Dart blocks and ebay

Old 02-21-2008, 04:05 PM
altereddoug
JOURNEYMAN

Default Dart blocks and ebay

Okay I have purchased several sets of heads off of ebay and never had any problems. Know what to look for on ebay. But I have never bought a Dart block. Now Prices range from 2000.00 to 2500.00 for a Dart Big M 4.5 bore standard deck/9.8..... Some offer cam bearings and freeze plugs,,, some don't .. Who really cares.
My question is that did or does Dart sell blocks with defects and thats how they can sell them so much cheaper than anyone else? People I bought off of on ebay treated me pretty good. All of them sellers of these blocks have at least 98% positive feedback well over 100 sales.
I have a machinist here locally that will fine tune the block, but is there anything these blocks need besides being honed for the P/W clearance and basic deburring?
Doug
Old 02-21-2008, 04:47 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Yep they do and there's a number of whole sellers selling the FLAWED blocks at cheaper prices. Most are just casting flaws with porosity and donot effect the useability of the blk, but watch out what you buy. We bought 2 dart little "M" blks. for $1400.00 each a couple yrs ago and they are still in use today, minor flaws with porosity.

Zip
Old 02-21-2008, 05:05 PM
altereddoug
JOURNEYMAN

Does Dart at least stamp the blocks that are defective or how can you tell there is a problem with them ?
Old 02-21-2008, 05:22 PM
dcarr511
JUNIOR BUILDER

The blem blocks I have seen for sale on ebay have been by the same seller and he points out the defect and seems to be up front about the situation ... and the price affects it.

Like it was mentioned .. most are porisity issues that wont affect performance, cosmetic blems.
Here is a link to one of his typical blem ads ...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-D...em110224721337
Old 02-21-2008, 06:00 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Yep here's the same blk relisted at $1100.00, that's a pretty good deal.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-D...3216QQtcZphoto

JMO

Zip.
Old 02-22-2008, 04:00 AM
dcarr511
JUNIOR BUILDER

Originally Posted by zipper06
Yep here's the same blk relisted at $1100.00, that's a pretty good deal.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-D...3216QQtcZphoto

JMO

Zip.
I think they " May " be differant blocks .. as the one Zip listed says it needs the grooves for the rear main seal machined .. I was wondering why the same block would be listed for 300 $ cheaper. Otherwise they are identical blocks.

To answer the question originally asked if Dart marks their " Blem " blocks ... I myself dont know and havent ever heard of them doing it. I guess the question could always be posted over at Darts Forum.
Old 02-22-2008, 10:10 AM
hotrodharley
EXPERT BUILDER

can't answer you on the blem part but i bought my dart block off e-bay..when i got block it came direct from dart.i looked at shipping tag and return address was dart not the person[store]i got from on e-bay..