hard times finally hit home

Old 03-07-2009, 01:59 PM
mikeaton
MASTER BUILDER

Default never quit

well as the economy takes its toll on all of us racers, i for one will have to pick and choose the races we go to as well. i even thought of selling all the race stuff but then i had a thought, ive never none anything else but race. what the heck would i do? and id never get 50 cents on the dollar on my junk.when we built this operation i had just sold alot of real estate at the height of the market so i did very, very well and also im one of the lucky ones that have a great long time sponsor who is willing to go the extra mile to keep us racing.as long as i can get to the track even a couple of times a year ill never sell my stuff. heck last week i spent almost a grand just in the registration on the tractor and trailer and over a grand on the darn insurance. but this is what i do and its cheaper than therapy.lol keep in the seat it will keep you young at heart! mike
Old 03-07-2009, 06:42 PM
THERATTLER
RACING JUNKIE

Yes Zipper ,,I am employed,,self employed ,(was retired) I need some new equipment for my business and that comes first. I will be back in on a smaller budget as soon as things get a little better..thanks everybody for the kind words , but , things are what they are. hell , the last two that I sold were the last ones , too :lol:
Old 03-07-2009, 07:01 PM
MEMRACING62
RACING JUNKIE

hey , with so many guys selling car because of the economy they should start a new class for bracket racing for x tow vehicles :idea: :idea:
Old 03-07-2009, 08:17 PM
kw89425
MASTER BUILDER

a grand for truck and trailer isnt bad. hell i got one thats about 1700 to tag. just the tractor and i dont even use it for my tow rig but it does pay the bills
Old 03-08-2009, 04:37 AM
Oldewalnut
SENIOR BUILDER

Default quiting racing

Paul,

I took a 20 year hiatus. Similar to many today, 1988 was my year of reckoning, pay cuts, other financial problems, life in general, I was fed up. Parked the car. Got married a year later, just didn't get back into it.

I did keep my car and most of the tools. I had a few offers to sell but stubborness and the fact that a couple just wanted to beat me out of the car, just couldn't let it go. Take a little time, if you decide to jump back in, there'll be plenty of avenues to choose from.

Robert Swartz
Old 03-08-2009, 04:56 AM
outlaw256
RACING JUNKIE

didnt mean to sound so harsh, for that im sorry. but i hate to see someone have to give up something they love.and i dodnt mean like whiskey!i mean a way of life, when it wasnt their fault.i do understand where your at on this because im almost there myself. i have no idea how we are gonna pay the shop bills at the end of the month anymore but some how we have been.last spring and summer we had a crew. now its my son me and my cousin who is with us part time.i get no pay but the boys do.i mean they will.tey havee to cover my butt because i really cant do much but if i couldnt atleast be around the bikes and hotrods id blow my brains out.i cannot lay in bed just because i hurt. id hurt alot worse without the shop.as im sure you do without your race car.im selling the last of my harleys so i do understand. good luck buddy ken
Old 03-08-2009, 07:51 AM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

I call it MENTAL THERAPY. Stay active in some small way to keep your sanity. A healthy mental state equates a healthy physical state.
Old 03-08-2009, 01:53 PM
Scooterz
RACING JUNKIE

Maniac, I know that was hard for you & your wife... I am sorry you had to be put in that position. You will be back however... even if it is just like me... doing pro-street, occasional strip, or just a cruze down main st. As long as you keep what is in your blood IN YOUR BLOOD. So scale down some, keep going to the shop & turning wrenches. This would be a great time to put together a badass 55 chev Gasser... piece by piece... or something. God Bless, Scooter
Old 03-08-2009, 11:11 PM
outlaw256
RACING JUNKIE

yeah scooter thats what i was trying to say.