Battery Disconnect

Old 09-01-2012, 04:31 AM
jreiley
MASTER BUILDER

Default Battery Disconnect

Like all race cars, I have the battery wired through a external (on the fender) disconnect switch. I would like to be able to shut down the batteries from my seat as well. Lokar makes a disconnect that attaches to the shofter but it looks like it uses another big switch, I would like to run the hot side to a switch so that both switches have to be on. Anybody got any ideas?
Old 09-01-2012, 07:48 AM
EXPERT BUILDER

If something happens, there needs to be one switch outside to turn everything off! You could run a rod to the existing switch that would turn the switch off and on from two places, inside and out.
Old 09-02-2012, 07:36 PM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

AGREED, or a push/pull cable( available online )

https://www.google.com/search?q=%22p...ient=firefox-a

---------------------------------
Old 09-02-2012, 09:16 PM
EXPERT BUILDER

Affirmative, on the cable! :wink:
Old 09-03-2012, 02:52 PM
TheRabbit
RACING JUNKIE

I have a Moroso master cut off switch on the back and I have one of these to turn on / off power inside.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/STI...120903225046:s
Old 09-03-2012, 09:28 PM
EXPERT BUILDER

Yep, as long as outside turns off everything surely would work.
I was thinking about a dragster I had once, and it was setup to use the same switch with a rod running to it from outside behind the rear and another to the driver compartment. Don't have one in my present car, but may look into it with a switch like that! Thanks
Old 09-04-2012, 05:49 AM
jreiley
MASTER BUILDER

Are you using this switch to disconnect power to the ignition, such as a Painless type switch, or the leads from the battery itself?
Old 09-04-2012, 09:30 AM
TheRabbit
RACING JUNKIE

I dont use a manufactured switch panel. I made mine and use relays to power water pump, fan, fuel pump,etc. This switch kills all power at my terminal strip. It kills power to everything when i hit it. I also have a seperate ignition switch so i can turn the motor over then flip ignition on after motor is turning over. The kill switch is mounted just in front of my shifter.

You could use it in line to cut power off / on to a switch panel very easy. I dont like having to fumble around in an emergeny situation trying to find a small kill switch thats mounted in a switch panel.
Old 09-05-2012, 05:52 AM
jreiley
MASTER BUILDER

I use a panel from Digital Delay. Very nice. Like the one you built, it has relays and is fused. I think I am going to go with your idea and mount the kill button as conspicuos as possible. Excuse the spelling.