BURNOUT

Old 11-17-2008, 04:41 PM
radicalz
MASTER BUILDER

Default Re: BURNOUT

Originally Posted by TYSON14
When i am in the water box the car wont run straight. So we put a little preload on one side and nothing happen. But what i dont understand is that it will run straight down the track. We put a string on the suspension and every thing seems to be right. So what next?

...sounds like you're not in the box right like 1 tire is behind and 1 in the water have somebody put you in with both rear tires in... :wink: :wink:
Old 11-18-2008, 06:06 PM
silverranger
APPRENTICE

if you have had any welding done on the rear,check the width at the front and rear of the tires to make sure the axle tubes are not wharped. a buddy of mine had the same problem.it would take an elephant to hold it straight in the water. the axles would go in fine,but the right tube was bent in bad. steering the car sideways.it also was scrubbing the rubber off of the right slick....just something to check.
Old 11-18-2008, 06:53 PM
kwkracing
RACING JUNKIE

Axles do warp pretty easy! You wouldnt think so , but a small weld will pull the tubes no problem! All welding and cutting needs to be done before the housing ends are put on!
Old 11-18-2008, 10:53 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

When i am in the water box the car wont run straight. So we put a little preload on one side and nothing happen. But what i dont understand is that it will run straight down the track. We put a string on the suspension and every thing seems to be right. So what next?

If it goes straight down track why would you change the chassis?
Old 11-18-2008, 11:45 PM
dparker
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by Tod74

How a chassis car does a burnout can show you that something is not right on chassis setting. When your going down the track your not spinning your tires so you can keep your car in the groove.
We had a car this year, running a 632, whose rear tires would jump to the left whenever the driver hit the gas in the water box. He would turn into it, leaving the ass end of the car hung out and smoke the tires across the starting line. This car made numerous passes running 8.40s with no apparant problems. A few of the racers told him that something was off in his chassis to do this. He came to the track for another race and decided to try his throttlestop. When the thottle stop came back on it blew the tires loose and the car jumped to the left just like it always does in the water, only this time he was at half track. The car shot from the left lane to the right guard rail totaling his 80,000 dollar racecar.
I think there's alot of cars that have a pretty good chassis that are not set right that still go down the track. Big tires and a well built chassis will shadow wrongfully setup chassis. But when the tires are spinning, it magnifies missettings on the chassis.
Old 11-19-2008, 12:55 PM
kwkracing
RACING JUNKIE

Take the car and put on a alignment rack and let us know what it read!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-19-2008, 03:45 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by dparker
Originally Posted by Tod74

How a chassis car does a burnout can show you that something is not right on chassis setting. When your going down the track your not spinning your tires so you can keep your car in the groove.
We had a car this year, running a 632, whose rear tires would jump to the left whenever the driver hit the gas in the water box. He would turn into it, leaving the ass end of the car hung out and smoke the tires across the starting line. This car made numerous passes running 8.40s with no apparant problems. A few of the racers told him that something was off in his chassis to do this. He came to the track for another race and decided to try his throttlestop. When the thottle stop came back on it blew the tires loose and the car jumped to the left just like it always does in the water, only this time he was at half track. The car shot from the left lane to the right guard rail totaling his 80,000 dollar racecar.
I think there's alot of cars that have a pretty good chassis that are not set right that still go down the track. Big tires and a well built chassis will shadow wrongfully setup chassis. But when the tires are spinning, it magnifies missettings on the chassis.

Just curious. How big of a tire does your friend run..reason i ask this is because i agree with you Big tires can be forgiving and even mask a problem in the chassis set up..( one reason i run big tires 8) )

and what was the reasoning behind running the throttle stop with the problems he was having ?..sure fire way to unload a good working chassis on Big hp engines

Just curious.. :?:

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 11-19-2008, 05:16 PM
dparker
RACING JUNKIE

He's a rich business man that use to race 15 years ago and what I hear was pretty good racer. Now that he has unlimited funds, he buys a RM 632 and a all round tube chromemolly car. He started asking everybody's opinion and followed what whoever he talked to last had said. Someone told him to put a thottlestop on and it would be safer until he got everthing just right. Only thing is he had never run a TS and didnt know to bring it on just out of the gate and to set it where it would come back on very slowly. He blamed the track saying it wasn't prepped properly. But very few tracks will hold a 1100HP car coming right back on the TS. He took out 50ft of guard rail and 5 telephone poles that were used to support the guard rail. He was uninjured and within 2 weeks had purchased another Jerry Haas car.
Old 11-19-2008, 06:08 PM
rob41willys
SENIOR BUILDER

I agree with BJUICE that more wheel speed during the burnout should cure the problem. Chassis are all different depending on types of suspensions, wheelbase, corner weights and driver sizes you may not always be able to get your weight bias the way you would like it. sounds like you just have more weight on one side. ( probably drivers side ) no big deal. as long as the car leaves straight and goes down the track straight.
Old 11-22-2008, 09:05 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

I don't know if this post is worth replying too, he makes one post and 10/15 people reply, DParker seems to know the person, but Tyson has not responded in 2 weeks after asking the question :roll:

Zip.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -