Help on loading a low car on a open trailer

Old 08-17-2014, 11:41 AM
jcdrags
SHOW GUEST

Default Help on loading a low car on a open trailer

Have an open trailer and a low to ground clearance car, any suggestions or pictures on how to load without bottoming out. Have a tilt-a hitch receiver but that only gives a few inches to tilt back...
Old 08-17-2014, 04:46 PM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

Next would be using the trailer jack to raise up the front of the trailer and rear of your tow rig(leave hooked up). MAKE SURE you have the front tires of the tow rig are securely blocked. AND do NOT raise the tow rig so high you completely unload the rear suspension.
After that a set of ramps to run the rear of your tow rig up onto. I've used both these methods numerous times over the years and still do when I haul my YELLA BRICK.

Last edited by TheYellaBrick; 08-17-2014 at 04:48 PM.
Old 08-18-2014, 04:11 AM
curtisreed
RACING JUNKIE

I used to pull my roadster on an open trailer. I would have to put the back end of the trailer ramps on top of a set of the type of ramps that you use to work on your car. That let the car level out before the trans got to the end of the trailer. A friend of mine said it always looked like I was building a bridge when I loaded my car, but it got me to and from the track.

Another option is to split tail the trailer. Does your trailer have a dovetail on it?

Curtis
Old 08-18-2014, 04:21 AM
itsabird
RACING JUNKIE

I had the same problem with my open trailer, i made longer ramps, and that took care of it.
Old 09-09-2014, 07:43 PM
hiboyjim
SHOW GUEST

GO GET A SET OF 2x10s 10 ft long for ramps pin em on one end after loading slide under car strap down.