp
SHOW GUEST

Flame away! Lol...
But the real questions is: Why are they asking questions in the 1st place? Why do they need to see more pictures etc?

When I sell a race car, I have the add broken down into every minute detail there is. Every single component in the engine, the type of tranny (if it's a pro build from a company or the parts in it if it's something I assembled), all the suspension components and brands, the entirety of the rear end (what diff/spool/axles, gear ratio and brands of parts), and I basically do that from the engine, transmission, suspension, fuel system, interior, rear end, brakes, and all the accessories. This also includes sizes of the jets (if a NOS application), # of passes on the parts, etc.

So basically the only questions anyone ever ask me about the car I'm selling in the 1st place is do you have any more pictures, or "does the cigar lighter work"? All the 1000's of questions people ask are because SELLERS don't detail their add. Again, if I'm a buyer I want to know what I'm buying. A blanket statement like "it's built with the best of the best", doesn't cut it.

And I'm sorry that people want to see pictures, but this is the easiest process to prepare. When I'm selling something, I'll either put it on the hoist or on some jackstands, pull the wheels, and take PICTURES of everything. That includes every single cage weld, every detail of the interior, every detail of the exterior (from close up everywhere to far away shots) to every single detail of the suspension (front and rear) to every detail of the fuel system, under hood, trunk lid. You name it, I have pictures of it. And I do this with a camera (not a damn cell phone) and have 2600x1600 resolution (these pictures are huge and detailed)

But the beauty of the internet is there are a million different free file storage spots to upload your pictures to. So once you are all done taking the pictures (only need to do it once) you zip them all up into one single file and then upload them to one of these upload sites. That upload site gives you a hyperlink to use to download your .zip file.

So essentially, anytime anyone asks for more pictures all you have to do is send them one simple link that you either have copied to your cell (so you can text it to them) or you can simply send them the link in a PM or email (depending on who asked). So the entire process of "sending" pictures is as simple as copy and pasting one single link that will lead the buyer to all the pictures he can handle.

My point is, if you expect to sell something, you actually have to SELL something and give details. We all know what's in a 93 Z28 with a manual tranny from a dealership. But us buyers have every right to know all the parts they are trying to buy in a race car.

So what I've said above, from start to finish, (from a detailed ad to taking the pics, uploading them, and then getting a link) might take a couple hours to do (depending on your typing ability), but that 2 hours of work makes selling a breeze as the buyer can't really ask any questions if everything he asks about is already detailed in the add. And when sending pictures is a mouse click or a simple text of a hyperlink, you as the seller are on easy street. I will never understand a seller being upset at a buyer for asking questions or wanting pictures. I know there are plenty of tire kickers out there. But if you start off detailed, and are prepared with all the pictures someone can handle and an easy delivery system for them, you'll find out not only how fast your stuff sells, you'll also find out that the amount of questions are drastically reduced.

Last time I sold a race car, the only questions that were asked were about something I completely forgot to put in the add. I immediately fixed/edited the ad, and never had that question again. So think to yourself, go through all the texts, emails, PMs from buyers and tell me how many questions wouldn't have been asked (legit ones) if you had simply detailed your add in the 1st place. I think you'll find out the seller is even more at fault with tire kickers than the buyer is.

And I'm not trying to slam you or anything, I just know, from my own experience, if I do what I say above, the selling experience is a good one, with hardly any questions asked (what is there to ask when you stated EVERYTHING about the car?), and when they ask for pictures you give em a simple link to download more pictures than they can handle that are in HD and HUGE. As a seller, that is easy. Try it once, you might just be surprised at how your future for sale ads go.
Old 03-01-2014, 09:52 AM
bhp2dopp
SHOW GUEST

Originally Posted by bjuice
Yep..Agreed.

Now come buy my 4 sec 10.5 1967 Outlaw Nova. Don't waste your time with those (everbody has one ) mustangs.....Jk lol...on the mustang anyhow...
Hey I like good ol GM iron as much as the next guy. But I love mustangs more.
Old 03-01-2014, 03:46 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by bhp2dopp
Originally Posted by bjuice
Yep..Agreed.

Hey I like good ol GM iron as much as the next guy. But I love mustangs more.
Them mustangs run awesome."Built Ford tough with Chevy stuff"....lol

Old 03-01-2014, 04:41 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by bhp2dopp

Flame away! Lol...
But the real questions is: Why are they asking questions in the 1st place? Why do they need to see more pictures etc?

When I sell a race car, I have the add broken down into every minute detail there is. Every single component in the engine, the type of tranny (if it's a pro build from a company or the parts in it if it's something I assembled), all the suspension components and brands, the entirety of the rear end (what diff/spool/axles, gear ratio and brands of parts), and I basically do that from the engine, transmission, suspension, fuel system, interior, rear end, brakes, and all the accessories. This also includes sizes of the jets (if a NOS application), # of passes on the parts, etc.

So basically the only questions anyone ever ask me about the car I'm selling in the 1st place is do you have any more pictures, or "does the cigar lighter work"? All the 1000's of questions people ask are because SELLERS don't detail their add. Again, if I'm a buyer I want to know what I'm buying. A blanket statement like "it's built with the best of the best", doesn't cut it.

And I'm sorry that people want to see pictures, but this is the easiest process to prepare. When I'm selling something, I'll either put it on the hoist or on some jackstands, pull the wheels, and take PICTURES of everything. That includes every single cage weld, every detail of the interior, every detail of the exterior (from close up everywhere to far away shots) to every single detail of the suspension (front and rear) to every detail of the fuel system, under hood, trunk lid. You name it, I have pictures of it. And I do this with a camera (not a damn cell phone) and have 2600x1600 resolution (these pictures are huge and detailed)

But the beauty of the internet is there are a million different free file storage spots to upload your pictures to. So once you are all done taking the pictures (only need to do it once) you zip them all up into one single file and then upload them to one of these upload sites. That upload site gives you a hyperlink to use to download your .zip file.

So essentially, anytime anyone asks for more pictures all you have to do is send them one simple link that you either have copied to your cell (so you can text it to them) or you can simply send them the link in a PM or email (depending on who asked). So the entire process of "sending" pictures is as simple as copy and pasting one single link that will lead the buyer to all the pictures he can handle.

My point is, if you expect to sell something, you actually have to SELL something and give details. We all know what's in a 93 Z28 with a manual tranny from a dealership. But us buyers have every right to know all the parts they are trying to buy in a race car.

So what I've said above, from start to finish, (from a detailed ad to taking the pics, uploading them, and then getting a link) might take a couple hours to do (depending on your typing ability), but that 2 hours of work makes selling a breeze as the buyer can't really ask any questions if everything he asks about is already detailed in the add. And when sending pictures is a mouse click or a simple text of a hyperlink, you as the seller are on easy street. I will never understand a seller being upset at a buyer for asking questions or wanting pictures. I know there are plenty of tire kickers out there. But if you start off detailed, and are prepared with all the pictures someone can handle and an easy delivery system for them, you'll find out not only how fast your stuff sells, you'll also find out that the amount of questions are drastically reduced.

Last time I sold a race car, the only questions that were asked were about something I completely forgot to put in the add. I immediately fixed/edited the ad, and never had that question again. So think to yourself, go through all the texts, emails, PMs from buyers and tell me how many questions wouldn't have been asked (legit ones) if you had simply detailed your add in the 1st place. I think you'll find out the seller is even more at fault with tire kickers than the buyer is.

And I'm not trying to slam you or anything, I just know, from my own experience, if I do what I say above, the selling experience is a good one, with hardly any questions asked (what is there to ask when you stated EVERYTHING about the car?), and when they ask for pictures you give em a simple link to download more pictures than they can handle that are in HD and HUGE. As a seller, that is easy. Try it once, you might just be surprised at how your future for sale ads go.
I'll tell ya a good one "OBO" then when you make a resonable offer they get pissed. Or worse they do not put a price...and the never fail...asking price 10,000 trade value $15,000...wtf lol...ok your stuff is worth twice my stuff...ok if you will do some trading andcash difference then lets trade..no use in advertising the juice....lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -