Help with oil leak in a sbc

Old 04-21-2010, 05:32 PM
johnracer
DYNO OPERATOR

Is this a street car with mufflers? If so, the evac tube may not be working at all with backpressure. If it's a race car w/open headers, it really needs evacs on both banks and make sure the checkvalves work.
I'd try a pair of breathers on the valve covers just to see if crankcase pressure is the problem....
Johnny
Old 04-21-2010, 06:08 PM
allchevys
SHOW GUEST

Thanks to both you guys I will try the breathers on both sides first and go from there.
Its a street car now with super 40 flow masters and 3" all the way back. the motor is pretty tight since it is for the street more than race now
that is one bad car you got there hope you hit the #.
Old 04-21-2010, 06:12 PM
allchevys
SHOW GUEST

Hey Craig. I had to use a strap wrench which crushed the filter like a can and I used a pipe on the handle. the filter was only on there two weeks and hand tight with a 1/2 turn for some reason they get tighter by themselves (Im talking about the filter now) LOL thanks and will let you know what happens if the rain stops here tomorrow
Old 04-30-2010, 01:09 PM
kwkracing
RACING JUNKIE

Sounds like the oil galley plug under the driver side head in the rear of the block deck is not tight. Leaking oil, running down and on to the filter. and exhaust.

Have to pull the head to tighten