ARTCICLE ON HOW PISTON RINGS AFFECT HORSE POWER

Old 03-07-2011, 04:48 AM
hink
EXPERT BUILDER

Originally Posted by zipper06
Originally Posted by hink
Originally Posted by zipper06
I agree with the article 100%, but there are a lot of variables, such as running alcohol, VS gas, and 10.0 to 1 compression VS 14.0 to 1 compression. Grant was the first people to build a gapless ring, called a Z-gap i was running them in the 60's, but they were cast iron. The big problem today is that the piston manufacturers are mostly on production CNC machines and the groove clearances can vary from .001 to .003 . I lived in PHX. for yrs. and worked 1 blk from Total Seal when they first started out. I used to pick up my rings at their shop. I still run them but they are not good for nitrous or a blown motor. Same with a low drag narrow oil ring, they work best with a vacuum pump. I agree with Racear, piston rings are a black art and each engine has it's own preferance.

With that said before i get myself in over my head, Thanks Hink for the article, i saved it because it has a lot of good advice and for sure makes sense. I wonder how many people actually hone the blocks with the gasket under the honing plate?

JMO

Zip.
The big problem today is that the piston manufacturers are mostly on production CNC machines and the groove clearances can vary from .001 to .003
We have been using alot of the Mahle pistons power pack and por series they seem to have the tightest ring grooves in the industry.

I wonder how many people are even using a good hone??

Here is a good link on honing

http://www.dartheadstv.com/video/13335
Not many i'm sure, in fact i wonder how many engine builders even understand what RMS or RA finish even is, nor do they have a RMS checking machine, as i don'r think a lot of them even use honing plates. Other factors include putting in hardblock after the blk is finish honed DUH!!
My only problem with Mahle pistons is that the ring groove is too close to the top of the piston and too many of the people today think that nitrous is the only solution to HP (i hate nitrous)
By the way a couple months ago i ask you about needle bearing cam bearings, i was designing/building a needle bearing cam setup for a 1600 Datsun SCCA car. CompCams laughed at me and said it would never work (they tried to do it for a customer) I found compatable bearing with Timkin, and did the job.

You have an EM with pics, of the finished product.

Zip.
Zip

Thanks for the pics you sent!!

We have never used hard block I always say if you need hard block your using the wrong block