New scam approach?

Old 06-25-2019, 03:15 AM
lodilobo
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

Default New scam approach?

I've bought and sold on RJ, Craigslist, and several other sites, and thought I had seen every scam out there. There apparently, is a new approach, that puzzles me. I get a text wanting to know my final price, and it wreaks of a scammer. When I respond, they ask if I will accept a certified check, and they will wait until it clears before they pick the item up. Of course, they want my address to send the check. I know it's a scam, but not sure what there objective is. Maybe to get my address?. They could find that through other means, so I don't think that is it. I played along with one, just to see the outcome, but never received the check or any further communication. Is anyone, here familiar with this approach?
Old 06-25-2019, 04:22 AM
brownranch
SHOW GUEST

Same thing happened to me, I posted ad, that evening same thing. The driver would pick up truck after cashiers check cleared???
Old 06-29-2019, 11:35 AM
rcarbuilder
SHOW GUEST

I stopped putting my phone number in any ads. When I did I received texts non stop and at all hours. All scammers. I`ve been told that if you open a text there could be a virus attached to it. I use the cheap flip phones and had one of them hacked and ruined. At least that`s what my carrier said. If someone is serious about your item for sale they will send their number. If they are a buyer they will answer when you call. If they don`t answer don`t waste your time by calling again.