ATK engines

Old 01-23-2008, 06:55 PM
slowmotion
RACING JUNKIE

Default ATK engines

Anybody ever used ATK engines?

I'm thinking about buying a 454 from them. I've been checking around and haven't found anybody that comes close to their prices.
With msd distributor, Weiand intake, plug wires, and Street Avenger carb, It's about $4000 shipped to my door.

http://high-performance-engines.com/...duct_Code=HP40
Old 01-24-2008, 07:56 PM
bubbabbc
JUNIOR BUILDER

Company A...........5500
B...........5600
C...........5550
D...........5700
E............5650
F............5400
etc etc ...5300-10000
ATK........4000

first thought..............hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
second thought.........what's the difference?
third thought.............a thousand voices saying "something that seems too
good to be true, usually is".
fourth thought...........let the buyer beware

it's your move..................................
Old 01-24-2008, 09:38 PM
cbtlr
SENIOR BUILDER

Well said!!!^^^^^^^
Old 01-27-2008, 04:41 PM
scuncio
SHOW GUEST

We had tried to use some ATK engines in the past ops: . We dont use them anymore :wink:
Old 01-27-2008, 05:58 PM
slowmotion
RACING JUNKIE

Thanks for all the replies.
Old 01-28-2008, 03:12 AM
tcarda
MASTER BUILDER

Default Re: ATK engines

Originally Posted by slowmotion

I'm thinking about buying a 454 from them. I've been checking around and haven't found anybody that comes close to their prices.
With msd distributor, Weiand intake, plug wires, and Street Avenger carb, It's about $4000 shipped to my door.

What are you looking to put this in and what hp level are you looking to achieve? Also, do you plan on running 87 or 92 octane gas?
Old 01-28-2008, 07:33 AM
shortyems3307
JOURNEYMAN

i used atk engines about 10 or 12 years ago when i had my auto repair shop. we used the stock replacement engines not the hp. i used them for there price and warranty. i only installed 2 of them. one was a 4.3 in an astro van and one was a 2.5 in a cutlas ciera. they shipped fast and they looked really good and i didn't have any problems with either one. i was impressed with what i used and the service. they probably have a lot higher standards and tolerances with there hp line of engines.. matt
Old 01-28-2008, 03:24 PM
slowmotion
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: ATK engines

Originally Posted by tcarda
Originally Posted by slowmotion

What are you looking to put this in and what hp level are you looking to achieve? Also, do you plan on running 87 or 92 octane gas?
I'm going to put in in a '32 Bantam altered. I want to run slower than 9.50. That way I can run Pro or Super Pro or even double enter if I want. It would be nice to be right at 9.50 so that the other Pro cars have the chance to red light first.
Using http://www.golenengineservice.com/ht...rs.html#DRcalc
If it weighs 1900 lbs (we're not sure on that) 415 hp is 9.67. I know there are alot of variables to consider. Just using it as a guide.
As far as fuel, I want to run pump gas to save on buying racing fuel. So even 92 octane would be fine.

Old 02-01-2008, 02:46 AM
excelerater
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=41993
Old 02-01-2008, 04:32 AM
edvancedengines
DYNO OPERATOR

Location: VA Hospital, Dallas, Tx (214 302 1924) cell-972-464-7400

Slow Motion,
Where are you located? Maybe I' can see if I can put something together for you if you are not too far away. I hate to toot my own horn but to me 415 for any BB Chevy is laugh material. Maybe I can't equal that price. Don't know. Haven't built a mild 454 in a long time. If I can still get either the 049 or 781 heads, for that power level you could run them pretty much stock with some slight mods by hand but keep the little valves or go up some and put the bigger valves in it. Still even with a hydraulic cam I can see no way possible to be at 415 hp for a 92 octane engine.

What are you seeking in an engine?
Race?
Street driving? (I thought you were installing it in a race car by what I read).

I have daily street driven SB Chevys on 87 octane that are equaling that power level. Fact is I am wondering what in the world they could be doing to hold any kind of built BB down to 415 hp. I am guessing it has either stock factory rods or cheap aftermarkets? Pressed pin pistons or floating? Cast Iron Crank? Factory Steel? Aftermarket Cast Steel?

There are several engine builders here on Racing Junk. Why not at least call to Bill hendrens, or Awsome Engines (?) or Frank at Advanced Engines, or RhinoEngines and talk with Ron. See if any of them will worl you up a package in your budget range using stock block heads etc. Like I said, Maybe I can, and maybe I can't. I do know this though if you had one of mine with hydraulics you wouldn't be even touching the rockers for adjusting except maybe every once in awhile if at all.

Who knows, maybe they have a friend at the Junk Yard and can get parts cheap.

Ed

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -