Ohio Crankshaft?

Old 06-17-2008, 06:23 PM
duswill
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

Default Ohio Crankshaft?

I am looking at a Ohio Crankshaft building me a short block. They will use a Motown block, JE pistons 4340 H-Beam Rods and crank. Has anybody used them that can give me some feed back.
Thanks
Old 06-17-2008, 06:42 PM
TheRabbit
RACING JUNKIE

I've never used them, but read this a few weeks ago.

http://forums.racingjunk.com/viewtop...ght=ohio+crank
Old 06-17-2008, 10:56 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

I bought my stuff from them and after a few runs the bearings looked bad...ended up it was out of balance and the main bores were too tight...had to have it balanced and align honed....I would get it unassembled and have everything checked out before you put it together. I know a guy who bought a shortblock assembled and it started knocking upon initial start up and he found a main cap loose. They did make it right but still had to pull it and haul it to them . Mine was a 540 with a merlin block.
Old 06-26-2008, 03:46 AM
N2Dirt
APPRENTICE

i've got one of their 44lbs 383 cranks in my dirt track car turning 8000 rpms, no problems yet........knock on wood
Old 06-26-2008, 06:33 AM
jmarksdragster
RACING JUNKIE

Look at the Little M Sportsman block, the material and finish machine work are superior to the World blocks. Ohio Cranks have had a poor rep on several forums I frequent. For a budget build Eagle and Scat are good choices, although Callies quality and finish work is worth the extra if you can handle it. Look for a good local builder to put it together, Ed Wilson/Edvanced Engines is a moderator on several forums and is in your area. It might cost more now, but if it fails as many have had with Ohio, what will it cost later?
Old 06-26-2008, 09:20 AM
itsabird
RACING JUNKIE

good advice from jmark, i don,t know ed wilson personaly, but i have read his replys to post to guy,s with numerous problems, that were sound. so being local he would be on my short list as a builder.
Old 06-26-2008, 09:22 AM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

www.nyesautomotive.net

Awesome work .. typically Cheaper Prices Dart Blocks and Eagle stuff.
Old 06-27-2008, 05:36 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

I wil N E V E R buy from them again. EVER.
Old 06-29-2008, 04:46 PM
bubbabbc
JUNIOR BUILDER

Steer clear of this mess. Pony up a couple of more bucks and buy a quality rotating assembly from Callies. I deal with Brook at callies and have had very good results. Remember: Something that seems too good to be true usually is. Callies is a very reputable company that has been around for quite some time.
Old 08-21-2008, 04:44 PM
TheRabbit
RACING JUNKIE

After reading some of the stuff about Ohio I almost hated to tell ya'll i bought a 4.75 bbc billet crank from them 2 weeks ago!
My engine builder assured me that he's been using them for a couple of years and no problems. Chuck @ Ohio was very helpfull and also helpfull with some carb info as well!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -