Fuel Pump

Old 01-23-2009, 07:59 PM
racebob
SHOW GUEST

Default Fuel Pump

I am wondering what is best electric fuel pump to use for my motor. I have a Shafiroff 540ci, 725hp in a 69 Camaro. It will be mounted in and under rear of car so I need something to get fuel to motor. If it matters,I also plan on using a 100 micron filter before pump. Also another question, I am using a #12 line from tank to pump and #10 from pump to regulator so will my #8 return line be OK or is a #10 needed. Have been told both ways that #8 is Ok and also to small. What about tank line, is #12 OK or can a #10 be good enough. Told I need a #12. Thanks!
Old 01-24-2009, 02:34 AM
dparker
RACING JUNKIE

I think your right on each. You should step down 2 between each; tank, pump, regulator to carb. Start with 12an; 10an; 8an. The #8 is right on the return also. I would advise a Magna Fuel pump 500, but BG, Aeromotive, Product Engineering are also good. I like the Magna Fuel 4 port regulator. I usually plug two ports on one side making it easier to run fuel lines to the carb. I also run the filter after the pump but before the regulator, but I think the way you have it will be fine also.
Old 01-24-2009, 02:45 AM
ashtrak
MASTER BUILDER

X2 I would setup the same way DPARKER said to and go with top notch pump and never look back
Old 01-24-2009, 12:30 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

I would advise a Magna Fuel pump 500
I agree. great pump. My car has a 540 and I run the filter before the pump and -10 all the way to the regulator and -6 to the carb and -8 on the return, I use the magna flow 500 pump. I've never had issues but the way dparker described would be better...you can't really go wrong with overkill on the fuel system in my opinion...do it right this time and you'll be set if you need more later.
Old 01-24-2009, 04:21 PM
Racefab57
DYNO OPERATOR

Go Magna flow 500,its a great pump!!!! DR Thats what Ive got ,had good luck with it...
Old 01-25-2009, 12:39 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

magna fuel here also..i also run a in-line pro1 systems filter after pump

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 01-25-2009, 05:33 PM
superstreeter
SENIOR BUILDER

I havent read much on the magna flow,,is anyone running one on the street, I hear some pumps arent meant to be run on the street, race track only,,,sorry if I`m budding in, but might be usefull to others reading.
Old 01-25-2009, 06:28 PM
superstreeter
SENIOR BUILDER

One more thing to add, I see the first post racebob, looks like you have a return line to use from the regulator, can you still use a return line from the regulator with the magna pump, it has a bypass at the pump already? and my system runs a return from the regulator also, do you block the return from the pump, on a magna pump?
Old 01-27-2009, 05:12 PM
racebob
SHOW GUEST

I have a question concerning a few responses. A few of you said that you
put a filter after pump. I was told and I also called BG and they say a fuel
filer should be put before pump to filter fuel before entering it. BG said a filer can be put between regulator and carb but not between the fuel pump and regulator which a few reponses said. Any feed back is much
appreciated. Thanks!
Old 01-28-2009, 01:08 PM
Scooterz
RACING JUNKIE

I agree. Filter before pump (how mine is) & filter after Reg. Also I have 10 from tank to pump, 8 to reg. & 6 to carb BBC 427 (works fine)... in your case I agree using 12 to 10 to 8an for your mtr as it will need it more than mine. If a electric pump such as a Magna flow pro-star 300/500 is used, I do not see why you can not run it on the street! They always advertise "for extended & sustaned use". Properly set up for the street, that is excatly what i would use. Good luck & have fun!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -