Tubes or no Tubes !!!

Old 11-09-2010, 01:05 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by bjuice
I run Tubes on a 3,000 lb 10.5 Oultaw car...never had tire shake Yet. I like the extra support on the heavier car with smaller tire Consistant 1.10 and 1.11 60fts.

ps. I even ran tubes on my high 5 second low 6 seconds cars also...just for the pure fact it was less hassle of putting air into them all the time.....my time is worth something...you go and add up all the time you spend placing air in leaky tires and you will find it will be the smartest $50.00/$100.00 one time spend you will ever make in Racing.

http://www.youtube.com/user/63topspo.../3/dP9MzOuTs9I

Just my opinion only
Brian, is that the issue people fear when they decide not to use tubes? Are they concerned about tire shake or is it the extra weight or what? As I said,the last time I bought tires I left them out just because people I talked to said "Aww you don't need them tubes.Take em out."

I loved the fact that they N E V E R went flat.
Old 11-09-2010, 03:19 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by Tod74
I run Tubes on a 3,000 lb 10.5 Oultaw car...never had tire shake Yet. I like the extra support on the heavier car with smaller tire Consistant 1.10 and 1.11 60fts.

ps. I even ran tubes on my high 5 second low 6 seconds cars also...just for the pure fact it was less hassle of putting air into them all the time.....my time is worth something...you go and add up all the time you spend placing air in leaky tires and you will find it will be the smartest $50.00/$100.00 one time spend you will ever make in Racing.

Just my opinion only
Brian, is that the issue people fear when they decide not to use tubes? Are they concerned about tire shake or is it the extra weight or what? As I said,the last time I bought tires I left them out just because people I talked to said "Aww you don't need them tubes.Take em out."

Tod the answer is Yes along with the other stuff you mentioned in general...just more stable in a heavier car..you have felt the difference in your own car as well...Most of the 10.5 guys around here run them and are really quick and glued to the track...My car has had some power thrown to it off the line..1300hp on motor,300 shot off the brake and another 350 in by 400ths out and yet to shake the tires with close to 2,000 hp all in well before the 60ft mark

I have heard excuses for not running them, heavy rotating weight etc......but thinking back the guys I heard saying this have not ran within 1/2 second of the guys running them....lol

When ever I get the chance Tubes and running as much Air Pressure as you can always is a good thing for stability particulary in heavier cars 2850 +

also the side walls on the higher hp cars start going away at about 20 passes...so the tubes are providing a saftey feature here as well

so I hope I answered your Question...the concern is definatley more in the Tire shake/ stability side of things rather then rotation Weight

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 11-09-2010, 03:29 PM
Big409
CRAFTSMAN

Just my opinion only

Tod the answer is Yes along with the other stuff you mentioned in general...just more stable in a heavier car..you have felt the difference in your own car as well...Most of the 10.5 guys around here run them and are really quick and glued to the track...My car has had some power thrown to it off the line..1300hp on motor,300 shot off the brake and another 350 in by 400ths out and yet to shake the tires with close to 2,000 hp all in well before the 60ft mark

I have heard excuses for not running them, heavy rotating weight etc......but thinking back the guys I heard saying this have not ran within 1/2 second of the guys running them....lol

When ever I get the chance Tubes and running as much Air Pressure as you can always is a good thing for stability particulary in heavier cars 2850 +

also the side walls on the higher hp cars start going away at about 20 passes...so the tubes are providing a saftey feature here as well

So would it be safe to say dragsters go with no tubes???
Old 11-09-2010, 03:36 PM
BEAST477
RACING JUNKIE

I don't run tubes anymore. I put two coats of dishwashing liquid inside on the sidewalls and I have fewer problems with air pressure changes during the day at the track. Also in the winter I put 20lbs in them put it on jack stands and they still have air in them 6 months later. Just what works for me. To each his own. Now it's just a coin toss for you. :lol:
Old 11-09-2010, 03:37 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by Big409

Just my opinion only

Different Animals we are talking about here... the weight difference is the main thing....i would not be as concerned with Slicks in a rail as i would a high hp heavy door car...or a heavier door car in general ...

Juts like tranny's...i seen rails run 1.76 planaterys with stock casings forever running 4.70's in a bracket series....while this same tranny in a heavy door car is on edge every pass which ends up snapping the 1.76 every time

Old 11-09-2010, 05:21 PM
Big409
CRAFTSMAN

Originally Posted by Big409

Just my opinion only

Different Animals we are talking about here... the weight difference is the main thing....i would not be as concerned with Slicks in a rail as i would a high hp heavy door car...or a heavier door car in general ...

Juts like tranny's...i seen rails run 1.76 planaterys with stock casings forever running 4.70's in a bracket series....while this same tranny in a heavy door car is on edge every pass which ends up snapping the 1.76 every time

I wish I would of found you guys sooner, I really like this sight. My dad was a old timer and did not like this stuff. He just did not know anything else ,but try it ,work, try it ,and cuss a lot Thanks again for all your help.
Old 11-24-2010, 05:26 PM
mikeaton
MASTER BUILDER

ever had a tube come apart in a burn out or at the big end? well its not good. i decieded to pitch the inner liners and tubes and just run the slicks! and the double bead locks as well.
Old 11-24-2010, 06:34 PM
spib
RACING JUNKIE

I mounted some quick time pros on my wifes 67 this last yr, 4,000lbs or more
a guy told me to use this on both sides of rim lip right before mounting,
http://www.jamestowndistributors.com...ct.do?pid=9400
no tubes no leaks
I have tubes on my blazer
wont run them again
Old 11-24-2010, 09:51 PM
cepx111
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by mikeaton
ever had a tube come apart in a burn out or at the big end? well its not good. just run the slicks! .
I have, and it wasn't pretty, a friend of mine lost in the finals due to a tube failure, talk about disappointing.

I've never ran tubes in any of my cars, usually if they leak it's one of three things, a leaky valve stem ($2 fix) or seepage which in that case, a $2 dollar bottle of dish soap works wonders or you have a hole in the slick somewhere that needs addressed.....

To whomever, feel free to edit my post at will.

Chow>Cp
Old 11-25-2010, 05:21 AM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by cepx111
Originally Posted by mikeaton
ever had a tube come apart in a burn out or at the big end? well its not good. just run the slicks! .
I have, and it wasn't pretty, a friend of mine lost in the finals due to a tube failure, talk about disappointing.

I've never ran tubes in any of my cars, usually if they leak it's one of three things, a leaky valve stem ($2 fix) or seepage which in that case, a $2 dollar bottle of dish soap works wonders or you have a hole in the slick somewhere that needs addressed.....

To whomever, feel free to edit my post at will.

Chow>Cp

Don't come back in here throwing Punches unless you like being punched Charles..I assure you I ain't no Punk (ON OR OFF INTERNET)..I can Let this go if you People think you can get over it as well....This is Old News Man...lets move on or Don't start whinning when I swing back !!!

Now...Happy Thankgiving

PS
I apologize to the orginal poster for the small Hi-jack we had someone who didn't have enough respect for his fellow Forum member.To keep his low blows elsewhere..like PM'S

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -