DON'T BUY FRAM OIL FILTERS !!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-07-2008, 05:24 AM
denn468
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

are you guys talking about their regular filters or frams racing filters because i had their regular filter collapes on me but i now use their racing filters
Old 12-07-2008, 07:47 AM
dparker
RACING JUNKIE

With all the bad experiences out their with Fram filters, what difference would it make. Their are plenty of other good filters that haven't had these problems. Why take any chances with your engine.
Dont use FRAM filters would be my bottom line opinion!!
Old 12-07-2008, 08:19 AM
denn468
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

has anyone had this problem with frams hp4 filters they are made for the high pressure oiling systems im not defending fram but i have not had a problem since i changed to the hp filters they are around 12 bucks at summit compared to 4bucks for the stock fram filter i also will change filters after readig this post but i still want to know if anyone has had problems with the hp filter
Old 12-07-2008, 09:12 AM
dparker
RACING JUNKIE

After my first bad experience with a stock Fram. I installed a Hp Fram. Didn't have any problem with the first one, but little while after the second one, my oil pressure went down to 40psi. Then 20psi, then to almost nothing. IMO I think something blows out in the filter. In their defense, everytime I've heard of this, it was with an engine with more than 60psi. Mine engine idles hot at 50psi but goes up to almost 80psi with the rpm up. You can run one, and it may work, but I think its a problem waiting to happen.
Old 12-07-2008, 04:00 PM
superbadass532
JOURNEYMAN

Hey guys....... I went to court Friday. I asked the judge for a continuance because I happened to know a judge and I told him about a week ago about my problem and he said don't go in without a pro witness someone that looked at my parts and is in the business of building engines. So I didn't ! I couldn't get my engine builder quick enough for my court date so I asked for a date in Jan. The judge did ask us to go out in the hall at the court house to see if we could "work" things out......... Well I did just to see if maybe they would maybe settle out of court,but the guy Honeywell/Frams lawyer brought with them who was suppose to be Frams expert said Fram isn't going to pay on this because they don't think they are at fault and that maybe it was contaminents in my oil that caused the failure!? Are they kidding contaminents. I told this "expert" that I ran this exact engine , oil and oil filter all last year without any problem so why now ? Contaminents? Then he asks me if I drag race the car? Yes. Then he says well that filter wasn't meant to be used on that application. Well I have one really big question......... Why is the NHRA logo on the Damn box!!!!! I'll bring this up in court in Jan. I can't wait to hear their answer!

Stan
Old 12-07-2008, 05:47 PM
koab26
SHOW GUEST

I HAVE BEEN DIRT TRACK RACING FOR FOUR SEASONS NOW AND I CAN TRULY TELL YOU THAT I HAVE NOT SEEN ONE DRIVER WITH A FRAM FILTER ON THEIR RACE CARS. I KNOW FOR A FACT MOST OF US RUN WIX, I ALSO RUN WIX FILTERS ON MY DAILY DRIVER WHICH IS ALSO THE VEHICLE THAT I PULL MY CAR TO THE TRACK WITH WEEKLY. I WORK FOR OREILLY AUTO PARTS AND I PERSONALLY WOULD RECOMMEND TO ANY CUSTOMER TO PURCHASE OUR HOUSE BRAND RATHER THAN A FRAM. NO B.S IT'S PRETTY SAID WHEN THE BIG COMPANIES ADVERTISE CRAP SAYING THAT IF THERE IS ANY DAMAGE TO YOUR VEHICLE DUE TO THE USEAGE OF OUR PRODUCT WE WILL PAY FOR DAMAGES. WELL THE BEST WAY TO GET BACK AT THEM IS TO SLAM THEM ON EVERY WEBSITE THAT YOU AND YOU FELLOW RACERS VISIT. BUST THEIR ASSES.
Old 12-10-2008, 06:24 PM
TheRabbit
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by superbadass468
Hey guys....... /Frams lawyer brought with them who was suppose to be Frams expert said Fram isn't going to pay on this because they don't think they are at fault and that maybe it was contaminents in my oil that caused the failure!?
Stan
It want help you now, but for anybody in the future. Get an oil sample and send it to a lab. I'm a manager for a heavy equipment co and we sample all fluids (Trans, engine oil, hyd oil, rear and front axle, final drives) when we service equipment. That would have given you proof from a lab that specializes in oil test. Would be hard for fram to beat that.
My 1994 chevy silverado was completely stock.
FRAM OIL FILTERS ARE JUNK!!
Old 01-07-2009, 02:46 PM
supergass
JUNIOR BUILDER

Default It doesnt have to be a race application for FRAM to fail!

OK my turn! I have a 1994 Toyota 4x4 truck with a 22r 4 cyl. I drive it everyday. Wal Mart stopped selling the AC Delco filters so I bought a few frams for the first time about 2-3 years ago. One day the engine oil light came on and I didnt beleive it so I kept moving on but slowly. In another 50 yards I heard the valve train start to rattle and I shut it off. I got out and checked the oil first thing, no oil on the stick....I couldnt believe it! I got help and added oil to the fill mark and started it up. NO OIL PRESSURE! I went and got my truck and race car trailer and brought it home. A friend of mine is a toyota mechanic. He ask me what filter I used and I said a fram is on it now. He said CHANGE THAT FIRST THING. I did and the oil pressure came right back. Guess what else........It all of the sudden had double the amount of oil in it!!! Now on these engines the filter is on its side! Where did all that oil hide?? Weird if you ask me. I am lucky I was paying attention. If someone else was borrowing my truck and that happened it would have been history and I wouldnt know why. You guys....it doesnt have to be a race application for these things to fail!!
Old 01-08-2009, 06:30 PM
superbadass532
JOURNEYMAN

It is amazing how many people have had problems with Fram filters! These guys at Fram aren't going to admit to their filters failing because that would be an admission of guilt and if that happened WOW could you see the people coming out of the woodwork!I was talking to my engine builder today about the same subject and he said he has had alot of engine failures that he could attribute to Fram filter failure but knowone is willing to go after these guys!!! Everyone thinks that they are so big that they can't be beat!!! Well I hope to prove that WRONG next week! Wish me luck!

Thx everybody that has chimmed in on this thread!!!!I'll keep you posted.

Stan
Old 01-08-2009, 07:29 PM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

It is my understanding that the Fram filtering material is so fine that they are not able to move the required flow of high volume pumps, thus causing internal collapse. Or as in a daily driver, the long term wear of internal engine components as well as contaminants, etc., will plug them up faster.
In other words, they are over built.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -