MSD ?

Old 03-21-2008, 04:00 PM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Its alive !!

Today I added 3 grounds 1 one each side of the block to the chassis, and 1 to the ford solenoid. Checked all volts before even trying to start it had 12.3-12.5volts everywhere and when cranking the motor over with ign off it had 10.3 & 10.8 after grounding the ford solenoid. Had great spark, turned it over same problem, was cranking slow and had a weird noise when turning it over. Decided maybe the flywheel teeth were ground down far enough that it was causing this issue, pulled tranny put different flywheel on it same problem. I decided maybe to put my spare starter on, put it on and sure enough fixed all my issues. I did unhook the start retard also doubt I'll reconnect it. I rolled it half out of the garage 26 degrees out and snowing like a blizzard. Hit the primer plus and she came alive fast !! Started very fast and sounded good .....

thanks for all the info and help !!
Old 03-21-2008, 04:04 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by hammertime
Its alive !!

Today I added 3 grounds 1 one each side of the block to the chassis, and 1 to the ford solenoid. Checked all volts before even trying to start it had 12.3-12.5volts everywhere and when cranking the motor over with ign off it had 10.3 & 10.8 after grounding the ford solenoid. Had great spark, turned it over same problem, was cranking slow and had a weird noise when turning it over. Decided maybe the flywheel teeth were ground down far enough that it was causing this issue, pulled tranny put different flywheel on it same problem. I decided maybe to put my spare starter on, put it on and sure enough fixed all my issues. I did unhook the start retard also doubt I'll reconnect it. I rolled it half out of the garage 26 degrees out and snowing like a blizzard. Hit the primer plus and she came alive fast !! Started very fast and sounded good .....

thanks for all the info and help !!
SHOULD have wrapped some chains around the tires and took it for a spin...lol

I had a borrowed 7 AL3 in my car for awhile and couldn't get the start retard to work either. ...but I don't use a crank trigger just a MSD dist. with adv locked out.
Old 03-21-2008, 05:17 PM
topcat572
MASTER BUILDER

Default starter

Yall up there guys need to park those piperacks and race snow mobiles. :roll: