Memphis Motorsports park is History

Old 10-30-2009, 06:25 PM
christiansells
JOURNEYMAN

Default what a ride

glad the driver was ok.i saw pics of the car.it was pretty much dusted.
Old 10-30-2009, 06:54 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Zip this must have been One of the other 10.5 wrecks that weekend at Holley springs...looks like he was in shutdown..at these MPH the shutdown is just as critical at anything else....just Ask Tom (Topsportsman1) :roll:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piBay...eature=related

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 10-30-2009, 07:42 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by bjuice
Zip this must have been One of the other 10.5 wrecks that weekend at Holley springs...looks like he was in shutdown..at these MPH the shutdown is just as critical at anything else....just Ask Tom (Topsportsman1) :roll:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piBay...eature=related
Tommy's wreck was last sunday, Jimmy said he barrel rolled it after it came ungluded, the 4.36 vid run was on sat.
Maybe Jimmy S. will come on a clear it up since he was there. there is about 800 to 1,000 ft shutdown at the track, but at 180 MPH that's much, kinda like your local track in NC. Up until a couple yrs. ago there was trees at the end of the shut down area. there have been some 3.90's run at the track with ProMods.

Zip.
Old 10-30-2009, 07:46 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by montecarlo84
Is that track real narrow(holley springs) or is it just the view from in side the car? :shock:
Naw it's a good 14/16 ft wide per lane.

Zip.
Old 10-30-2009, 10:12 PM
cepx111
RACING JUNKIE

Is that track real narrow(holley springs) or is it just the view from in side the car? :shock:
It used to be real narrow, that is a old pic, it was like racing down a sidewalk.

Now it's as wide as any NHRA track, just like MMP is - or was.....

Dam shame they shut Memphis Motrosports park down.

No more NHRA events or Midsouth nationals.
No more NMCA world street car finals.
No more ADRL events.
No more arm drops or PINKS all outs.
No more test and tunes.
No more saturday night bracket racing.
No more alot other things that pumped thousands of dollars in our struggling community.

I used to race at MMP regularly till the raised entry fees sky high and reduced their weekly bracket events to about once a month, if that.

That said I don't race at H/S either, I choose to support a small mom and pop run facility, Byhalia raceway.

I personally dont have anything agaisnt George Howard or the way he sucked MMP and Byhalia racers away.

What Bebop, Jabo and now George Howard have done with Holly Springs is a prime example of how a facility can and should be run.

Listening to the racers concerns and treating them with respect is the 'key' elements there.

Only changes I disliked at H/S was the elimination of the footbrake class ( no box is NOT footbraking) and the ever growing Pro class.
I find no entertainment in watching 70 plus dragsters run down the track.
The downtime between rounds is unbearable.

It's a sad day for race fans and racers alike in Memphis area.

Cp
Old 10-30-2009, 10:15 PM
suicidebomb
RACING JUNKIE

Real shame about MMP :cry:
Old 11-01-2009, 03:24 AM
excelerater
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

MMP hopefully someone will take it over,but they did not run much
of a program there and Memphis is as we speak getting pummeled
by the current economic conditions...Many racers are sitting out races
because of it...

As for HollySprings,nice place and they have there moments but the track
surface is very hit or miss,esp this year...One day its killer and the next its like ice....MMP had a way more consistent track surface IMO over HS...

Glidewell just took over Jackson Dragway,look for that place to also
make a comeback with the new owner with cashflow.....
Old 11-02-2009, 05:01 PM
JimmySmith
MASTER BUILDER

The #1 Q in 10.5 wentlike 4.28 at about 180 , what a lot of guys don't know is the Springs is uphill in shutdown and the track is a fuzz uphill my car would go 6.57 at the Springs and go to MMP and go 6.48 but I like both tracks nice places to race and the track Charlie runs on is operated VERY GOOd so we had a lot of choice. The Wrecks I did not see ,the cars I did ,the Camaro is toaster and the Nova needs front end work but he drove it in the trailer. Hate to see MMP close but Have wondered about this for a couple of years Big Business attitude We open , ya'll will come. Later J.Smith 4621 racing PS for several years I gave the JR.Dragster program at MMP $500 to do as they please and last year I did not get in the bracket Pts. cause I got in the 6.50 class which lasted about 4 races and cancelled so I DID NOT get invited to the banquet which I alway enjoyed . I'am gone this time
Old 11-03-2009, 04:32 AM
JimmySmith
MASTER BUILDER

The first wreck in bJuicessite is Tommy and the second one is the guy that won the deal I think Rainwater , the second wreck was a Yenko Nova from Mo I think ,he mashed the front end but drove in the trailer, Tommy had a hard time getting from rollbac into trailer big mess . These cars would have to be a handful from the git go and at the MPH they produce its over before you can think, blink or turn off the switch. This race paid $20,000 to win so everybody was getting after it . Later J.Smith 4621 racing
Old 11-03-2009, 03:18 PM
BEAST477
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by cepx111
It used to be real narrow, that is a old pic, it was like racing down a sidewalk.

Now it's as wide as any NHRA track, just like MMP is - or was.....

Dam shame they shut Memphis Motrosports park down.

No more NHRA events or Midsouth nationals.
No more NMCA world street car finals.
No more ADRL events.
No more arm drops or PINKS all outs.
No more test and tunes.
No more saturday night bracket racing.
No more alot other things that pumped thousands of dollars in our struggling community.

I used to race at MMP regularly till the raised entry fees sky high and reduced their weekly bracket events to about once a month, if that.

That said I don't race at H/S either, I choose to support a small mom and pop run facility, Byhalia raceway.

I personally dont have anything agaisnt George Howard or the way he sucked MMP and Byhalia racers away.

What Bebop, Jabo and now George Howard have done with Holly Springs is a prime example of how a facility can and should be run.

Listening to the racers concerns and treating them with respect is the 'key' elements there.

Only changes I disliked at H/S was the elimination of the footbrake class ( no box is NOT footbraking) and the ever growing Pro class.
I find no entertainment in watching 70 plus dragsters run down the track.
The downtime between rounds is unbearable.

It's a sad day for race fans and racers alike in Memphis area.

Cp
Cp just curious what did they raise entry fees to and how much do they pay back? 1st $$$ 2nd $$$ semis $$$ quarters $$$.

Just trying to compare. Our track is $50.00 to enter $20.00 buy back first round only. Win $1250.00 RU $600.00 and we pay back to eights.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -