experience with 16 volt batteries

Old 09-07-2007, 03:28 PM
marshalllhancock
SHOW GUEST

Default 16v battery

Make sure if it is a dry cell battery that you don't use a wet style charger. I fried a turbo start this way. The chargers have adjustment to compensate for this and since doing this, I have had no problems from over charging the battery. I know that you said you thought that you had found the problem. I just wanted to post this up for anyone else that might read this thread. This was a problem that I brought on myself and was an expensive learning process. Maybe this will save someone else that expense.

Good Luck and Race Safe

Hancock Racing
Old 09-09-2007, 06:39 PM
oneowner73
JOURNEYMAN

Thank You Batteriesareus. I ran the car a few times with the 12volt battery with good results. Will retry the Vbattery when the work schedule allows racing again. Will be in touch with results.
Brian
Old 10-24-2007, 07:15 PM
oneowner73
JOURNEYMAN

Directed to Partsmore. Got back to the track on Oct. 13th. Found out at 10:30 am at work that I could leave at noon. Ran home and decided to install the Vbattery. I had not had it on the charger recently. I had time when I arrived at the track to charge for an hour and fifteen minutes. It did not reach full charge at that time or any time during the evening. I charged between every run figuring I would eventually get a full charge. When I returned home I placed the battery on the charger for the remainder of the night. Checking on the battery at approximately 10:00 am, I found the red light flashing on the charger indicating that the battery had been on the charger more than 8 hours without fully charging. I disconnected the charger.
The next weekend, the 20th, I knew I could go to the track when I left work on Friday. I put the charger back on for the night to come out Sat. morning to find the green light on indicating a fully charged battery. At the track I made 2 passes and put the charger on. The green light was flashing indicating that charge was being taken. I expected the battery to charge fully but it never did. I kept putting the charger on between passes. I would shut off the main power switch when ever possible. I bought this to reduce the time on the charger but so far I haven't realised much difference. I am considering the purchase of a 16 volt alternator but don't know what voltage it will charge at and how it will effect the electronic equipment. Am I expecting to much from my 16volt Vbattery ?
Thank You Brian
Old 01-11-2008, 10:32 AM
topsportsman1
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Has anyone tried one of these batterys?

http://www.batteriesareus.com/index....oducts_id=9160

Old 01-11-2008, 05:26 PM
Racefab57
DYNO OPERATOR

Tom $925FOR A FU@#!%BATTERY!!!! Oh my god!David.
Old 02-09-2008, 06:39 PM
oneowner73
JOURNEYMAN

Talked to Batteriesareus and sent battery and charger in for testing. Battery was fine and upgraded to another charger. Will see how it works in the spring. They are good people and working with me to sort out my problem.
Brian
Old 12-28-2008, 07:15 PM
oneowner73
JOURNEYMAN

Update: Same problems with updated battery charger. It is a very nice charger and will charge 12 and 16 volt batteries. Works well when I have to take out the 16 volt and replace it with my old Optima 12 volt so I can race. My battery supplier did check my 16 volt battery again and said nothing was wrong but sent me back one of the 32LB. 16 volts. This battery has less cranking capacity than the 52LB. battery. Will now have to get a 16 volt alternator to use the 16 volt battery at all. Guess I will get a Powermaster alt. that has an adjustable regulator so I can change it also when changing batteries. Probably will purchase another brand of 16 volt battery at some time in the future.
Old 12-28-2008, 07:37 PM
oneowner73
JOURNEYMAN

Almost forgot that one the t&t with the 32LB. battery my car picked up with the 16 volt over the 12 volt. Went from a 9.97 to a 9.89 ET. I had run two passes with the 12 volt at 9.98 and 9.97. Switched to the fully charged 16 volt after the cool down and went 9.89 on the first pass. Before the 16 had fully charged they made last call to the lanes and I took the charger off while still charging at 8 amps and slowed to 9.93. I drove back to the trailer and shut the car off to talk to the friend I had just run. When I tried to start the car to load it grunted and clicked and did not start. I reinstalled the 12 volt and it fired right up to load. After loading I checked the voltage on the 16 volt battery to find it showed 16.65 volts and would not start the car.
Tried again at another track with the 16 volt. Fully charged at home. Loaded car, unloaded car, drove around pits warming up and ran fan and water pump to coll down. Drove to the lanes only to have a no start in the lanes. Four starts and a short cool down and no start. Car would always start on 12 volt so I got the tools and switched the cable to the 12 volt post on this battery thinking that maybe somehow my starter just plain didn't like 16 volts. Still no good. Still showed 16.67 volts when removed to reinstall the 12 volt battery. Seems to have volts but no amps.
Old 05-13-2009, 05:42 PM
TheRabbit
RACING JUNKIE

Been thinking about switching to 16 volt. I read this thread and am still curious what you guys think?
Old 05-13-2009, 06:26 PM
whitey70ss
MASTER BUILDER

but its got a 1 year warranty!!!!! :lol:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -