Cold!

Old 01-06-2014, 09:23 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

9 degrees here tonite in La. and i'm only 100 miles from the gulfcoast, i don't like it at all in my old age. I grew up in Chgo. from my early teens until 34 yrs old, the cold didn't bother me then, but now i hate it. I lived in Phx. for over 20 yrs and went thru 110 degree summers, learned to live with that, so i guess i'd complain if i lived in the south pacific :lol:

Zip.
Old 01-07-2014, 03:46 AM
shybx1969
MASTER BUILDER

Originally Posted by TheRabbit
11*, ouch that hurts!! Hope you get it thawed out.
I think it's suppose to get to 11 for us Monday night and a high of 40 Tuesday. I don't function well in that kind of cold. lol. My little garage is full of winter projects too. You can bet I'll have the truck plugged in every night next week.

I honestly, don't see how people live up north where it's 20 and 30+ below.
I guess mother nature has her way of keeping us separate. She keeps us southerns out of the north with the extreme cold and keeps the Yankees out of the south with the 100* + heat in the summer! lol
Its like when i visit my father in law in NC in summer..100deg everyday i said too him how do u do it.Old dude across the street wears long sleeve shirts...he said hes done it all his life..lol
Old 01-07-2014, 08:08 AM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

Long sleeves in high humidity is actually cooler as your sweat is wicked away through the cloth and acts as an air conditioner.
Old 01-07-2014, 12:15 PM
Harbone
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by TheYellaBrick
Long sleeves in high humidity is actually cooler as your sweat is wicked away through the cloth and acts as an air conditioner.

Yeppers and pale ass white boys like me keep from getting fried in the sun that way!

As close to "Normal" as I can get...
Old 01-07-2014, 01:54 PM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

Us old western boys sport a farmers tan year 'round. Too many older guys are ending up with skin cancers from too much sun exposure, so I wear jeans and T-shirts, ball cap, hardly ever 1/2 naked.
Old 01-07-2014, 01:58 PM
shybx1969
MASTER BUILDER

Originally Posted by TheYellaBrick
Us old western boys sport a farmers tan year 'round. Too many older guys are ending up with skin cancers from too much sun exposure, so I wear jeans and T-shirts, ball cap, hardly ever 1/2 naked.
See us northern boys like me wear shorts, tshirt in 100 deg weather.But i wear cutoffs in the winter, if im moving around , unless its below zero, or im drag racing for safety...
Old 01-07-2014, 02:06 PM
TheRabbit
RACING JUNKIE

Weather man said we hit 12 last night ( not sure what the wind chill was) and the high today was only 28. My kitchen sink froze and that's only the second time it's done that since I've lived here. I had to put a heater under the sink for more than an hr to thaw it out and that was at 5:00pm.
Good news is it'll be 72 Saturday! lol
Old 01-08-2014, 03:24 PM
shybx1969
MASTER BUILDER

Originally Posted by TheRabbit
Weather man said we hit 12 last night ( not sure what the wind chill was) and the high today was only 28. My kitchen sink froze and that's only the second time it's done that since I've lived here. I had to put a heater under the sink for more than an hr to thaw it out and that was at 5:00pm.
Good news is it'll be 72 Saturday! lol
It just aint FAIR 72deg on sat.... :roll:
Old 01-08-2014, 05:03 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Monday night was the coldest night since 1985. It froze up the well pump inside the brick well house. I took a Jet heater out of the shop and turned it on in the 12x12 well house and within an hour it broke free. That Jet Heater throws out some BTU's...its on the side Im thinking it said 60,000....does this sound right ? I will check it tomorrow.

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 01-08-2014, 08:32 PM
csx8506
SENIOR BUILDER

Default Cold

It got down to 16* here, in South Georgia, one nite, and 18* the other nite, one nite the wind chill was -5*F. I live in the country and didn't have any frozen pipes or water tank. I used to have frozen pipes very often, till I did a good bit of work, foam insulation, electrical heating wires with a thermostat that applies on your water pipes, and biggest help of all, was moving my 100 gallon water tank into a well insulated room that I added onto my house for that purpose. No heat inside the water tank room at all, just the water temp. out of the deep well of about 65* keeps it from freezing. Since I used to make my living as a carpenter, I did all the work myself.
I'm like a lot of other people on here, I don't see how you guys from up north cope with this type of weather! Many years ago, I was working in Birmingham, Al. and the outside temperature was 6*F and I asked myself "what was I doing here"!! dgh

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -