4cyl dirt trany !manual vs auto whats your take?Please reply

Old 11-24-2007, 06:30 AM
bildy
APPRENTICE

Default 4cyl dirt trany !manual vs auto whats your take?Please reply

will an auotmatic tranny lose momentum on a dirt track constantly changing in and out of third and forth gear or will the car be running so hard it will never hit forth gear. I ask this because a friend of mine races manual and has informed me that in my search for a first car to race manual is the way to go but i am having a hard time finding a car to race that is not automatic. not sure which way to go .
Old 11-24-2007, 08:41 AM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

u very seldom see an automativer on the oval dirt or asphalt being competitive..the straight drives can have the gear wored so that it can be benefical going in the turns and coming off the turns..all the mnaul 3 or 4 speed trannys will be 1 to 1 ratio in high gear..depending on the size track you running..you may never get out of third and possibly gear down to 2nd...thats it....

go with a straight drive..it will not take as much HP to run the straight drive as well...

they do make a circle track tranny and converter..but the one shown below is for a V-8..i get the idea you may be trying to run a bomber if so go with your bomber 4 speed..if not then check out the auto tranny below..i still do not see may competitive round track winners using them however...

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...44272_-1_10723

good luck

Brian

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 11-24-2007, 10:48 AM
bildy
APPRENTICE

thanks but everything has to be stock in this type of class . its just strip it and run it . looking at a 2.4 gt sunfire know anything faster from the factory in a 4 banger
Old 11-24-2007, 10:55 AM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

i think bubster has dealt with some of the round track stuff lately..he's the only one i know of right now that could point you in the right direction..maybe someone else would come along to help you ....sorry but its not what i dabble with on a norm...i am a flat liner.... 8)

good luck- Brian

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "