strdmn aka Wally Kimberlin in Akron Ohio is a liar and scam

Old 05-24-2010, 02:54 PM
wlpatterson
EXPERT BUILDER

Default Not A 406?

I would think if your into cars it would have taken you only a moment to look at the balancer & Know you didnt get a 400? I have also built & Traded a few engines in my lifetime but I guarentee you couldnt sell me a 350 as a 400?? JMO..The seller also knew it wasnt a 400..
Old 05-24-2010, 03:03 PM
TonyLittell
JUNIOR BUILDER

Default Re: Not A 406?

Originally Posted by wlpatterson
I would think if your into cars it would have taken you only a moment to look at the balancer & Know you didnt get a 400? I have also built & Traded a few engines in my lifetime but I guarentee you couldnt sell me a 350 as a 400?? JMO..The seller also knew it wasnt a 400..

As I said, shame on me for not doing my homework, but No, I didnt know how to tell the difference in the blocks until my builder showed me the other day... I still dont know how to tell if an 010 block is a 302, 327 or a 350.... but i do know how to tell if its a 350 block vs a 400 block now...I have always looked at casting numbers which i couldnt see because of the booster and valve covers and how far back the motor sat in the truck.... even with the valve covers off i had to take a camara and squeeze it in there and take pictures until i got good pics of the casting numbers
Old 05-24-2010, 04:42 PM
TonyLittell
JUNIOR BUILDER

well i asked him to pay for half of a used "mild 406" and I pay the other half
so the truck has what was advertised. I think im being more than fair. see what happens
Old 05-24-2010, 06:35 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Don't want too get in a pissin contest, but there's not way in hell you can tell if it's a 406" by the balancer in a built motor. Every crank manufacture sells the crank with neuteral balance or external balance cranks. I've got 2 406" motors and a 434" motor, i can assure they all run 350 balancers (neuteral balance) you have too look at the block too know the difference. Even the cheap rotating assy's come either neuteral balance or external balance, your choice.

Zip.
Old 05-24-2010, 06:47 PM
TonyLittell
JUNIOR BUILDER

Originally Posted by zipper06
Don't want too get in a pissin contest, but there's not way in hell you can tell if it's a 406" by the balancer in a built motor. Every crank manufacture sells the crank with neuteral balance or external balance cranks. I've got 2 406" motors and a 434" motor, i can assure they all run 350 balancers (neuteral balance) you have too look at the block too know the difference. Even the cheap rotating assy's come either neuteral balance or external balance, your choice.

Zip.
what about the freeze plugs? also its a factory balancer.
Old 05-24-2010, 07:10 PM
suicidebomb
RACING JUNKIE

X2 on what zip said, plus some late model 350s are externally balanced. I don't think you can absolutely tell by the core plugs either.
Old 05-24-2010, 07:44 PM
wvhippie
MASTER BUILDER

Zip.
Zip what would be the monetary difference in a mild 350 build and a mild 406 build? That would be the diff owed on the deal I would think. I know not knowing what is in the motor makes it difficult to arrive at a number. I am in no way an engine builder I have someone else do all mine but I dont think that it would be that much diff in the builds
Old 05-24-2010, 08:15 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by tonylittell

Zip.
what about the freeze plugs? also its a factory balancer.
Factory balancer probably tells it best. The 400 blocks comes with both 3 freeze plugs and 2 freeze plus. The 509 blocks usually has 2 freeze plugs and are 4 bolt main blks, but the 511 blocks come with both 2 and 3 freeze plugs, depending on the yr. I've got a 509 on the engine stand right now that has 2 freeze plugs and is a 4 bolt main block. I've got a 377" (400 blk)in my Malibu that has 3 freeze plugs and is a 511 blk and is a 2 bolt main.

Bottom line Tony is that the ad was misrepresented and you should expect to get what you were told you were getting.
But i'm a high performance engine builder and a racer. I don't build many street motors, but have sold 4 rotating assy's in the last 6 mos. both 406" and 383's.
I feel more comfortable building a 383 or 388 than i do a 406 because the 400 blks have a tendency to crack between the head bolt holes and the cyliners or the steam holes and cause many overheating problem, plus the cylinder walls are very thin on the 400 blks.
I personally would rather have what you got than what was advertised.

Zip.
Old 05-24-2010, 08:23 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by wvhippie

Zip.
Zip what would be the monetary difference in a mild 350 build and a mild 406 build? That would be the diff owed on the deal I would think. I know not knowing what is in the motor makes it difficult to arrive at a number. I am in no way an engine builder I have someone else do all mine but I dont think that it would be that much diff in the builds
It cost the same to build a good streetable 350 or a 406" The cranks cost the same the rods cost the same, and the pistons cost the same. You can buy a cheapie rebuild kit for a 350 for about $400.00 including crank, rods and pistons, where it would cost about $600.00 to buy a rotating assy for a 406 or a 383. Eagle,Scat and other people sell them.

Zip.
Old 05-25-2010, 04:15 AM
TonyLittell
JUNIOR BUILDER

Zipper06

Im missing atleast 50 cubic inches .... using the same parts to build each motor (as in same length rods, same compression pistons, same heads ect)
how much horsepower would you say that 50+ cubic inches would translate too?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -