TIMING ? AGAIN

Old 08-13-2009, 02:28 PM
OneBadGMC
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by JEFF69Z28
Originally Posted by OneBadGMC
It doesn't matter where it's pointing, so long as you can get the cap orientated where #1 is #1.

Standard, as I was taught, is to try and point the rotor at #1 when it's on #1.

In reality, the thing can be pointing at #5, so long as #1 is in the #5 position on the cap.

Know what I'm saying???

You've also not given us enough information on the motor. Alky/gas? Compression? Spark Plug Gap? N/A? Nitrous? Blower/Turbo? What ignition system? Mechanical Advance? Vacuum advance?
GAS MOTOR,11.5 COMP,45 GAP,NO POWER ADDERS,MSD 85551 DIST.MSD BLASTER SS COIL,MSD 6AL2 BOX,DIST.IS LOCKED OUT.
Whats the inside of the cap look like? Is there any carbon tracing inside? Carbon tracing will look like someone took a lead pencil to the cap.

Whats the rotor look like? Is the tip eaten away at all? What about the posts on the inside of the cap? Do they have any grooves in them? Is the spring on the rotor making good contact with the center post on the cap?

It sounds to me like spark is either being cross fired from carbon tracking, or it's not jumping the gap at all due to weak spark.

So, it could be...

Weak Coil
6AL box is firing
Carbon inside the cap
Rotor to cap connection isn't sufficient.

Just speculation though.
Old 08-13-2009, 03:59 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

I have mine locked out and I never have to touch the timing once the distributor is in, although I do check it with a light. I put the balancer at exactly 38 deg btdc and put the distributor in with the rotor pointed exactly at the #! plug post...If I need to I turn the oil pump with a screwdriver. It has always been on the money when I start it and put a light on it. This only works with the advance locked out.
Old 08-13-2009, 07:08 PM
kwkracing
RACING JUNKIE

i think your timings off from what you think it is or theres another issue
Old 08-13-2009, 08:42 PM
cepx111
RACING JUNKIE

I'd re-gap the plugs to no wider than .032 and try again.
JMO>Cp
Old 08-14-2009, 01:42 AM
JEFF69Z28
DYNO OPERATOR

Originally Posted by cepx111
JMO>Cp
I THOUGHT OF THAT,BUT MSD SAID 45 TO 50,WHAT WOULD BE THE REASON OF A SMALLER GAP?
Old 08-14-2009, 01:43 AM
JEFF69Z28
DYNO OPERATOR

It doesn't matter where it's pointing, so long as you can get the cap orientated where #1 is #1.

Standard, as I was taught, is to try and point the rotor at #1 when it's on #1.

In reality, the thing can be pointing at #5, so long as #1 is in the #5 position on the cap.

Know what I'm saying???

You've also not given us enough information on the motor. Alky/gas? Compression? Spark Plug Gap? N/A? Nitrous? Blower/Turbo? What ignition system? Mechanical Advance? Vacuum advance?
GAS MOTOR,11.5 COMP,45 GAP,NO POWER ADDERS,MSD 85551 DIST.MSD BLASTER SS COIL,MSD 6AL2 BOX,DIST.IS LOCKED OUT.
Whats the inside of the cap look like? Is there any carbon tracing inside? Carbon tracing will look like someone took a lead pencil to the cap.

Whats the rotor look like? Is the tip eaten away at all? What about the posts on the inside of the cap? Do they have any grooves in them? Is the spring on the rotor making good contact with the center post on the cap?

It sounds to me like spark is either being cross fired from carbon tracking, or it's not jumping the gap at all due to weak spark.

So, it could be...

Weak Coil
6AL box is firing
Carbon inside the cap
Rotor to cap connection isn't sufficient.

Just speculation though.
I HAVE NEVER THOUGHT OF CHECKING THE CAP AND ROTOR.IT HAS BEEN ON THERE FOR 2 YEARS NOW.
Old 08-14-2009, 01:46 AM
JEFF69Z28
DYNO OPERATOR

Originally Posted by montecarlo84
is the blancer on the money,if it is a two peice it can slide,just a thought.

or a valve to tight?
1 PIECE ATI BALANCER
Old 08-14-2009, 03:55 AM
johnracer
DYNO OPERATOR

A few more ideas if the cap & rotor check out: rotor phasing way off or if you have a bronze dist gear, it may be worn out.........
Old 08-14-2009, 04:08 AM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by cepx111
JMO>Cp
I THOUGHT OF THAT,BUT MSD SAID 45 TO 50,WHAT WOULD BE THE REASON OF A SMALLER GAP?
High cylinder pressure can "blow out" the spark if the gap is too large....maybe a poor way of wording it.
Old 08-14-2009, 04:14 AM
JEFF69Z28
DYNO OPERATOR

Originally Posted by johnracer
A few more ideas if the cap & rotor check out: rotor phasing way off or if you have a bronze dist gear, it may be worn out.........
GEAR IS NEW, BUT I CHECKED IT WHEN I HAD THE DIST. OUT AND IT LOOKED GOOD.IM GOING TO RACE IT TONIGHT AFTER I INSTALL NEW PLUGS AND CAP&ROTOR.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -