DON'T BUY FRAM OIL FILTERS !!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-15-2008, 05:46 PM
gearhead1011
EXPERT BUILDER

Default Re: fram

Originally Posted by mikeaton
as far as i know most all walmarts use fram filters in the oil bays. i havent heard about any failures related to the filters as i write this but all i can speak for is my store here in new mexico. just my 2 cents worth
Yeah, but how many engine failures have occurred that the owners didn't relate to the oil change they had done a few weeks ago? Keep in mind that the filter doesn't stop the flow of oil but restricts it to the point of opening the bypass and and circulating a reduced amount of unfiltered oil. I have had vehicles come into my shop with lifters clicking and lower than normal oil pressure that was still in the safe operating range right after an oil change had been done. Replacing the fram filter with a different brand has always fixed the problem.
Old 11-15-2008, 06:39 PM
superbadass532
JOURNEYMAN

Hey Guys........ I just want to update you on whats going on . Frams/Honeywells attorneys have contacted me this week asking for a continuance. I don't know if they are just messing with me or it's legit? Anyway I have another court date sometime in December! Cross your fingers for me! Now I just want to get something straight after seeing all of the responce to this thread I am sure anyone can see that many others beside myself have had similar problems with Fram filters. I would say just one is bad enough if it was your 15 or $20,000 engine. The biggest thing with me is that they advertise all over the drag racing community on dragsters, billboards you get the picture but they won't stand behind there product! I think they think most people will go away or aren't willing to fight a huge corporation like Honeywell/Fram and like with my thing I sent the filter in hopes that they would see that there filter completely fell apart but instead of saying it was there fault they sent me a letter with all kinds of technical crap the average guy doesn't understand. So what happens the average guy says well maybe it wasn't the filter!?I have been talking to many well know engine builders since this happened to my engine and they completely agree with me that there was NO reason for my engine to cause the filter failure!

Thx
Stan
Old 11-16-2008, 05:07 AM
TheRabbit
RACING JUNKIE

Stan
You are exactly right. They will send technical info, but you need the same in your defense. Make sure you have info and a very reputable engine builder with you. Please don’t go to court without being very well prepared!! I said the same thing, no way am I going to waste my time and money to lose to a big corporation. Mine failed almost 10 years ago and I’d never heard of anyone else having filter failure before.
I don't care what a judge says, fram has a problem and I want use them again.
Old 11-16-2008, 05:32 AM
excelerater
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

years ago a friends mustang engine siezed up because of a fram filter
and they ended up paying for a brand new engine -

Fram,costs more and made in canada-
STP costs less and made in the USA
Fram I would guess is being greedy and offers a
less than spectacular filter

I prefer WIX or STP personally

good luck
Old 11-18-2008, 01:07 PM
heckwx
SHOW GUEST

Default FRAM

CUT A FRAM APART AND CUT A WIX APART. YOU CAN SEE THE QUALITY DIFFERENCE.
Old 11-18-2008, 11:05 PM
poncholvr
MASTER BUILDER

i thought wix was the same as fram
could it be because the oil pressure is not factory? and is too great for these junk stock style filters??

"DEAR K&N PLEASE MAKE US SOME AWESOME OIL FILTERS FOR AUTOS"

if they dont already- i havent seen any yet,but im sure they would be the best! k&n are a fantastic filter,and flow great,
(oil and air)
Old 11-19-2008, 01:23 AM
fla1976
RACING JUNKIE

Default filters

K&N do make oil filters, I think you can find them on Jeg's or Summitt.
Old 11-19-2008, 05:47 AM
TheRabbit
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by poncholvr
could it be because the oil pressure is not factory? and is too great for these junk stock style filters??
My fram failure was on a completely stock Silverado with less than 100,000 miles.
I've always used Wix and nothing else on my racing motors. Too scared and really no reason to change. ( that i know of).
PLEASE DON"T TELL ME MY WIX IS A FRAM(it)!
Old 11-19-2008, 09:14 AM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Wix is independent, makes NAPA filters and #'s cross reference, nothing to do with FRAM.

Zip.
Old 11-19-2008, 12:13 PM
billhendren
MASTER BUILDER

Originally Posted by TheRabbit
Originally Posted by poncholvr
My fram failure was on a completely stock Silverado with less than 100,000 miles.
I've always used Wix and nothing else on my racing motors. Too scared and really no reason to change. ( that i know of).
PLEASE DON"T TELL ME MY WIX IS A FRAM(it)!
Get a Fram and Wix and cut them apart,you will then see that they are entirely different. the core that collapsed in the Fram is cardboard of some sort the Wix is steel, compare the filtering media, both volume and type.
At this point most people would never use a Fram again. Bill

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -