What's faster stick or automatic cars

Old 01-20-2008, 05:34 AM
qtrmile2
DYNO OPERATOR

Default What's faster stick or automatic cars

It's Winter. I guess it's time to think about dumb things.
What do you guys think?
Will a race car have a better ET running a stick or automatic.
Why do you think a stick is faster than an automatic or visa versa.

We had big block vs small block. What about stick vs automatic?
My vote goes to the stick car.
Old 01-20-2008, 06:24 AM
v8Fiero
MASTER BUILDER

well, for the basic differances:

manual- lighter weight, less rotating mass, way more fun to drive, but much harder on the trans and rear end.

auto- much more consistant, can fine tune shift points more accuratly then a stick

both can have launch limiters like a 3-stage rev limiter for manuals or a trans break or foot break for autos, and both have good aftermarket parts avail depending on the car.

I would say if the car is slower then 12.00 a stick would generally be faster ETs, and if you run quicker then a 12.00 an auto will give faster ETs since shift points becomes more difficult to reproduce with a stick car faster then 12 sec.

that said, Im hoping to break into the 10s this summer with my manual fiero.
Old 01-20-2008, 06:37 AM
bignastygs
SENIOR BUILDER

I agree with the above post and also think it has alot to do with driver. I have always ran a stick in my Buicks,but now crossed to the other side and am going with TH 400 with manual reverse pattern..Must be something to do with getting old and eyesight loosening a little..I always sucked at running an automatic car at the track,so all my buddies are licking their chops and wanting to line up against me. It sure is alot easier removing a 4 speed compared to a standard trans. Lots of weight difference.
Old 01-20-2008, 06:54 AM
us7race
EXPERT BUILDER

I have a friend who had a Mustang it had a stick he ran some 6.60's on spray (160HP) we old him we figured it would pick up for sure with an automatic..and he ran the exact same didn't pick up anything..
Not sure if the converter wasn't the best one for the car or what but he bought it all new for his combo..He was really good at shifting it though.. :twisted:
Old 01-20-2008, 07:24 AM
wfge
APPRENTICE

what is the point\purpose of a reverse pattern automatic?
Old 01-20-2008, 07:31 AM
spib
RACING JUNKIE

I am not gonna get involved in this topic, but I sure think that your cam looks bad ass vince when you take off, and your boys put on a good show too!!!! 8)
Old 01-20-2008, 08:45 AM
olds48
RACING JUNKIE

WFGE, I wonder the same thing.I have a reverse pattern in my car,but only cause I got a shifter from a friend that was rev patt.Guy at the speed shop told me that rev patterns can run higher line pressure,but that don't make sense to me.Wouldn't your line pressure be what ever you set it up to be at the pump?
Old 01-20-2008, 09:38 AM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by olds48
WFGE, I wonder the same thing.I have a reverse pattern in my car,but only cause I got a shifter from a friend that was rev patt.Guy at the speed shop told me that rev patterns can run higher line pressure,but that don't make sense to me.Wouldn't your line pressure be what ever you set it up to be at the pump?
I just thought it was cause it is a more natural movement / easier to pull the shifter back rather than push it fwd.. :?
Old 01-20-2008, 09:50 AM
olds48
RACING JUNKIE

There's probably something to that.But MAN,when you're used to running a forward pattern Z-gate and swap over to a Rev pattern Q-stick.IT SUCKS TO GET USED TO
Old 01-20-2008, 10:34 AM
lively
RACING JUNKIE

I LIKED THE VERTICAL SHIFTER IN MY MUSTANG---I COULD SHIFT VERY CONSISTENTLY 8) 8)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -