wheelie bars

Old 02-29-2008, 12:22 PM
denn468
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

Default wheelie bars

i have a 69 camaro that weighs 3640 lbs it has a 540 in it the car brings all four wheels off the ground and shes starting to break things when she comes down im putting some bars on it but dont know if i should go tube type or flat bar since its so heavy need some in put thanks
Old 02-29-2008, 02:13 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

chrome moly tube..and if its hitting that hard i would not go anything less than 80 inches (minimum)

also is this a 4 link car ?...if so sounds like your instant center is too far forward if its coming up like you say...
i am not a pro-chassis set up guy but know enough to recognize this problem.

Brian

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 02-29-2008, 02:35 PM
denn468
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

its a ladder bar car i want the car to come up a couple of feet but thats itlast time out i cost 1200 for two rims and tires and 350 for a oil pan i like doing the wheelies but not when they are that costly and it could have been worse i was told the round tube bars will unload the chassis in heavy cars they said the flat bar flexs more but i thought the flat would be to weak
Old 02-29-2008, 05:31 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

NOT TRUE !...what unloads the rear wheels on a launch as a result of wheelie bars is they were notset up properly ( wheels set to low) it will cause the tires to un-plant ...
with a car leaving as hard as yours and the car being so heavy i would strongly recommend a round tube braced chrome moly set of bars no shorter then 80 inches long...

once you have them mounted you will need to have someone sit in the car about the same weight as you then adjust them....a good point to start is wheels about 4 inches off the ground with bars in the down positon..most guys stagger the wheelie bar height because the way the car naturally rolls ( torques)...

i would not personally use the flat bar or spring loaded wheelie bars on hard lauching high hp cars...i think these type bars or more for the prostreet milder leaving cars...just take a look at any car that leaves hard or runs in a FAST class..you rarely see the flat bar spring loaded wheelie bar on something that will really RUN..

there will be some guys that will come along that will add to this post ..hold tight...

calling ED (MCRACE CARS) PLEASE.

Brian

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 03-01-2008, 04:07 AM
BillyShope
CRAFTSMAN

Originally Posted by denn468
i want the car to come up a couple of feet....
Why? Once the fronts are unloaded, all the weight is at the rear and that's as good as it gets!

And, if the wheelie bars are carrying any part of the load, that means you're losing rear wheel loading and hurting your performance.

Assuming you're interested in bettering your 60 foot times...instead of winning wheelie contests..., you should be figuring out what you can do to shift weight forward and eliminate the need for wheelie bars.
Old 03-01-2008, 05:02 AM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

its a ladder bar car i want the car to come up a couple of feet but thats itlast time out i cost 1200 for two rims and tires and 350 for a oil pan i like doing the wheelies but not when they are that costly and it could have been worse i was told the round tube bars will unload the chassis in heavy cars they said the flat bar flexs more but i thought the flat would be to weak
Have you tried limiting the front end travel?
Old 03-01-2008, 05:14 AM
topsportsman1
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by BillyShope
i want the car to come up a couple of feet....
Why? Once the fronts are unloaded, all the weight is at the rear and that's as good as it gets!

And, if the wheelie bars are carrying any part of the load, that means you're losing rear wheel loading and hurting your performance.

Assuming you're interested in bettering your 60 foot times...instead of winning wheelie contests..., you should be figuring out what you can do to shift weight forward and eliminate the need for wheelie bars.
I'd have to agree here with Billy.

Doing wheelies like this is a lack of horse power and wheel speed.
If it were me I'd be looking at the rear end gear ratio.Thats how your going to calm that car down and get better 60' as well as ET's

Also you may need to make a ladder bar change to move some of the weight forward.Do you know what weight percentages your car is now?

Also limiting the front suspenion will help also.

What rear gear do you have in the car now?Also what transmission do you have? Whats the 1st gear ratio?
Old 03-01-2008, 12:43 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

topsportsman will you elaborate on that comment about lack of horsepower please? I think I understand what your getting at but not sure. I assume it is lack of power to spin the wheels so the pinion climbing the ring gear?

Are you suggesting a lower (higher number) or higher gear?