Wiring up a Ford Solenoid / Wiring up 2 batteries

Old 10-23-2008, 02:41 PM
bowtie4542001
DYNO OPERATOR

Default Wiring up a Ford Solenoid / Wiring up 2 batteries

Hey guys, I am going to put a ford solenoid on my Camaro. It has a regular chevy starter on there now. If I remember correctly, you have to jumper something on the original starter. I just can't remember. Also I am looking for some diagram to help me wire up 2 batteries. I have the recharging post and the on/off switch that needs wiring as well. I had wired it up on my old Nova but can't remember for the life of me how I did it. I guess I am getting old . Thanks in advance for any help and/or advice.

Chris
Old 10-23-2008, 03:58 PM
fla1976
RACING JUNKIE

Default Solenoid

I put a piece of steel that I cut and drilled to fit between the starter battery terminal and the terminal that normally has the wire from the ignition switch. The cable from the starter terminal goes to one large terminal of the solenoid. The battery cable from the battery goes to the other side of the solenoid. The small wire that went to the Chevrolet solenoid goes the the Ford solenoid. The batteries need to be hooked up in parallel. The positive from one battery goes to the positive of the other battery. The same with the negative then you ground the negative cable to the frame. The positive cable then goes to one post of the battery switch and the other goes to Ford solenoid. Wire it into the system and you're set. Hope this helps.
Old 10-23-2008, 04:21 PM
bowtie4542001
DYNO OPERATOR

Default Re: Solenoid

Originally Posted by fla1976
I put a piece of steel that I cut and drilled to fit between the starter battery terminal and the terminal that normally has the wire from the ignition switch. The cable from the starter terminal goes to one large terminal of the solenoid. The battery cable from the battery goes to the other side of the solenoid. The small wire that went to the Chevrolet solenoid goes the the Ford solenoid. The batteries need to be hooked up in parallel. The positive from one battery goes to the positive of the other battery. The same with the negative then you ground the negative cable to the frame. The positive cable then goes to one post of the battery switch and the other goes to Ford solenoid. Wire it into the system and you're set. Hope this helps.
Thanks for the help. I knew there was something I had to jumper. Okay, on the batteries. Would I take the positive from one of the batteries and wire it the positive post and take the negative post and wire it to the off side of the kill switch?

Chris
Old 10-25-2008, 07:38 PM
fla1976
RACING JUNKIE

Default Batteries

You would hook the positive posts of both batteries together and the negative posts of both batteries together. Then hook the negative post to the frame. The positive post is then hooked the the battery kill switch. Then the rest of your wiring is the same as it was, with the exception of the new solenoid.
Old 10-27-2008, 02:17 AM
bowtie4542001
DYNO OPERATOR

Default Re: Batteries

Originally Posted by fla1976
You would hook the positive posts of both batteries together and the negative posts of both batteries together. Then hook the negative post to the frame. The positive post is then hooked the the battery kill switch. Then the rest of your wiring is the same as it was, with the exception of the new solenoid.

Appreciate the help.

Chris
Old 10-28-2008, 07:26 PM
dak697
MASTER BUILDER

I have always wired 2 batteries this way

Frame to Neg battery 1 to Neg battery 2
Pos battery 2 to Pos battery 1 to starter or solenoid

I read it somewhere that you want to pull the negative one way and positive the other way.that way you are using the whole battery load available ..Balances out the battery and makes them last longer
Old 11-07-2008, 02:27 PM
sg1586
MASTER BUILDER

Originally Posted by dak697
I have always wired 2 batteries this way

Frame to Neg battery 1 to Neg battery 2
Pos battery 2 to Pos battery 1 to starter or solenoid

I read it somewhere that you want to pull the negative one way and positive the other way.that way you are using the whole battery load available ..Balances out the battery and makes them last longer

From what they tell me is that if you wire to two pos together the battery wire that goes to the starter will pull most of the load from that 1st battery..
:shock: :shock: I don't know if that is true but sure does sound good :mrgreen: