Fuel System - gas and alcohol

Old 08-30-2007, 12:14 PM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by davis419b
I rest my case! Find me someone who is running that big of jet with a belt drive pump, you wont. The guy in question here is running a belt drive pump. If you run the right fuel system you wont need all that fuel pressure bleed off crap, just set the fuel pressure and go!!

I agree 100% with Davis

Every carb and motor setup is different but IMO try anything from 154 to 168 in that Rupert
Old 08-30-2007, 12:19 PM
curtisreed
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by zipper06
I would be more inclined to believe that with an electic fuel pump you need a bigger jet for more volume due to the lack of volume the pump delievers. Have you ever ran a mechanical pump with your set-up. Years ago i bought an alcohol carb from Barely Grant. I had a Barry Grant pump and they told me it wouldnt work and they were right. Have had a mechanical pump every since. I do not believe you need that bid of jet with an Enderle pump.

Zipper, where are you i need you to jump in here !!
Sorry i'm not alcohol carberator person, but i am a firm believer in front mounted mechanical pumps. My car is setup both for gas and alcohol. I have an 8 gal fuel cell in the trunk and 2 holly blues, and a 1/2" feed line, regulated at 8lbs. I also have a 3gal. cell in the front for alcohol running the toilet bowl with a DSR mechanical pump. If i were to put an alky carb on i would use the mechanical pump and regulate it with an 8lbs bypass off a fuel log/tee. 1 line out of the pump 1 line back to the tank. Real simple setup and cost effective, and you will never run out of fuel in the carb.

just my .02

Zip.
Zip

I have a mechanical pump at home and if I had a cell up front I would run it in a heartbeat. I have made my own throttle body to run injection but haven't gotten around to putting it all on yet because of the amount of work it will take to put a cell in the front of my roadster and to mount the pump. Just not much room there.

Curtis
Old 08-30-2007, 12:58 PM
davis419b
EXPERT BUILDER

Put your belt drive pump and a bypass on with your carb, leave the fuel cell where it is, and problem solved ! Then go race and be consistant.
Old 08-30-2007, 02:35 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by doorracer
Originally Posted by zipper06
I would be more inclined to believe that with an electic fuel pump you need a bigger jet for more volume due to the lack of volume the pump delievers. Have you ever ran a mechanical pump with your set-up. Years ago i bought an alcohol carb from Barely Grant. I had a Barry Grant pump and they told me it wouldnt work and they were right. Have had a mechanical pump every since. I do not believe you need that bid of jet with an Enderle pump.

Zipper, where are you i need you to jump in here !!
Sorry i'm not alcohol carberator person, but i am a firm believer in front mounted mechanical pumps. My car is setup both for gas and alcohol. I have an 8 gal fuel cell in the trunk and 2 holly blues, and a 1/2" feed line, regulated at 8lbs. I also have a 3gal. cell in the front for alcohol running the toilet bowl with a DSR mechanical pump. If i were to put an alky carb on i would use the mechanical pump and regulate it with an 8lbs bypass off a fuel log/tee. 1 line out of the pump 1 line back to the tank. Real simple setup and cost effective, and you will never run out of fuel in the carb.

just my .02

Zip.
Zip

I have a mechanical pump at home and if I had a cell up front I would run it in a heartbeat. I have made my own throttle body to run injection but haven't gotten around to putting it all on yet because of the amount of work it will take to put a cell in the front of my roadster and to mount the pump. Just not much room there.

Curtis
Curtis, another way to do that is leave your cell where it is and still use the electric pump, to a small reserve tank up front 1 gal is plenty. I've seen alum hand made tanks with a holly c'pivot float bowl mounted to the tank to control fuel level in the reserve tank, just remember to use a min. of #8 and preferrably a #12 feed line to the pump. i use #8 on my toilet bowl but #16 on my blower motor. i've got 5 different pumps from a hilborn 0 for gas up to an an Enderle 990, just in case i want to throw a little pop in the alcohol.

Zip.
Old 08-30-2007, 10:02 PM
gdmii
MASTER BUILDER

Originally Posted by hammertime
I rest my case! Find me someone who is running that big of jet with a belt drive pump, you wont. The guy in question here is running a belt drive pump. If you run the right fuel system you wont need all that fuel pressure bleed off crap, just set the fuel pressure and go!!

I agree 100% with Davis

Every carb and motor setup is different but IMO try anything from 154 to 168 in that Rupert
C'mon guys. We're not talking fuel injection here we're talking carburators. The only function a fuel pump has on a carbed motor is to keep the fuel bowls full, period. It doesn't have diddley squat to do with what flows through the jets as long as the bowls are full. The bowls don't care where the fuel comes from or how it got there as long as they are full.

I don't know why it's so hard for some of you to understand that some of us, myself included, have absolutely no room up front for a fuel tank without some MAJOR modifications. If I did I'd be running a belt drive pump but I don't so the electric is the only way. But if you look at the times I have posted in my sig I don't think my car is hurting any.

George
Old 08-31-2007, 04:22 AM
curtisreed
RACING JUNKIE

Zip,

I've seen the surge tanks set up just like what you are describing. I make our own aluminum cells and sheetmetal valve covers that I used to sell, so making the tank and getting it set up is not a problem. I understand what is needed (although I appreciated the intended help). I don't want to add the weight and complication just to run the injection. I will add a frame for the cell and aero nose to the front to cover it when I decide to inject it, but don't want to do it until racing season is over. Thanks for the reply.

Curtis
Old 08-31-2007, 06:01 AM
davis419b
EXPERT BUILDER

Why is it that you think you have to have a fuel cell up front to run a belt drive pump? Remember it is a carbuerator with fuel bowls not injection. I now run a 1250 Bolaws with a Bolaws belt drive pump with a bypass built into the pump. I dont even have to use a return line. My fuel tank is 10" from the pump. My point is you said you have never ran a belt drive pump yet you continue to tell us we are wrong. My car runs 4.70,s and will repeat againand again and again will yours? Does that make me right,NO!!! What makes me right is that i have experience running an alcohol carb with a belt drive pump. Do you bracket race or race heads-up.
Old 08-31-2007, 07:13 AM
curtisreed
RACING JUNKIE

Davis,

I never said you have to have the fuel cell up front to run a belt drive pump, but as you know these were not made to suck from the back of a car. My cell is a lot further from the pump than 10". Is your cell in front of or behind your pump? I do remember this is a carburator with bowls. I never said I have never run a belt drive pump! I AM IN NO WAY SAYING YOU ARE WRONG. I just agreed with George's point when it comes to way carburators react on different size engines. I am seeing these results.

There are 3 cars that I own part of and race. All bracket cars, '66 Nova with Ron's toilet sbc, Victory dragster with belt drive pump and carburator 468, and my '27 roadster with electric pump and carb sbc. So I do have experience running all three combinations. I'm glad you car will run 4.70s, I truly mean that. But I also don't care. You do have a nice looking car and I'm sure you are happy with the way it runs. My car won't run 4.70s but that doesn't mean I'm an idiot about this stuff either.

I don't understand your reaction to the things I have posted because none of it was directed at you personally. I know there are different ways to do just about everthing and get good results. Remember I am not saying you are wrong only posting my opinions, surely nothing for anyone to take offense at.

Curtis
Old 08-31-2007, 07:40 AM
davis419b
EXPERT BUILDER

Curtis, This post was not meant for you it was meant for George, my mistake i should have adressed it to George,Sorry! I have plenty of friends who run belt drive pumps with the tank in the rear of door cars with no problems. One friend of mine runs a 56 Chevy with a 468. Rupert 1050 and enderle belt drive pump with 144 jets and i have seen him repeat 6 and 7 times in a row. Hell i have seen him repeat to the thousand 4 times in a row. Again that post was not meant for you. It is your car and you can do whatever you want with it. I just didnt like George telling me i was wrong when i run the fuel system you were asking about and he does not. Thank You, Don
Old 08-31-2007, 07:45 AM
davis419b
EXPERT BUILDER

Originally Posted by gdmii
Originally Posted by hammertime

I agree 100% with Davis

C'mon guys. We're not talking fuel injection here we're talking carburators. The only function a fuel pump has on a carbed motor is to keep the fuel bowls full, period. It doesn't have diddley squat to do with what flows through the jets as long as the bowls are full. The bowls don't care where the fuel comes from or how it got there as long as they are full.

I don't know why it's so hard for some of you to understand that some of us, myself included, have absolutely no room up front for a fuel tank without some MAJOR modifications. If I did I'd be running a belt drive pump but I don't so the electric is the only way. But if you look at the times I have posted in my sig I don't think my car is hurting any.

George

Here are the comments i was referring to!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -