What to do after high school?

Old 10-30-2010, 04:02 PM
Scooterz
RACING JUNKIE

Don't burn me at the stake for this, it is truly my own opinion & it has worked in my life... not for everyone.

I wasted two years in college in a cloud.... still chasing girls... never graduated. I was immature at best!! I was in & out of a few jobs until I learned some skills/trades like the other people mentioned. IF YOU GO TO COLLEGE, TRY HARD & DON"T JUST GO FOR KICKS...

I will say this: After "finding myself" I probably make more money now than 80% of college grads... excluding lawyers & doctors & such. My point is, if you want to MAKE MONEY, "college" does not really teach you about that too much. Making money is in selling, investments, Real Estate, etc... which is not really found in colleges that teach degrees in "political science" & "arts" or "eco-geek" stuff... I know many who have gone to college & gotten various degrees & are now logging, carpenters, & have some menial crap jobs.... BECAUSE THEY ARE STILL PAYING FOR THEIR EDUCATION. (try not to be one of those guys)

Last, find a job/field that you want to do. Try to decide on the work field first; then acquire the education to get you there. Next, INVEST. Let those investments pay for some of the toys you want. JMO!!! Scooter
Old 11-01-2010, 03:54 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

If i were in your Shoes I would study as much for the ASFAB military test to score high.. and try and strike a deal in writing with the AIR FORCE to where they will pay to continue your eduction in the mechanical engineering field or computers etc...Spend 25 years with them and retire with full benefits...So you could retire with full benefits/ insurance drawing a nice little monthly Check and then you could go out and start a 2nd Civilian Career somewhere..they even have Cilivian Jobs with the Military many retired Vet take on and make Good Money.

If Scocial security is still around...you could have 3 Nice checks coming in at 65 yrs old...Aire force retirement, 2nd Career Retirement check/ 401k, and Social Security.

Son you have a great thing before you right Now..grab a-hold of it,,,the years will go by quiker then you think...wouldn't you like 8k-10k a month rolling in as income without having to get out of bed each day when your older...with paid Insurance ????

This is the route I would take if I were you

Just to give you an idea how 401k will work for you here is a little example

401K INFO TIDBIT

Based on a 50k year salary with an 8% return with an annual contribution of $4,000 per year you will have $319,122 in the bank after 25 years...let me say 8% is modest..you could see 16% + return which would double the $319,000 to $640,000 ($4,000 PER YEAR or $83.00 per week gross off the top PRE-TAX. CONTRIBUTION..YOU WILL NEVER MISS THIS PRE-TAX DEDUCTION FROM YOUR CHECK WHEN IT COMES TO NET BRING HOME MONEY)

I wish someone would have drilled this in my head at 17 yrs old and I would be a multi millionaire today at 44 yrs old just from 401k only.

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 11-01-2010, 04:00 PM
mopar1968
RACING JUNKIE

I agree with Juice military is the way to go :!: :!: JMO Mark
Old 11-07-2010, 04:07 PM
laxking012
JUNIOR BUILDER

Does anybody know any good automotive schools other than wyotech or uti? preferably something relatively close to Maryland
Old 11-08-2010, 10:42 AM
TheRabbit
RACING JUNKIE

This is simple...........don't do like me!

Marry a Laywer or Doctor or even a Dentist or at least make sure she has rich parents.
No matter what you do MAKE GOOD SOUND DECISIONS. Save at least half as much as you spend and you'll have a ton of $ before you turn 50.
Most "well off" people live like their broke and can't afford to pay "rent". They don't make millions, their just cheap and want buy stupid things or have many toys.
Good luck and let us racing junkies know how you're doing in 20 years! lol!!