going from 4150 to a dom

Old 09-09-2009, 06:36 PM
OneBadGMC
RACING JUNKIE

If you hammer the gas and it doesn't backfire out the carb when it 'chokes out', then it's rich, not lean.

Lean hesitates and/or backfires out the carb.

Rich blubbers and/or backfires out the exhaust.
Old 09-09-2009, 11:42 PM
cepx111
RACING JUNKIE

Excellent point and good explanation> Wj
Damit man, your a pretty fart smeller, I mean pretty smart fellar. 8)
Cp
Old 09-10-2009, 09:42 AM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

the carb is way too big.
Old 09-10-2009, 10:14 AM
OneBadGMC
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by Tod74
the carb is way too big.
Yeah, I think we told him that back on page 1...

But hey, everyone wants to learn the hard way, right?
Old 09-11-2009, 06:39 AM
chevynovaman
SENIOR BUILDER

WHATS THE BIG DEAL ON 1050... ON MY 383 YEARS AGO WENT FROM A REGULAR 750 DP TO A 750 DOMINATOR AND IT MADE A WORLD OF DIFFERENCE... I WOULD GO WITH THE 750 DOMINATOR AND YOU WILL GET ALOT MORE THROTTLE RESPONSE AND WONT BE TO BIG.... GOOD LUCK...
Old 09-11-2009, 06:44 PM
fishman1
MASTER BUILDER

Originally Posted by OneBadGMC
Originally Posted by Tod74
the carb is way too big.
Yeah, I think we told him that back on page 1...

But hey, everyone wants to learn the hard way, right?
One bad gmc.....i aprreicate your advice , yes u told me the carb was to big but on the other hand i had as many people tell me that it would work great and that it isn't to big...........that is why i am going to try it i am not bull headed but when i get a 50/50 split i am going for it.

I played with the carb tonight and it is purring like a baby, it was to lean,,,richened up the air fuel ratio and dropped to a 35 squiter and now it has no flat spot............thanks all for your opinions, next week will be the tell tale as how it works.........Friday we have a friend renting the track so i will test and tune then if it doesn't work i will put on my old carb.............proof will be in the pudding
Old 09-20-2009, 08:06 PM
fishman1
MASTER BUILDER

Well made it to the track this weekend to try out the dominator 1050 of my buddys..........Saturday the air was unreal 4900 feet da............looked at my weather station and with my old carb it said i should run a 10.20 ok got a base to go by, the best the car ran on Saturday was 10.05...it picked up 1 1/2 tenths ok i was happy.....i was going to pull some jet out of the carb as it was rich and my buddy i borrowed the carb off of said hey you want to try my 1050 AEd i have on my car right now and it is faster then the old holley dominator...so i said sure, so we swapped carbs and sunday got up and the air was great 2900 feet but we had a 50-60km head wind yikesssss anyways the best we ran was a 10.002....i was totally surprised as the car picked everywhere......best 60 foots at that track 1.34 from a 1.378 and best 1/8 mile 6.28 from a 6.35 and best et and best mph ..............in all and all i was very happy..............looks like i might have to buy a dominator..............thanks all for the help and info
Old 11-09-2009, 09:47 AM
prostreetpreach
SHOW GUEST

ANYTTHING SHORT OF A MAX-EFFORT 383 C.I. WOULD NEVER NEED THAT MUCH FUEL, EXAMPLE OF "MAX-EFFORT":::: 18 DEGREE VALVE ANGLE OR LESS INCLUDING SPLAYED VALVE HEADS, HEAD FLOW NEARING OR SURPASSING 350 CFM ON THE INTAKE SIDE, MEGA COMPRESSION, OVER 700 HONEST HP, ANYTHING SHORT OF THAT AND A 850-950 CFM WILL PUT YOUR 383 IN IT,S PEAK JUST BY USING GENERAL CARB TUNING TECHNIQUES, TO BIG A CARB IS A AGO OLD PROBLEM, I,M GUILTY OF IT MYSELF, GOOD LUCK, JUST THOUGHT I WOULD THROW MY OPINION IN THE MIX, BEEN DOING THIS GAME FOR NEARLY 30 YEARS!!
Old 11-09-2009, 04:16 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

don't just buy a domimater...Go with APD or Pro-systems and you will get the Best the Dominater has to offer...it might be few hundred more but well worth the extra ponies their carbs Make.

i have personally had APD custom build me a carb...ran like a banshee !!!

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "