505 BBC Headers

Old 09-04-2010, 05:12 PM
coolracing
MASTER BUILDER

Default 505 BBC Headers

Need help I am builing a 505 BBC Dart Pro 1 heads 13.5 compression Dart intake King demon 1190 carb what size tube should i run on the headers i was thinking 2 1/8 but i dont know anyone else have any input on this?
Old 09-08-2010, 04:35 PM
coolracing
MASTER BUILDER

TTT
Old 09-08-2010, 05:02 PM
TheRabbit
RACING JUNKIE

2 1/8 is a common size kit that you can build pretty easy and should work good for you.
Old 09-09-2010, 09:25 AM
TopspeedLowet
DYNO OPERATOR

2.125" would be ok for decent performance with that CI assuming that you are not revving over 7000 RPM by much. 2.25" would be better if you are a NO2 guy. Either size you choose to use, be sure that you make all pipes 30" long measured from the flange, no longer, unless your engine resides in the lower rpm range like 6000 or less then 32" would be better. The smaller pipe you use meaning the 2.125", the more effective the lower end torque will be and higher the vacuum signal will be at the carb to make tuning very easy. Do not make the pipes shorter than 27" unless you rev over 7600 rpm. Good luck on your fab, headers can be a very rewarding job to do and not real complicated either. Just be sure that you do NOT drop your weld in the pipe. The inside of a pipe joint should not look like it has been welded on the inside. This will restrict air flow and make the header act like a smaller diameter. Keep the weld on the outside of the pipe only.
Bruce
Old 09-09-2010, 10:46 AM
johnracer
DYNO OPERATOR

Hey Bruce, haven't seen you post in a while! The Vette is still working great! I won a SG race in Denver on 7/3 and a 3rd Wally at a National Dragster Challenge race on 8/15. Thanks again for all your help!

Sorry to hijack the thread,
Johnny
Old 09-09-2010, 04:53 PM
coolracing
MASTER BUILDER

Originally Posted by TopspeedLowet
2.125" would be ok for decent performance with that CI assuming that you are not revving over 7000 RPM by much. 2.25" would be better if you are a NO2 guy. Either size you choose to use, be sure that you make all pipes 30" long measured from the flange, no longer, unless your engine resides in the lower rpm range like 6000 or less then 32" would be better. The smaller pipe you use meaning the 2.125", the more effective the lower end torque will be and higher the vacuum signal will be at the carb to make tuning very easy. Do not make the pipes shorter than 27" unless you rev over 7600 rpm. Good luck on your fab, headers can be a very rewarding job to do and not real complicated either. Just be sure that you do NOT drop your weld in the pipe. The inside of a pipe joint should not look like it has been welded on the inside. This will restrict air flow and make the header act like a smaller diameter. Keep the weld on the outside of the pipe only.
Bruce
I did forget to mention that I am using
NO2.
Old 09-09-2010, 05:11 PM
bbchevy
RACING JUNKIE

Default Pipes

Originally Posted by coolracing
Originally Posted by TopspeedLowet
Bruce
I did forget to mention that I am using
NO2.
I would think a 2.250 Primary would be Just SWEET!
Later
G 8)