383 oil pan clearence help

Old 04-04-2014, 01:22 AM
nitro63
JOURNEYMAN

Default 383 oil pan clearence help

chevy 383 motor with scat rods 5.7 and crank, i am needing help with anybody knowledge of previous builds for a oil pan that will clear. the block has already be clearenced, i called moroso for a oil and was told 20191, got it and put it on, turned the crank and yep oil pan jumps up, i cant tell if its the rods or the rods hitting the rail of the oil pan ??? . i did put the oil pan gaskets on and then the pan just to dummy it up before install on the silicone, i called back to moroso and told them again what i was building but this time was told 20180 ?? geee thanks guys !! need any help you guys can give me on oil pans, what brand and a part number you know would clear , dont want to be running back and forth to the local shop in town.. here is my info on the car

68 camaro
stock subframe
350 (383)
scat rods 5.7
oil pan needs to be 8.25 depth
2 pc rear main seal

Thank you
Old 04-04-2014, 05:06 AM
curtisreed
RACING JUNKIE

I am using this pan. http://www.champpans.com/products/p/cp60lt/ Before I had one of the Stef's aluminum pans but oil control was worse.

I am surprised you would hit with a 3 3/4 stroke. I use the one piece gasket but even without it I don't hit. I have used this pan with a set of import H-beams rods and now with Callies H-beams, no problem either way. I think you are really going to have to find out exactly where it is hitting and go from there. I would suggest dykem on the inside to see where it rubs. Just my 2¢

Curtis
Old 04-04-2014, 05:54 AM
mytmouz
RACING JUNKIE

I am with the above post. I have a pump gas 383 ith aftermarket rods in the parts stash that uses the stock gm oil pan that was originally installed on the block before the stroke occurred...
Old 06-30-2014, 02:16 PM
painter
APPRENTICE

Are you totally absolutely positive you have a 3 3/4 stroke crank? What other parts and what size parts were changed during the build of the short block? Just asking.