UPS came today....

Old 09-17-2007, 05:44 PM
Blue68Camaro
JUNIOR BUILDER

Default UPS came today....

Some of you might remember that i bought an engine off of ebay for $4000
This one to be exact:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...153310227&rd=1

Anyway i just got two boxes from the seller of some of the misc. stuff.

Holley 4150 series 750 carb
Holley Blue fuel pump and regulater
MSD Pro Billet Dist.
MSD 6a box
MSD Blaster coil
Oil Cooler and lines
Autometer phantom series oil temp gauge
Autometer tach

Also i ordered up an aluminum waterpump, aluminum pulleys, chrome alternator, chrome mini starter and stainless radiator hoses so UPS will be busy in my neighborhood for a while it looks like.
Old 09-17-2007, 06:00 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

the motor looks good on the ad..and should make the 600 advertisied hp no problems...i have owned several 406 in the past....my wife has a cast steel head ( dart iron eagle) 406ci with a 5.20 small flat tappet cam..and it made 480 hp 460 TQ...so you should be all over 600 no problem...

as i said before i have ran these 406 to death..many will tell you the webbing is WEAK and IT IS..but for the hp range you are at ..the motor will be perfect.....you start pushing these blocks over the 750hp range bad things are known to happen to the bottom end webbing etc.....

but again i have ran them all over 700 hp in the past....sold one to a guy in Atlanta that is a member of this board going on 3 years ago and he is still making rounds in the car/motor..6.70's-6.80's in a 3,000 lb car...

just curious how did you verify it was a 400 block ?

thanks brian

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 09-17-2007, 06:22 PM
Blue68Camaro
JUNIOR BUILDER

I have not verified anything. I only know what it says in the auction. I have not yet even set eyes upon it yet. ODFL says it should be here by wed.

You think 600HP?? The auction said 500 so i would be really happy with 500.
Old 09-18-2007, 04:08 AM
chevguy65
RACING JUNKIE

Sounds like one hell of a combo.

The only thing I would think about changing is that 6A box to a 6AL.

The rev limiter will give you peace of mind not to over rev and chance blowing all that $$$ up.

Your combo is very similar to my lil 355 which puts out over 460hp and 480 on tq.
I just changed from Holley carb to a Demon and my engine LOVES it!!!! and so do I...lol

Keep us informed on the progress!!!
Old 09-18-2007, 08:34 AM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

To make the 6a box the same as the 6al ..is to buy a $70.00 part..buy you a msd rpm selector module and plug into the box..you can put your rpm rev chips in this selector module...this is the only difference between the 6a and the 6al,,when they built the 6al they just incorporated the rev limiter inside the box itself eliminating the need to buy the selector module......

also the reason i say 600 is possible is beacuse my last 406 made 620..but had a slightly bigger cam and a little port work to heads...so yes i think mid 500's to high 500's possible 600 is there with some little modification..

just remember you start doing to much you cut down on the drivability..

when you get the block to assure its a 400..look on side of the block..it will have 3 freeze plugs..or 2 freeze plugs and a factory boss for the 3rd..if it doesn't have this is most likely not a 400.....

it should make 500 blind folded...where you have an edge is the heads you have ..they will make a little more hp, discipate heat quicker which equals HP and its a little lighter...than cast....

good luck

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 09-18-2007, 08:09 PM
Blue68Camaro
JUNIOR BUILDER

Mine is the 6aL