question that needs answering? PLEASE!!!!!!!

Old 11-27-2011, 11:53 AM
Kleeckman
SHOW GUEST

Default question that needs answering? PLEASE!!!!!!!

I have always ben an avid fan of local short track dirt racing and as of late it is something that i m considering becoming more involved in well start racing but with this i am torn i would like to begin in a crate sportsman but i have always ben told to start in the lowest class say street stocks or something like that but i definitely would rather start in a crate sportsman any advice or feedback is appreciated thanx
Old 11-27-2011, 04:56 PM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

One baby step at a time. Start in the 'lower' ranks, gain experience and knowledge, spend a TON of money but not as much as a more advanced class. You bite off more than you can chew and you'll become VERY disenchanted VERY quickly. Circle burnin' is an intense type of racing where the learning curve is almost straight up.
Get on with a successful team as FREE but EAGER help, learn as much as you can for a season, then build or buy a street stock.
I've been down this road myself as well and have seen MANY newbies come and go cuz they won't listen, don't learn, or think they're hot poop until they get surrounded in a pack of hardened veteran racers. A BIG eye opener ! :shock: :shock:
I LOVE oval track, it is my ultimate type of racing to participate in. It IS VERY time consuming and consumes a LOT of money. It also helps to have at least ONE dedicated crew member that wants it as bad as you do. Not a free loafer that just wants to get in free to watch the races.
Old 11-28-2011, 05:29 PM
outlaw256
RACING JUNKIE

listen to dd. he knows what hes talkin about.
Old 11-29-2011, 05:27 AM
Kleeckman
SHOW GUEST

thanks for the advice def appreciate it ive seen budget sportsman class's that look like a good start and i no it would probably be an easier learn to start in a atreet stock and im thinkin thats probably the way ill go but with that said i to have seen no experience drivers bring out caution after caution staring out in a sportsman mod but ive seen some with success and a start in a sportsman isnt unheard of my plan would just go to do pre season hot laps and just keep learnin as i go also ive seen people get stuck in the street/pro stocks never moving up i just love modified racing and am eager to get involed
Old 11-29-2011, 04:41 PM
DRTRCR22
EXPERT BUILDER

Kleekman, I have been circle jerkin over 30 years, and I for one, along with thousands of others, can tell you that the most fun you will ever have in any racing is in the beginner classes. EVERY driver should get all the "seat-time" training possible in EACH previous class before investing time, money and stress in trying to be the baddest cat out there.

Going fast costs big money, and trying to keep up with the latest top runners is out of sight. No matter what you do you never can seem to catch up with the top five hereos who are lucky enough to secure deep pocket sponsors, but only after they have proven themselves in the lower ranks. You will be so disenchanted, frustrated and stressed about how much you have invested, financially and emptionally, only to keep going backwards.

I know, as that is where I am at now with my A-Mod program, and have been the past few seasons. I am ready to just throw in the towel all together, cut my losses, and go back to a hobby stock car where I had the most fun ever. And, now the street and hobby stock cars are going faster than when I was in street and super stock class many years ago.

Words of wisdom... start at the bottom and have all the fun before it gets too complicated...
Old 11-29-2011, 05:25 PM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

Boy Howdy there !
When racin' stops being fun, your passion and performance as a driver suffer. Then the "Ef it" attitude worms it's way in to every facet of your operation.
The absolute lowest class a track has is ALWAYS going to evolve into a faster(more expensive) class. That's why you'll see tracks introduce new 'entry level' classes every so often. Purty soon THEY are so competitive and expensive they have to start ANOTHER 'entry level' class, and on and on.
Another big factor for the domestic 'bomber/hobby stock classes evolving into Street Stock, is the burning rate of domestic 'stock' cars to build into race cars. They're all being snatched up for muscle car restos/build ups,( OR THEY'VE BEEN CRUSHED for $$$$$$) etc.,so there's nothing left to use as circle burners. That's why they've started so many 4 cylinder classes, or recycled old tube framed super stocks into street stocks.
Old 11-29-2011, 06:39 PM
Kleeckman
SHOW GUEST

im not worried about the winning aspect yet and im sure ill never get tired of dirt racing i love this shit i just really dont wanna spend 3-4k on a street stock then 2 years later invest another class of car with that said in my area budget sportsman are all over and im pretty sure i could get a good deal on one and honestly id be happy runnin those for 10yrs then racin street stocks for 3 then switchin win or loose id be happy just in it
Old 12-01-2011, 07:00 PM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

If your not in it to WIN, then your wasting your money and time on upper level fully adjustable chassis classes. Like I said before, the learning curve of an adjustable chassis car is STRAIGHT up if you have ZERO experience in how to make even a basic 'stock' suspended car handle. Then there is the hundreds/THOUSANDS of laps of windshield time to LEARN HOW TO DRIVE it without hitting the wall or taking everyone else out and become a winner once in a while. I can guarantee there are 95% of your class WANTS TO WIN BADLY.
Old 12-02-2011, 06:52 PM
DRTRCR22
EXPERT BUILDER

I again have to agree with DD. After 20 years of racing stock class cars I only thought I knew how to drive a race car. I then jumped into an "adjustable" car, as DD says, in my case straight up to an IMCA A-Mod, and I got my ass handed to me on a platter. That was ten years ago, and even with all the help from dozens of so-called "experts" I still haven't figured out how to drive these cars to be successfull or at least enjoyable. You ask fifty modified drivers how to set up and adjust these cars and you will get fifty one different answers (someone always changes their story mid stream because they haven't a clue). That is why there is not one person dominating any of the A-Mod, E-Mod, SportMod, or Sportsman classes. Yes, there are several consistant players in the top 10 most nights, but each will admit that every night at every track is a different challenge to figure out.
But, I sense that you have already made up your mind, and wonder why you even bothered to ask in the first place, so these replies go out to those prospective future racers who wonder how big they should invest. Some beleive they will be better than Tony Stewart on their first night out, and others will understand how Dale Jr. feel these days... )
Old 12-03-2011, 01:36 AM
outlaw256
RACING JUNKIE

I GET DIZZY WHEN I GO AROUND IN CIRCLES.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -