What's faster stick or automatic cars

Old 01-20-2008, 10:50 AM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by olds48
There's probably something to that.But MAN,when you're used to running a forward pattern Z-gate and swap over to a Rev pattern Q-stick.IT SUCKS TO GET USED TO
two words.

electric shifter
Old 01-20-2008, 10:53 AM
lively
RACING JUNKIE

[two words. ]

[electric shifter]

BUT MY CAR RUNS ON GASOLINE NOT ELECTRICITY!!!! :x :P :roll: :x :twisted: :x
Old 01-20-2008, 10:59 AM
mytmouz
RACING JUNKIE

Top Fuel cars use clutches...
Old 01-20-2008, 11:43 AM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by wfge
what is the point\purpose of a reverse pattern automatic?
The reverse pattern is no more than a safty feature to preventing you from going to nutural by accident, due to the fact that you have to pull the lever/extra handle on some turbo 400 shifters to change the gear, also to go to nutural.

On Vince's point (quicker) there's not much difference in weight with a PG and a 5 speed with all the extra heavy bell housing and heavy fly wheels with small inch motors etc..
The PG will 60' better in most cases due to the torque producing converter and is a lot more consistent. I personally run an electric shifter valve body tied to the MSD 2 step and never miss a shift and yes i have to push the trans brake button to back up, but that not a big deal.
Other point on a 5 speed you're smacking the driveline 5 times each pass, while with a PG with transbrake you're only smacking it 1 time leaving the line.

JMO

Zip.
Old 01-20-2008, 11:50 AM
olds48
RACING JUNKIE

Tod74.I want one soooo bad.Just don't want to get ribbed by buddies who make fun of "remote control" cars.One of these days though.........
Old 01-20-2008, 03:02 PM
qtrmile2
DYNO OPERATOR

Good information here guys. I know your combo does mean alot when you running stick or auto. I will tell you one thing though the year before last when I was waiting to buy a Jerico I ran a reverse valve body T400 with a trans brake in my 67 Camaro with a 5500 rpm stall and 456 gears. I left around 4600 rpm on the brake. Best ET was 11.07 123mph
60ft 1.51 best.

Last year I put the Jerico 4speed in with a 19lb. aluminum flywheel and 488 gears. Best ET 10.40 128mph 60 ft best 1.38. I had the exact same motor and tuned it the same way. With my set up on the motor it liked the Jerico better than the T400. This is the only comparison I have cause I always run sticks. Don't get me wrong now the automatics leave awesome with a brake.

Now pro stock and alot of other guys run clutchless trans which I thing is even quicker and you could pick up a couple hundreds on ET.
I always heard the converters slow you down alittle.
Old 01-20-2008, 06:54 PM
v8Fiero
MASTER BUILDER

Originally Posted by olds48
Tod74.I want one soooo bad.Just don't want to get ribbed by buddies who make fun of "remote control" cars.One of these days though.........
"remote control" cars run a whole lot fatster then no-box cars in bracket racing.

PS. If I do end up getting into the 10s next sunmmer, I will have the worlds fastest transverse (sideways) mounted fiero, 30lb steel flywheel, with your help.
Old 01-20-2008, 09:57 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by qtrmile2
Good information here guys. I know your combo does mean alot when you running stick or auto. I will tell you one thing though the year before last when I was waiting to buy a Jerico I ran a reverse valve body T400 with a trans brake in my 67 Camaro with a 5500 rpm stall and 456 gears. I left around 4600 rpm on the brake. Best ET was 11.07 123mph
60ft 1.51 best.

Last year I put the Jerico 4speed in with a 19lb. aluminum flywheel and 488 gears. Best ET 10.40 128mph 60 ft best 1.38. I had the exact same motor and tuned it the same way. With my set up on the motor it liked the Jerico better than the T400. This is the only comparison I have cause I always run sticks. Don't get me wrong now the automatics leave awesome with a brake.

Now pro stock and alot of other guys run clutchless trans which I thing is even quicker and you could pick up a couple hundreds on ET.
I always heard the converters slow you down alittle.
Hey Vince i don't know what size motor you have but it sounds like you have a real tall cam and the motor like to be kept in a narrow power band which the 4 speed can do better than any automatic. You probably lost atleast 150lbs from the 400.
With my 3250lb Malibu (with driver)i have a lot of things wrong, too large cam, not quiet enough gear for the motor size. But with a PG it 60' from 1.41/1.45 with 5500 converter leaving at 4800, without bars it will stand on the bumper and runs 6.52/10.59 at Memphis but will only run 124mph with a 377" motor. It would run better with a 383" and shorter cam.
This yr. i hope to remedy that with the 434" motor with stacks injection, hopefully low 6's and some 9's.

JMO

Zip.
Old 01-21-2008, 03:01 PM
olds48
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by v8Fiero

"remote control" cars run a whole lot fatster then no-box cars in bracket racing.

PS. If I do end up getting into the 10s next sunmmer, I will have the worlds fastest transverse (sideways) mounted fiero, 30lb steel flywheel, with your help.
Your right!! I think they're just jealous cause their Fords(oops didn't mean to cuss ops: )are slow

I hope you hit a LOW 10!Can I get your autograph now before you get famous?
Old 01-21-2008, 04:24 PM
v8Fiero
MASTER BUILDER

lol, right now theres 3 other people that I know of that are building their fieros to try for the 10s this summer. I am the only manual trans and there is one other sbc otherwise they are trying with 3.8sc motors. there are some real nice fieros that are being built this summer. the rear suspension is the only thing that none of us really know what to do with for drag racing, you can only modify a CV axle/strut suspension so much.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -