ME AND MY PUTER ARE HOT

Old 07-11-2007, 04:22 PM
lotsof454sss
DYNO OPERATOR

Default ME AND MY PUTER ARE HOT

This is not racer related but it took 2 days out of my life and maybe I can save you the problem....I was having trouble with the computer and just knew I had been hacked..Had one of symptoms such as the ole puter would just freeze on me and nothing would work except to turn her off and reboot...Well after almost 2 days of cussin and kicking I decided to clean the dust out of the ole gal and what do you think...That was the trouble all along...She was gettin hot on me and I didn't know it but a good sucking out with the vaccum and she will roll on now....So keep your puter in mind when your doing maintenance chores and shine her up too...
Old 07-11-2007, 04:39 PM
lively
RACING JUNKIE

GEE--I MIGHT HAVE HURT MY OLD ONE WHEN I RAN IT THRU THE CAR WASH!!!!!! :shock: :shock: IT WAS FULL OF SPAM SO I NEEDED TO CLEAN IT OUT!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 07-11-2007, 04:39 PM
chevguy65
RACING JUNKIE

You are correct that heat will kill a pc fast as anything.
But do not use a vaccum in it, all you need to do is accidently bump a resistor or capacitor and it's fried.

Go buy a can of air and clean it out about once a month.

Make sure you get the fans and heat sink very well.

The heat sink is that thingy on the mother board that sits on top of your processor.
Old 07-11-2007, 04:41 PM
chevguy65
RACING JUNKIE

Oh, btw, I have left my position as a tax man and am now back working in the tech industry.....guess I needed to be a geek more than a government employee.
Old 07-11-2007, 04:46 PM
lotsof454sss
DYNO OPERATOR

I make sure I do not touch anything inside the box..It is easy to take a good vaccum such as Rigid makes and pull the problem dust thru the fan outlet and the inlets in the case..I also use the plastic hose is all when inside and prefer to use a small brush to knock the dust loose as the vaccum sucks it clean...But I know it sure is good to have her running at top speed again...By the way, if you need a shop vac get the Rigid...I bought 2 at Home Depot and the warranty is, as long as you own it and take it to the store and they plug it up and flip the switch and it will not come on they give you a new one....Now that is a life time warranty..Oh and lively, your suppose to eat the spam...
Old 07-11-2007, 05:06 PM
jbsjunk
EXPERT BUILDER

I just take mine to work with me once in a while, pull the sides off and blow the guts out of it. :shock:
Old 07-11-2007, 05:54 PM
chevguy65
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by lotsof454sss
I make sure I do not touch anything inside the box..It is easy to take a good vaccum such as Rigid makes and pull the problem dust thru the fan outlet and the inlets in the case..I also use the plastic hose is all when inside and prefer to use a small brush to knock the dust loose as the vaccum sucks it clean...But I know it sure is good to have her running at top speed again...By the way, if you need a shop vac get the Rigid...I bought 2 at Home Depot and the warranty is, as long as you own it and take it to the store and they plug it up and flip the switch and it will not come on they give you a new one....Now that is a life time warranty..Oh and lively, your suppose to eat the spam...
The thing with the brush is if it pushes a piece of dust between two contacts in an agp or pci slot it could cause an electrical arc and blow out that slot or worse.

I will stand behind using air only.
Old 07-11-2007, 06:11 PM
lotsof454sss
DYNO OPERATOR

Originally Posted by chevguy65
Originally Posted by lotsof454sss
The thing with the brush is if it pushes a piece of dust between two contacts in an agp or pci slot it could cause an electrical arc and blow out that slot or worse.

I will stand behind using air only.
OOOOOOOOOK, Then I guess that the air could not possibly blow a dust particle into a gap or pci slot or a set of contacts is what your telling me...I will be sure and drag it outside to the air hose then and I know it will not short out anything..

Thanks for the suggestion, and I am not trying to be a wisenhimer here but I do not agree any more with your theory than you do mine as I can see the flaw in both of them...
Old 07-11-2007, 06:24 PM
chevguy65
RACING JUNKIE

No biggie bud....just going by my years of tech support and experience, all I can do is give advice.
I have seen what a vaccum can do, not that it will ever happen to you.

If you want to use a vaccum to torque rod bolts in an assembled short block instead of a torque wrench, by all means do it. :P

Your still my friend and a difference of opinion now and again is healthy. 8) 8)
Old 07-11-2007, 07:06 PM
mcracecars
EXPERT BUILDER

do not use vacumm cleaners around circuit boards.......
these things will cause a build up of static and discharge through the boards...
I have seen it. Back when I had a real job of repairing copiers for a large american based photo copier company, the new guys would vaccum out the dust from inside and around the boards and the sparks would fly.... the machine looked good without all the dust, but didnt work at all. A couple thousand bucks in new boards and everything worked ok again.

compressed air seems to work best to clean out the dust, just be careful.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -