going large

Old 08-19-2007, 02:38 PM
FAT622
JOURNEYMAN

Has any body delt with Awsome Engines? I am from Australia and am looking at buying a 622ci rotating assemblie through them. just wondering what there service and products are like.

cheers.
Old 08-19-2007, 03:50 PM
woodsman
DYNO OPERATOR

FAT622 try this web site and you can ask him to send you parts so you will get them ronowensracing.com check with him first may save you some heart aches
Old 08-19-2007, 04:49 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

whewwww...LMAO....Sorry this is an inside thing..those that were here 3 or so years ago is laughing with me right now........

YeS i have heard of AWESOME ENGINES...

...any old timers wanna go there ?

Brian

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 08-19-2007, 09:39 PM
gdmii
MASTER BUILDER

Not even for "old times sake"!!

George
Old 08-19-2007, 10:30 PM
topsportsman1
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by gdmii
Not even for "old times sake"!!

George
I'd have to agree here,its best left alone
:roll:
Tom
Old 08-19-2007, 11:35 PM
edvancedengines
DYNO OPERATOR

Location: VA Hospital, Dallas, Tx (214 302 1924) cell-972-464-7400

Of the ones that have been mentioned, there are only two of those that I will strongly discourage against using. One is high dollar and the other is a cheapie. There is also another cheapie that has not yet been suggested.

I will send this info you you by a Pm instead of posting it because last time I posted about one of these the reaction from a few was that I was trash talking another builder to try to steal the business. Those who know me, know better. I never trash anyone. I am not a trash talker. Facts are facts though and what one of the named High Dollar Professional Builders did to two different engines and against what was best for the customers made me mad at the time and I still feel my blood boiliong when they get mentioned in referrals.

I will let anyone know who sends me PM though.

Right here in this Forum are some very accomplished Engine Builders, that do not sell crate engines but do build and sell custom engines of all descriptions, of which I feel I am one. I do feel I am with some very high caliber company here with these guys.

Ed
Old 08-20-2007, 12:01 PM
FAT622
JOURNEYMAN

Default 622ci rotator

this is what i am after,
4.56 x 4.75 rotator
11:1 comp
cam shaft to suit (solid roller)
email me if you are interested and i will give you all the details
[email protected]

cheers
Old 08-22-2007, 09:52 PM
denn468
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

i can tell you from experiance that ssre scott shafiroff are good people they are very friendly and if there is a question or a problem they will work it out i was in the same boat as you are i run a 468 and wanted to go bigger i build all my motors myself but i met a guy on this site from indiana we were talking he and all his buddies run 598s from ssre he assured me they are top notch people so i took his advice and bought a 540 bbc with dart big m block jessels the whole kit and kaboodle and let me tell ya what i could not build that motor myself for what i paid for it and let me tell you one thing a motor is only as good as the money you put in it you can buy a motor with srp pistons and ohio crankshaft rotaters for dirt cheap but dont expect to live very long an old saying is you only get out what you put in dont be cheap do it right by the way the ssre 540 put my 3640 lb car on the bumper and still ran 970 good luck
Old 08-23-2007, 08:18 AM
doubler
APPRENTICE

I am really getting confused on head choices for this big of a motor. Seems like most people recommend going to a big chief style head at that cubic inch. Then there is the reliability issue of the valve train question. What do you think of this post I found?

I would strongly recommend that if you are going to the trouble building a 632 to run decent heads (ie BIG CHIEF or RFE or something serious). There are diminishing returns after 540 to go with a conventional head. The difference in power can be 100 or more. I ran the BB4's on the dyno before I went big duke and it WAS 100 more horsepower and didn't give up any power down low.

About the funky valve angles - buy the offset lifters - the pushrods are moved slightly off center to improve the geometry. I had zero problems with that on the street. The weak link will always be the roller lifters anyways, the valvetrain is a TANK if you go big chief/jesel.

Here is the link http://www.chevelles.com/forums/printthread.php?t=93327

I hope I am not opening up a can of worms here, I am just trying to learn.
I want to make the right choice and am looking for more opinions. I think the very least I should do is the 18* Oval Dart 383 head...

Thanks all...
Old 08-23-2007, 08:42 AM
edvancedengines
DYNO OPERATOR

Location: VA Hospital, Dallas, Tx (214 302 1924) cell-972-464-7400

There is no best head.

There are cylinder heads that will work better in certain applications than others will.

I suggest to stay away from the bigger is better ideas of what head flows the most and is bigger.

There are 24 degree conventional heads for the Bb Chevy that are awsium and willl produce tons of power at racing levels of 2,000 hp. That is with a lot of extra porting though. At those power levels no matter what you start with they requre lots of work.

Most of the cylinder head mfg offer different sizes in their popular heads for a reason and that reason is to try to fit known different applications.

There are no valvetrain reliability issues with eiter the many spread port designs or the aftermarket conventional designs if the higher quality components are used. You will not be able to use just regular quality studs and rockers with any head except for those made for lower powered applications, to my knowledge.

There is power to be had with more stable valvetrains but they do cost quite a lot more money.

Reliability is not an issue. Cost of the components are the issue.

I do not insist on T&D (my preference) or Jesel on everything I build. I usually do strongly suggest them in major power racing applications, or in certain engines. I just recently completed a 602 cu n Ford that we were stuck with using stud mount rockers becuase of the budget and it is a 1,500 hp nitrous enging. Hp is estimted based on the nitrous it is designed to handle vs dyno N/A power. I would much have preferred to use T&D shaft rockers and I know we would have gotten more power.

As someone mentioned, Lifters are an issue of reliability when the power levels go up. When we use professional springs the common garden Crane, Comp etc roller lifters are out of the picture. We need better. Better is more money. In most applications the very high dollar Jesel and LSM is not needed, in my opinion, but the Speciality lifters are.

Sorry I still am not recommending any certain cylinder head. By what I think you are talking about many of the conventionals should work ok. Don't go for the big runner ports with high flow numbers though.

The problem with asking and receiving internet tech advice is you receive at times very good advice and at other times bogus advice that sounds good to the advisor but is not real world. Bigger in cubic inches is better, usually. Bigger in heads cams etc are not always better.

Ed

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -