Alky AFR?

Old 01-21-2008, 01:17 PM
thetanman101
JUNIOR BUILDER

Default Alky AFR?

Gonna try to hit a local dyno next week. What is the optimal AFR for alky at? Will just be focusing on jetting and timing for this session.

What have some of ya'll been charged at your local dyno cells? This one we have here is an upstart import tuner shop, and I think their having a hard time getting a foothold. I feel like I'm getting a steal at what they're charging, and just wanted to compare. They shot me a price of $75 for three pulls, or per hour of tuning.

-Tanner
Old 01-22-2008, 07:25 AM
OneBadGMC
RACING JUNKIE

Theoretical optimal is 7.6:1, assuming perfect conditions under 14 PSI of atmospheric pressure.

Your A/F ratio will vary depending on altitude, motor efficiency, and humidity.
Old 01-22-2008, 05:55 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: Alky AFR?

Originally Posted by thetanman101
Gonna try to hit a local dyno next week. What is the optimal AFR for alky at? Will just be focusing on jetting and timing for this session.

What have some of ya'll been charged at your local dyno cells? This one we have here is an upstart import tuner shop, and I think their having a hard time getting a foothold. I feel like I'm getting a steal at what they're charging, and just wanted to compare. They shot me a price of $75 for three pulls, or per hour of tuning.

-Tanner
Tanner thats sounds real cheap...are you sure they are not a chassis dyno instead....dont get me wrong nothing wrong with a chassis dyno if your trying to find hp lost thru the chassis by experiencing with pinion angles,sub frame connectors etc..the chassis dyno is another great tool for dialing in a converter and gears.....but it will not give an accurate reading on what the motor is making at the fly wheel....

of course i am only assuming it is a chassis dyno...and you already knew this info...lol :roll:

Clements racing here in S.C. gets 400-450 for an engine dyno session,with no excessive valve adjustments etc.. ( break in and 5 to 6 pulls) from what i have seen while i was there.

Brian

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 01-24-2008, 11:24 AM
thetanman101
JUNIOR BUILDER

Brian, it is a chassis dyno. I'm not too worried about hp figures, as I'll believe the results at the track more. I'm only wanting to get my new Alky carb and timing tuned in. This is my first shot tuning an alky carb, so I thought it would be a tremendous help to use the AFR readings of the dyno to get me in the zone quickly. Hopefully save me having to spend a whole day tuning and transporting at a track.

-Tanner