head bolts vs cylinder studs

Old 09-15-2008, 06:39 PM
et7333
EXPERT BUILDER

I'm using scorpion rockers,1.550 springs, and already have Arp bolts.I guess I was hoping I would be able to use the bolts and save $200.
Old 09-15-2008, 09:47 PM
dparker
RACING JUNKIE

The bolts you have will work fine. I just figured if you were going to have to buy new you, might as well get studs. If you already have ARP bolts use them they'll work great.
good luck,
Old 09-15-2008, 11:59 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by et7333
I'm using scorpion rockers,1.550 springs, and already have Arp bolts.I guess I was hoping I would be able to use the bolts and save $200.
I agree with dparker, if you already the bolts and you're not useing trick rockers, use what you have and save the money to buy gas to get too the strip. :lol:

Zip.
Old 09-16-2008, 06:24 AM
et7333
EXPERT BUILDER

Thanks for the info everyone.This site is great!

Steve
Old 09-18-2008, 06:04 AM
sirduke
SHOW GUEST

Hi et7333 .....I see your here too..
Old 10-27-2008, 10:00 PM
poncholvr
MASTER BUILDER

Default Re: head bolts vs cylinder studs

Which one would you use in a n/a sbc ,23 degree iron heads,14-1 compression?
i think ppl use studs so the nuts will stripp out- if there were any problems (back fire's, blowing a head damn near off ect...)
that way the nut will give instead of stripping out the block threads,same on mains
Old 11-25-2008, 10:50 AM
mopar1962
JUNIOR BUILDER

lets not forget main studs also. ops:
Old 11-25-2008, 11:03 PM
poncholvr
MASTER BUILDER

Originally Posted by mopar1962
lets not forget main studs also. ops:
yes i was meaning it for all applications,thanks for adding

if the motor is balanced it should be fine,i mean think about it, the crank spins on oil,and the oil isnt enough to make it like a hydrolic force ,that keeps it centered ,so the crank doesnt eat the main bearings up,so the balancing is critical,or those lil crappy bearings are gone

i wanted to have a set of special precision bearings made for rods,and mains,like motorcycles,
but make them 2 piece ,with a oil channel in the middle so the oil will flow to all gallies,man you could spin it to 50000 prolly with out a worry 8)
Old 11-26-2008, 06:53 AM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: head bolts vs cylinder studs

Originally Posted by poncholvr
Which one would you use in a n/a sbc ,23 degree iron heads,14-1 compression?
i think ppl use studs so the nuts will stripp out- if there were any problems (back fire's, blowing a head damn near off ect...)
that way the nut will give instead of stripping out the block threads,same on mains

If you blow a head clean off the block( or damn near) or the crankshaft out the bottom.... you got way worse problems than some stripped bolts... :P jk

You get a better clamping load with studs, among other advantages

This is a copy paste from the link posted

For performance applications where a choice is available, studs should be used whenever possible instead of main cap bolts. Studs provide the ability to obtain much more accurate torque values because they don't twist during tightening as bolts do. Because studs remain stationary during nut tightening, they stretch in one axis alone, providing much more even and accurate clamping forces. Also, because the use of studs results in less force applied to the blocks threads, this extends the life of the threaded holes in the block. This is especially important with alloy blocks. The use of studs also eases main cap installation, and contributes to main cap alignment. There is less chance of main cap walking because the studs remain stationary during cap clamping.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...5/ai_n25502406

Old 11-26-2008, 04:31 PM
mopar1962
JUNIOR BUILDER

The lowdown is studs are fine thread going through the head or the main caps and standard thread into the block. this creates a greatly improved clamping ability.happy holidays all.