ladder bar help

Old 01-08-2008, 09:26 AM
kw89425
MASTER BUILDER

Default ladder bar help

i have a ladder bar car that i want to lower the ride height will i have to make any changes in the ladder bars?
Old 01-08-2008, 06:35 PM
SST4530
DYNO TECH

Depends on how you lower it.
Old 01-09-2008, 03:38 AM
us7race
EXPERT BUILDER

Keep an eye on pinion angle if you keep that where it needs to be and don't lower the front mounting point it will hit the tires harder..mine always spins if I hit them too hard. but remember lowering the rear will help it transfer weight easier..always a plus.
Old 01-09-2008, 01:41 PM
kw89425
MASTER BUILDER

im going to lower it by the shock mounts
Old 01-09-2008, 04:18 PM
us7race
EXPERT BUILDER

That is a good way to do it since you will have plenty of adjustability when you get done. Just remember to check and if needed reset your pinion angle to get it back where it needs to be...too much breaks u-joints and destroys driveshafts and transmissions..
Old 01-09-2008, 05:06 PM
SST4530
DYNO TECH

What he said! Strike that, I agree with Ed's statement below.
Old 01-10-2008, 04:02 PM
edvancedengines
DYNO OPERATOR

Location: VA Hospital, Dallas, Tx (214 302 1924) cell-972-464-7400

Huh?

and don't lower the front mounting point it will hit the tires harder..mine always spins if I hit them too hard. but remember lowering the rear will help it transfer weight easier..always a plus.
How?
If you lower the body it is attached to the frame in most cars. That means the frame is also lowed which will lower the ladder bar front mounting location. That change will absolutely NOT Hit the tires harder. It will hit the tires softer. Think about it, or plot it out if you need to.

You are lowering the point of Instant Center. You are lowering the actual Center of Gravity. You are even slightly lowering what some call the squat/no-squat line.

Lowering the rear of a car also does not improve weight transfer. That is something we thought back in the early 1960's. We raised the front and we lowered the rears. Doesn't work. You will not see one serious working car at the track that is set up like this.

Now back to the question and I do agree with checking and re-adjusting your pinion angle.

If you car is like most cars I have seen with lader bars, lowering it might help it. Most I have seen have too much monkey motion going on.

Ed
Old 01-10-2008, 04:50 PM
mcracecars
EXPERT BUILDER

Huh?
ditto...
Old 01-10-2008, 05:27 PM
kw89425
MASTER BUILDER

i want to lower it for looks but i still want it to work like it should when i let the little button go
Old 01-11-2008, 03:58 AM
us7race
EXPERT BUILDER

Originally Posted by edvancedengines
Huh?

and don't lower the front mounting point it will hit the tires harder..mine always spins if I hit them too hard. but remember lowering the rear will help it transfer weight easier..always a plus.
How?
If you lower the body it is attached to the frame in most cars. That means the frame is also lowed which will lower the ladder bar front mounting location. That change will absolutely NOT Hit the tires harder. It will hit the tires softer. Think about it, or plot it out if you need to.

You are lowering the point of Instant Center. You are lowering the actual Center of Gravity. You are even slightly lowering what some call the squat/no-squat line.

Lowering the rear of a car also does not improve weight transfer. That is something we thought back in the early 1960's. We raised the front and we lowered the rears. Doesn't work. You will not see one serious working car at the track that is set up like this.

Now back to the question and I do agree with checking and re-adjusting your pinion angle.

If you car is like most cars I have seen with lader bars, lowering it might help it. Most I have seen have too much monkey motion going on.

Ed
You are right about hitting the tires harder..it will soften the hit (apoligize :wink: ) But I still think a car that is level or even just below level will transfer weight easier...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -