oil brand

Old 05-30-2013, 10:03 AM
Swiley383
RACING JUNKIE

The hardness of that cam will be intresting. I have heard people say the hardness is diffrent in the cams now but I do not know off a test that has been done.Glad it will be from a racer and not a cam company showing the results.
Old 05-30-2013, 02:20 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Hey, what i should have said is i have 1 406" with a flat tappet cam, not a roller cam, the other 3 motors are solid roller cams.
About the .002X1/16" wide flat i grind on the bottom half of the roller lifers lets the oil go down to the roller part of the lifter under pressure just as the .015 hole that Jim mentioned that comp cams now put in their special order lifters, Crower now puts the same .015 hole in the bottom of their brand flat tappet lifters.
I started oiling the rollers yrs ago by grinding the flats on them. As you probably know it's hard to take the roller lifters apart, so the .015 holes are put in the lifters before assy.
I don't have any of those lifters with holes but mine all have flats on them to oil the rollers.
Hope that explains your question.

I'm going up to Ms. around the 20th of June so i will have some hardness #'s to post. I'll take my laptop with me, i'll also take a solid roller cam with me and and roller lifters and get the hardness on them and post the results of all the tests either on this thread or start a new one about this subject. Maybe even post some pics of our shop equipment.

Zip.
Old 05-30-2013, 03:21 PM
Scooterz
RACING JUNKIE

Zip, it does answer the questions. I see you guys talking about things I don't think about or don't know about (yet). I see what you mean about the lifter/grind/holes now... I was just having trouble trying to visualize placement. Man if I could spend just ONE DAY with one of you guys on an engine build.... the school of hard knox is time consuming & expensive sometimes.
Old 05-30-2013, 04:18 PM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

X2 Scoot. I'm more of a chassis/suspension guy. My Brother is the engine scientist....
Old 05-30-2013, 05:54 PM
DRTRCR22
EXPERT BUILDER

Hey Scoot, here is a pic of the Crower EDM lifter with the pressure feed oiling hole in the lifter face. See the tiny hole in the face...? Since I started using these (and the correct oil)I haven't had any flat tappet cam failures...

http://s850.photobucket.com/user/DRT...tml?sort=3&o=0
Old 05-30-2013, 06:02 PM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

This is a hydraulic lifter ?
Old 05-30-2013, 06:20 PM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

Just visited Crowers' website. 'Cool Face' is what they're calling the EDM hole option on ALL Flat tappet lifters.

http://www.crower.com/lifters-web-catalogs
Old 05-30-2013, 06:20 PM
DRTRCR22
EXPERT BUILDER

NO... this a flat tappet hardened face solid lifter, that has been EDM drilled to accept oil from the lifter oil galley pressure into the lifter and down through the EDM hole to provide pressure fed oil to the cam lobes at all times while running. No more relying on oil slinging to lube the lobes, even at idle and especially during break-in... ;O)

Old 05-30-2013, 07:25 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

NO, YB, they are not optional on hydraulic flat tappet lifters, only the solid lifter flat tappet lifters. it can't be done with hydarulic lifters, it would bleed off the oil pressure and every lifter would be clattering due to like of pressure. I'm pretty up to date with Crower and in fact just ordered a set of fuel injection nozzles today from Jerry, who still makes them at home, since Crower no longer is in the injection business, thay sold all their injection parts and stock to Rons injection.

Zip.
Old 05-30-2013, 07:53 PM
Scooterz
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by DRTRCR22
Hey Scoot, here is a pic of the Crower EDM lifter with the pressure feed oiling hole in the lifter face. See the tiny hole in the face...? Since I started using these (and the correct oil)I haven't had any flat tappet cam failures...

Question:is this the kind of lifter that would make your oil pressure bobble just a little... like 3 PSI up/down as it is idling b/c of slight bleed off? My buddies ElCamino oil pressure gauge does that @ idle... makes sense to use this lifter to me... I don't see a downside??

Yeah DD... but you will break down a motor in a weekend & bei up & racing in no time... welding in oil windage trays, looking at bearings, etc... I would love to spend a day w/ you too!! I saw your build log on the Doba... pretty extensive!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -