Thinking about hanging it up

Old 03-06-2012, 10:00 PM
olds48
RACING JUNKIE

Default Thinking about hanging it up

I havent fully decided yet,but I'm pretty sure I'm gonna give up the drag racing and just put the Olds back on the road. I hate to slow the car down,but where I live this kind of engine just will not live running the highways. I have to drive half an hour just to get to the nearest grocery store. I just hate seeing all that time and money tied up in something that I cant use to drive in to town whenever I want. I LOVE racing,and may end up back in it. My plans are to put in a decent little small block just to putt around with.Maybe one day I'll do a small blow thru setup. Gimmethakick has put grand visions of turbo-d,streetable LS1's in my mind....thanks bud...like I'm not already broke/busy enough :evil: I dont know. Racing hasn't gotten stale for me,I still love it,just need to focus on more pressing issues right now. That being said there will probably be a 496 BBC and a 24' enclosed in the classifieds soon.
Old 03-07-2012, 04:46 AM
outlaw256
RACING JUNKIE

i understand olds. i gave up racing at the strip yrs and yrs ago. i built a sbc and won thousands on the street,late at nite. when at the strip you raeally couldnt bring home that kinda money. but that was in the late 70s and early 80s.much money for those days.and my motors didnt belong on the street. butthats just where they stayed.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:44 AM
andamo
MASTER BUILDER

Before you start selling stuff off, just take a season off and then make your final decision. I've heard and seen too many racers shuck it all and sell off everything, and then the next year have a huge case of sellers remorse. The cost of letting your equipment sit for a season is minimal, and things sometime change.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:15 AM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

X2 on that ! I've 'tried' to get out of the car life a couple of times to 'adapt' to a more domesticated lifestyle, BUT THAT AIN'T ME ! Fortunately I never sold any of my iron.
I'm a hardore car guy and racer and will never change.
Old 03-07-2012, 01:54 PM
ajk
DYNO OPERATOR

DITTO.......On the taking a season off and seeing what you think next year. I sold my car a few years ago. Took the money and spent 90% of it on booze and broads and wasted the rest. :shock: ..lol. Still have the itch to run occasionaly and wish the old ride was still in my shop waiting.
Old 03-07-2012, 02:17 PM
olds48
RACING JUNKIE

Well,it's not that I am tired of car life. I love building cars. But I think that is the whole thing really. i have been racing this setup for a few years now and need something different. Every project I do,once I'm done,I'm bored with it. I never get rid of a car,but will sell off the parts in it and go another route. Drag racing with the Olds: been there,done that,had a blast,now its time for something else. But I will never own a car that needs to be trailered again. I going for street-ability this go around. I'm really lesning towards an LS motor and a couple turbos. A guy who races with us built a 6.0 truck engine. Stock bottom end,gapped the rings for boost,cam,had the computer tuned and stuck it in a foxbody. It idled dead smooth,got 25 mpg on the highway with a glide and 3.55 gears( pretty sure on those gears) and still ran mid 5's. Thats what I'm shooting for.

Once the horsepower bug gets you there is no turning away! I'll never leave the hi-perf car scene.I just need a new project to work on. Watching TV sucks...I'm not old enough for that.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:28 PM
fast75vega
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by olds48
. I'm really lesning towards an LS motor and a couple turbos. A guy who races with us built a 6.0 truck engine. Stock bottom end,gapped the rings for boost,cam,had the computer tuned and stuck it in a foxbody. It idled dead smooth,got 25 mpg on the highway with a glide and 3.55 gears( pretty sure on those gears) and still ran mid 5's..
i have a nice clean 6.0 and thats what i want but with out the turbo's..... here is the link i started.

http://forums.racingjunk.com/viewtopic.php?t=16094
Old 03-07-2012, 07:39 PM
mopar1968
RACING JUNKIE

Now this wouldn't be because a Mopar is coming to getcha is it :?: {Just Kidding] I do understand i had my car for sale a couple months ago :!: I have backed off alot on racing fuel here at Bristol is almost $9.00 per gallon for 110, I just mainly run major events some Bracket racing to keep car up. Thats about it :!:

Mark
Old 03-07-2012, 07:41 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

The LS1 is really the trick way to go for a street car, they are quick, (runs 12.s and gets over 20 MPG). My friend Ronnie who owns the 66 Biscyne has 2 he's installing, 1 in a 1968 Camero which he reskined the rear qtr's and installed all new floors,trunk and firewall. That engine is in the car and running but some body work to go before painting. The other is a 1969 Camero he just bought a couple months ago (at a steal) it's already re-floored and trunk, plus it came with a date correct 350 and Muncie 4 sp trans., it's already painted pretty nice too He paid $10.500.00 for the car and it came $4,000.00 worth of new interior. He picked up a LS1 engine this week with 4L60 trans, wiring harness, computer, rad with duel fans and all accesseries for $2.000.00, out comes the original stuff. He paid $2500.00 for the first LS1. Both motors are low milage, 30,000 to 50,000 miles on them.

Just a thought, if you want to build a daily driver.

I drove by his house on the way to Wally world for grubb, so i took some pics. if anyone is intrested i can post them.

Zip.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:24 PM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

Hey Zip, you KNOW we all like pics of cars and engines !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -