Another problem with my 383!

Old 11-05-2007, 08:27 PM
mcarlo383
SHOW GUEST

Default Another problem with my 383!

Any ideas on what would keep my motor from turning over? i just finished my 383 build, finally pulled it outside to get its first burnout, and the car stalled at about 4000rpm. Keep in mind its a full roller 2bolt, with 11:1 comp. and im pretty sure the starter is good. Also the carb is fresh out of the box, yet to be tuned. and previous to the stall the motor wouldnt turn off? it would take about 45 seconds for the motor to turn off after turning the key off... Any help is much appreciated!! Im going insane!! hehe' :roll: :roll:
Old 11-06-2007, 03:28 AM
rabiddawg
DYNO TECH

are you saying its dieseling?
thats a timing issue
Old 11-06-2007, 04:13 AM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

I AGREE WITH THE TIMING ISSUE..

who set TDC ?....I would recheck all of this if i were you...the only true way to set TDC is to pull the head and place a dial indicator on #1 .....what you can do that will be somewhat close...is take off the 1,3,5,7 valve cover ( assuming your chevy)and all spark plugs ( easier to roll over motor)....roll motor over until you see #1 piston all the way at the top of cylinder..a flash light will do...the 2nd and most imprtant thing is make sure both valves are closed on the #1 piston when its up..its possible for #1 piston to be up and the valves be open...this is called over lap....many people have made the mistake of getting #1 up but did not take off valve cover to make sure both valves were closed..and their timing was 180 degress off...which will not work i assure you...

once you do this roll the motor over to where your pointer on the harmonic balancer is on "0" degrees....if TDC was set up properly beforehand this should be TDC....NEXT JUST ROLL MOTOR ON AROUND REAL SLOW AND PLACE THE POINTER WHERE YOU WANT YOUR FINAL TIMING TO BE EX" 35 DEGREES, 37 DEGREES...ETC.....

you must roll the balancer on around to the desired timing..if not and you tray to start at "0" ..it will not fire..

hope this was descriptive enough for you.

Brian

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 11-06-2007, 01:22 PM
SST4530
DYNO TECH

Running after you turn off the key- Aside from the dieseling or timing issue, this may ocurr if your running an alternator or electric fans and they aren't isolated from the ignition circiut.
Old 11-06-2007, 02:19 PM
mcarlo383
SHOW GUEST

thanks guys, im pretty sure it is the timing, im going to try setting it again tomarrow.. I just dont understand how the timing could have changed when i have timing gears? unless the distributer could have walked..
Old 11-07-2007, 03:07 AM
cepx111
RACING JUNKIE

Well guys I think its not a dieseling issue anymore if the motor wont even turn over anymore, gathering from this qoute.

"Any ideas on what would keep my motor FROM turning over? i just finished my 383 build, finally pulled it outside to get its first burnout, and the car stalled at about 4000rpm"

I would try and turn the motor by hand manually with a socket on the harmonic balancer.
If you cant get it to turn over then you proabaly have some internal issues.
So pulling the motor would be manditory, and then some exploratory surgey.
Goodluck, Charles
Old 11-07-2007, 01:59 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

i didn't pick up in his message that is was 100% locked down..if this is the case,,you got more then timing problems...please clear this up for us ..is the motor locked down?..i took it as it stumbled or cut back at 4,000 rpm's ????? but i am getting old and DO NOT READ OR TYPE so well anymore. LOL

WELL AFTER I RE-READ IT I SAW WHERE HE SAID 1ST SENETENCE IT WOULD NOT TURN OVER...just didn't register at the moment..i read to far ahead...

Brian

Old 11-07-2007, 03:26 PM
SST4530
DYNO TECH

i am getting old and DO NOT READ OR TYPE so well anymore. LOL
Me too Brian! Guess it didn't register with me either at first. LMAO!!!

Maybe rod to block clearance, or rod to camshaft clearance issues, or he got the cam timing way off when he installed the gear drive and the valves are hitting the pistons..... Ooouch! Hope none of these ar the problem. :?
Old 11-07-2007, 04:26 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by blittle
i am getting old and DO NOT READ OR TYPE so well anymore. LOL
Me too Brian! Guess it didn't register with me either at first. LMAO!!!

Maybe rod to block clearance, or rod to camshaft clearance issues, or he got the cam timing way off when he installed the gear drive and the valves are hitting the pistons..... Ooouch! Hope none of these ar the problem. :?

all the above plus some...OUCH !!!!!!!

Old 11-10-2007, 06:06 PM
mcarlo383
SHOW GUEST

Actually i just finished fixing the timing today, and you guys were right, it was way off for some reason, and that fixed that problem... BUT afterwards it started pouring oil out of the header collector, so i believe i may have either shreaded a ring, or bent a valve... not to sure until i pull the motor

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -