Water pump leak

Old 11-07-2010, 04:17 PM
EXPERT BUILDER

Wow!
I've gotten hard to find parts quicker than that.

Anyway have fun, water pumps are not bad to replace.
Old 11-07-2010, 04:23 PM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

My service van is a '94 Astro w/4.3 .
I r&r'd the water pump this past spring using a brand NEW one from Auto Zone. It was CHEAP (around 30 bones, don't remember the exact cost) compared to a reman having to be replaced AGAIN sometime in the near future. Critical parts like a water pump is where I do not want to short cut myself.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:07 AM
johnracer
DYNO OPERATOR

Yep, those are pretty easy. Hardest part is scraping the gaskets off the block with the accessory brackets in the way. Take your time and get the block clean where the pump bolts up. Put a little sealer on the first few threads of the pump bolts too. They go into the water jacket and can leak.

For the price difference, I'd still go with the new pump....

Johnny
Old 11-08-2010, 12:20 PM
laxking012
JUNIOR BUILDER

Well I decided to go with the $20 reman one, i figured with money being so tight that other $20 is probably better spent on gas. Thanks all for the help
Old 11-11-2010, 10:46 AM
laxking012
JUNIOR BUILDER

Haha i like this.... I got the reman. pump from summit last night (wed.) and put it on today. Right after tightening the last pump bolt i spun it to make sure it spun right and noticed a wobble. So i called Summit's tech support and told them about it to get another one or something. I told the tech guy what was wrong and he put me on hold. After about 15 min. of holding he was back and said they were sending me another pump completely free to me not a single penny, and it will be here tomo(friday), and just to throw this pump away.
Old 11-11-2010, 02:32 PM
MEMRACING62
RACING JUNKIE

Dont fall to in love with those new pumps that are being sold . most are made in china and I have already replaces a few of them that were less than two years old due to seal failure.