effective old school slapper bars...

Old 02-11-2010, 05:57 AM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by PxTx

Check out the right side slapper and how much it is bowed under the torque loads on it at the time of launch !! :shock: :shock:
Old 02-11-2010, 08:00 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

In 1968, while living in Anderson SC. i had a customer come to me with traction problems with a 1966 Camero conv. He had a 427" with a clutch turbo 400 running 10.5 M@H tires 4.56 gear 12 bolt had to weigh 3520 lbs. for the class. The engine was built by a guy in Fla. I don't exactly remember his name but i think it was Art Carr and we was running B/MOD production. His name was Jim Little, the car was called little by little.
Anyway i built a set of slapper bars out of 2X3 rec, tubing, very similar to what you are seeing, useing a rubber bumper on the front at the spring eye, but i did one more thing i extended the bar to about 8" behind the axle and put a sq. ubolt to limit the spring wind up, i left about 1" clearance/travel before the ubolt would start limiting the windup (if you remember in those days Chrysler had a pinion snubber) Anyway the car had such a big cam it would bog unless we came out at 5500 or above. I maintained and tuned the car for about a yr., The car would run 10.91 @ 127 mph. The national record was 10.89@126. I could never get the car to run the ET but was well over the MPH record. We won every race we went too, including the first ever national event race at Rockingham, SC. The car was deadly consistent and would pull the front end about 18" every pass. Slapper bars do work in the right situation.
This was a monoleaf car.

JMO

Zip.
Old 02-12-2010, 06:35 AM
PxTx
SHOW GUEST

This is what is on the car right now (kinda). It is an old school, "long tail" bar as I call them, but what you are saying about preventing spring wrap s a good idea.

I've got a set of these too, but neither of them touch the spring eye the way I want it to.

Old 02-12-2010, 06:55 AM
wmeabates
MASTER BUILDER

Someone used to make tapered spacers that went between the spring and the bar to adj the angle of the bar.They were to adj pinion angle when used on top of the spring.But You could use them under the spring to adj.the bar angle.Bill.
Old 02-12-2010, 02:17 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by wmeabates
Someone used to make tapered spacers that went between the spring and the bar to adj the angle of the bar.They were to adj pinion angle when used on top of the spring.But You could use them under the spring to adj.the bar angle.Bill.
Lakewood still does.

Zip.

http://www.eautoworks.com/product-Lakewood-310049.htm