oil accumulator

Old 07-20-2007, 05:34 AM
racear2865
APPRENTICE

We do as Bill does, we have accusumps on many of our motors. But only to prelube before start up. We use one on the dyno also. You will find that there is indeed air trap in the container. Remove the intake and or watch at the rockers and you will see aeration. And Bill is correct in that the hydo dynamic wedge is lost if engine is running. You will need to make a decision which is worse, a drop in pressure as a result of starvation in the pan or aereated oil. Both are killers of engines. My opinion.
racear
Old 07-26-2007, 09:17 AM
upstand
APPRENTICE

It was a STP filter .
Hmm I'm going to have to think about what you guys said. I really only need it at the end of the 1/4 mile while slowing down and I did add two additional Qts of oil.
Old 07-26-2007, 10:44 AM
curtisreed
RACING JUNKIE

Here is some reference material on oil filters if anyone is interested.

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilterstudy.html

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters.html

Curtis
Old 07-26-2007, 02:34 PM
billhendren
MASTER BUILDER

Originally Posted by upstand
It was a STP filter .
Hmm I'm going to have to think about what you guys said. I really only need it at the end of the 1/4 mile while slowing down and I did add two additional Qts of oil.
If you only need it when your slowing down that means you were out of oil in the pan or darn near out or your baffles aren't working. we had a customer who put his own engine together and had the same type problem,when we took the mail order pan off the problem was clear,the baffles were installed backwords so they delayed oil from returning to the pickup. a non offshore pan fixed the problem. if your pan is ok next time the engine is apart you need to fix the drain back issues and that problem will go away.Bill
Old 07-26-2007, 05:27 PM
truk
APPRENTICE

i to have that same problem . with a stock 460 ford block and how do you fix the drain back problem? any ideas?
Old 07-27-2007, 06:34 AM
upstand
APPRENTICE

It's a claimer 7qt circle track pan with trap doors. A champ pan I think it's called.
To be honest I thought it moght be the problem , putting the accumulator on was just easier.