gas and alcohol

Old 01-02-2008, 11:14 AM
dak697
MASTER BUILDER

plus the added advantage of having some more torque down low
Old 01-10-2008, 06:05 PM
olds48
RACING JUNKIE

Really?Alky can give more bottom-end torque?
Old 01-10-2008, 09:12 PM
davis419b
EXPERT BUILDER

Chuck Nuytten makes good gas carbs but his alcohol carbs are junk!!!!!!!
Old 01-12-2008, 08:40 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by olds48
Alcohol wakes up an engine if you have compression, i donot know anything about alcohol carbs, but injected or blown and injected is my game. It's not uncommon to lose 2 to 3 tenths, going from gas carbs. to injection on alcohol, 60' time are decreased and 1/8 mile times are decreased.

Zip.
Old 01-13-2008, 10:14 AM
OneBadGMC
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by zipper06
Alcohol wakes up an engine if you have compression, i donot know anything about alcohol carbs, but injected or blown and injected is my game. It's not uncommon to lose 2 to 3 tenths, going from gas carbs. to injection on alcohol, 60' time are decreased and 1/8 mile times are decreased.

Zip.
There is more to be gained in a n/a application from the mechanical injection than going to gas to alky.

A gas to alky carb will pick up bottom end torque, but the larger gains are seen with injection.
Old 01-13-2008, 12:47 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

i ran my 67 camaro on Gas Carb for three years..never lifted the front tires..just a good squat in rear....Best ET on Gas at 3,000 lbs with a 511 ci was a 5.99 at 114 mph..
the end of this year i decided to try ALCOHOL...ordered a custom alcohol carb from APD..swapped intakes...took the car to the track,,,rolled up to the line like i always did..brought it up to 4,000rpm and let the tranksbrake go and thought it would be like all my other Gasoline passes...well i was standing on my rear bumper before i could blink..then to make it worse i went into a roll about 1/2 way up.....i peddled the car down to soften the landing...got back into throttle after coming to almost a dead stand still little past the 60 ft mark.......still ran a 5.98et with a 1.32 60ft at 116mph...mind you the 60ft was clocked with the back tires and peddling the car....made only this pass and put the car on the trailer..my set up wasn't ready for the new bottom end Hit....

this is how dramatic the bottom end changed on my car from gas to ALCOHOL...i now have wheelie bars on the car and waiting for spring...i see no problems with lower 5.70's and some 1.26-1.28 60 fts...and probably in the 117/118 mph range.....Keep in mind this is a fullbodied PRO-STREET ( street legal) camaro at little over 3,000 lbs with a little big block ( 2 bolt main)..

this is 3 tenths increase and 3 to 4 mph increase...let me tell you i was a non believer in alcohol up until this past November 17th.......

Alochol is the sheznnnezzz ...

as zip and onebadgmac said...add injection into the picture and the throttle response goes thru the roof...

check out Vp fuels website on the New M-3 and the M-5 Methanol.

Brian

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 01-31-2008, 08:09 AM
gasalley
CRAFTSMAN

Default Re: gas and alcohol

Originally Posted by gasalley
Originally Posted by superstreeter
Iv`e been thinking about this for a while. Anybody mixing gas with small amounts (5-10%) of alcohol ? are there any advantages to this?
you can run 10% ethanol without any problems. we can but this at the pump here in Iowa & many other parts of the USA. we,also, buy an E-85 blend of ethanol(85% ethanol - 15% gasoline) from the pump for use in street engines with a modified carb. or injection systems(some factory vehicles come with a flex fuel option). ethanol is a corn or other plant material type of alcohol.

here's some more info.
try looking at these websites
quickfueltechnology.com --- e85 carbs & conversion kits
classicmtrsprts.com ---- e85 carbs & conversion kits
e85fuel.com -- general info with many links

hope this helps!
Old 01-31-2008, 10:16 AM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Actually it picks up more TQ than it does HP....and Yes to your question, you can swap to alcohol and change nothing else except fuel delivery system.

i for one purchased an apd alochol carb and placed on my 67 camaro in November last year..( yes i used an eletric pump)...anyhow
511 bbc with 14 to 1 compression...anyhow,,i ran this car on gas 2 years before ..never had any issues with chassis adjstment etc...best pass on gas @3,004 lbs street legal was 5.99et at 114mph with 1.33 60 ft.

put the alaohol carb on...made one pass and here is how it went...

let off the transbrake at my normal leaving RPM...The car stood STRAIGHT UP on back bumper,rolled hard right while up in the air..i peddled the car down (broke nothing thank goodness)...got back in the gas about the 100ft mark.....still ran a 5.98et with a 1.32 60ft ( on back tires and peddling) and clicked off close to 116 mph....

so yes the TQ increase is radical...ohh by the way i have readjusted my suspension and now have wheelie bars in place...i anticipate 3 mph increase and 3 tenths on the et..over gas....

injection is great and good for more ET if you can work out the space and plumbing on your car.

Brian

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 01-31-2008, 03:29 PM
olds48
RACING JUNKIE

:shock: Cool! Is an electric pump with alky an explosion hazard?Don't see how it could be any worse than gas.How low of a comp ratio can you use alky with?????
Old 02-03-2008, 07:39 PM
gasalley
CRAFTSMAN

electric pumps like the Holley black series are made for alky or ethanol work just fine.
my engine builder told me that 10-1 ratio was the lowest I should go to run E85 ethanol.
my buddy runs 12-1 on alky with good times.

Lon